What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Spider-Man 3 (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Let me start off by saying the first two Spidy movies failed to impress me, there not very good and I consider them to be some of the worst in the realm of comic-book movies, right up there with the X-Men junk.

I was dying to buy something while shopping Target the other morning so I picked this up on Blu . I really have no idea why but after watching the first 2/3's, this is a damn good movie. So much better then the first two it's not even comparable. Great action, good story, some decent emotion, some good laughs, it's all there.

Can't wait to finish this up tomorrow night.

The A/V on this is top notch, nice to have a upcm track.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Tony,
No. Trust me on this :)

I liked #3 but wouldn't consider it even close to 1 or 2. It's good popcorn but the first 2 were far from popcorn which is why I think most folks loved the first 2 and didn't like the 3rd. That would also explain why Ron loved the 3rd and hated the first 2.

Viva la difference.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I get a huge kick out of Bruce Campbell! Bubba Ho-Tep is one of my favorites.

There's quite a diversity of opinion about Spidey 3 here, but it seems that everyone agrees that it looks and sounds terrific.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Spidey 2.1 is the best of the bunch, Spidey 1 was okay, but what the heck happened to 3??

Of course, this was much better than POTC 3, that's for damn sure. However, it's faint praise indeed. I did like the humor, but it would have been better if Eddie had been much more, um, villianous to begin with so Venum could see that Parker was waaaay too good (all Peter really turns into is a self absorbed uber-geek) and Eddie's hatred would make him the better host. Just a very poor use of Venum in the plot IMHO.

Dan

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Agreed - Bruce Campbell is always great to see and his turn in Spiderman 3 (which I really enjoyed, BTW) - was a distinct highlight!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watching this right now as I do my work on the forum.

You can tell how interested I am in this film.

What a wretched piece of crap this film is. The fact that it
looks great on Blu-ray doesn't even help.

Gonna turn it off 2 hours in. Can't even finish this.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you have to try again ron.
think of it more of the conclusion of the 3 part story like ROTK.
threads from the first two films.
Jacob

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I can safely say that this was the worst movie of 2007 hands down. As a fan of the first and second movies I was completely disgusted with where they took this film.

Felt like Spider-Man the musical to me. Just didn't feel right at all. Rushed, uninspired and just plain boring.

Highlander 2 was a better movie people.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I thought Spider-man 3 was the weakest of the three, but still pretty good. They just tried to put too much into it - would have been better to just focus on one main villian (Sandman or Venom) along with Harry.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Yep. when I reviewed this title I noticed distincly that the PCM native track sounded better than the TrueHD... and this despite the fact that Sony isn't applying DN to the TrueHD track.

My only way to do "lossless" right now on my PS3 is to send the decoded signal dowmixed to 2.0 stereo out the SPDIF output. Roger Dressler from Dolby confirmed that the PS3 is indeed sending out the decoded lossless TrueHD, in 2.0 form (as it sends out the 5.1 PCM track in 2.0 form over SPDIF as well).

I've ordered the Marantz SR8002 receiver with HDMI so next week I'll be able to compare the two tracks in mutli-channel mode with no downmixing. However, other reports by those with HDMI reflect my own impressions with the 2.0 comparison.

I can't stream the TrueHD to my new receiver for decoding because the PS3 won't stream advanced audio... just decode it. I state this bcs some listeners have reported improved sound quality with TrueHD when the receiver does the decoding versus the player.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Please, PLEASE tell me that SM3 isn't as bad as ROTK. I was so disgusted with ROTK that I haven't watched it since theatrical release.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the EE of ROTK was much better. still like the two towers ee better..
the only reason that I brought up ROTK.. it was like final movie conclusion with the treads created in the first two films. I still like the third movie the best anyways.. I did watch 1 and 2 back to back.. spidey 2 worked better that way for me. I still like 2.1 better.

Jacob

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Yes, I agree that they are very different movies. Meaning, previous two being good movies and the third being complete garbage. It's as bad as people are saying. Yupper.

Can anyone honestly say that the scene with Peter playing the piano at the club was good? Holy crap, it felt like a scene out of Anchorman, remember the flute? Yeah, but that was suppose to be funny. I don't think I've ever gotten mad watching a movie because it was bad, but for the first time in cinema history...I did!

I'm not sure how ROTK could even be muttered faintly in this thread? How can you compare the two? I have to remember that this of course is my own opinion and not to get to carried away...whew!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just got around to this tonight. PQ was amazing. I jumped back and forth between the two English 5.1 tracks and finally settled on PCM. The True HD was a bit louder, I thought, but the uncompressed is always so open and pure sounding.

The film was a mishmash. Too many villains, too many changes of heart too suddenly, and to my mind confused mythology for the super-characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks