What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Persepolis (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ronsreviews_covers_persepolis.jpg">

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have been looking forward to this title (missed it theatrically). Sounds like it was worth the wait. Thanks for the review, Richard.

- Walter.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks for the review! This was one of the best movie going experiences I had last year. A truly great film in my opinion.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
It was French with subtitles. I haven't heard the English track yet but I'm curious to see how it compares. From Richard's review it sounds a lot like what I heard on the French track with respect to the "punch" at the low end.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I already have this on DVD. I will double dip in a heartbeat and get this BD too. I’m curious to see it in English. If there was no Ratatouille that year, Persepolis would have won.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Other than the language, I didn't detect any significant differences between the two soundtracks.

I usually watch foreign films in the original language with subtitles, but in this case I found the English soundtrack to be entirely satisfactory. However, there are some differences. In the featurette about the English-language version, they mention that had to make some adjustments because French actors speak so quickly. They recorded the French soundtrack first, then completed the animation so the animation was in synch with the soundtrack. When they recorded the English version, it was more like a dubbing session because instead of synching the animation to match the soundtrack, they now had to synch the soundtrack to match the animation. Because the French actors tended to squeeze more words in the same time frame, in some scenes the English translation had to be shortened to fit the animation.

You can get an idea of what they did by turning on the English subtitles while listening the English soundtrack.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This will be the next title I add to my Blu-ray collection. I shall do so this weekend!!!!! :)

I WANT this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Has no grain as well, lol.

Had a strange experience though - the composite output caused the subtitles to go below frame, as if overscan was present. 1080p was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Embrywool
Recent bookmarks