Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Once Upon A Time in America

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
6,721
Location
The BK
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

Maybe in 3 years for the 30th anniversary it will be revisited in a truly outstanding package and transfer (perhaps also including the orig U.S. cut for reference purposes, etc.).

Hmmm... Is there really any significant likelihood of this? I can probably wait for that, if so. Although I love this film, I really don't get around to watching it since it runs so long -- and it's becoming harder and harder for me to find time to watch anything over 2 hours long these days.


_Man_
 

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Joined
Aug 27, 2001
Messages
1,480
Location
South Florida
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool


Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

Maybe in 3 years for the 30th anniversary it will be revisited in a truly outstanding package and transfer (perhaps also including the orig U.S. cut for reference purposes, etc.).

Hmmm... Is there really any significant likelihood of this? I can probably wait for that, if so. Although I love this film, I really don't get around to watching it since it runs so long -- and it's becoming harder and harder for me to find time to watch anything over 2 hours long these days.


_Man_

Probably not, which is why I'm not holding my breath. I love the film.
 

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Joined
Dec 1, 1999
Messages
20,513
Location
Gulf Coast
Real Name
Tony D.
A 269 (4 1/2 hrs) minute version to come? http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033710?refcatid=19&printerfriendly=true
 

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 22, 1999
Messages
11,370
Location
Florida
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sweet!


I remember reading about a longer cut for Italian TV, but never found much information. I suppose that might be where this is coming from.
 

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
6,721
Location
The BK
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Sweet!


I remember reading about a longer cut for Italian TV, but never found much information. I suppose that might be where this is coming from.


Hmmm... At that much extra length and w/out Leone's own actual involvement in this (and being so many years after the fact), will it really be all that "sweet" though?


OR is this uber-long version really his prefered/director's cut?


I guess this should make for a very interesting release to say the least...


_Man_
 

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
1,066
Not True ,the still file from the dvd is nice to have,they idea that the BR dosn't have it makes no sense, a real New SE of this title would really be great,this half -*&^%^& version

is pretty lame,Theres no space lelf on the dvd after all the many soundtracks
 

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Joined
Dec 1, 1999
Messages
20,513
Location
Gulf Coast
Real Name
Tony D.
Peter Neski said:
Not True ,the still file from the dvd is nice to have,they idea that the BR dosn't have it makes no sense, a real New SE of this title would really be great,this half -*&^%^& version

is pretty lame,Theres no space lelf on the dvd after all the many soundtracks
Peter I'm not sure who or what your reply is referring to or what you mean by this.
 

Rachael B

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
4,742
Location
Knocksville, TN
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think the film is plenty long enough. I don't really wanna see a longer version. Longer isn't always better, not even in Horseshoes or grenades. Movies over 3 hours give me leg cramps, over active bowel syndrome, hair loss, dry eyes, tearing, night sweats, crossed eyes, blood clots, acne, restless leg syndrome, and I can't keep my mind off that little, purple pill.


"....don't mess up a good thing..."
 

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
1,066
well theres no reason more can't be more,must of the best HBO shows go on for seasons ,A lot of time longer versions aren't better,but sometimes they are,The extra scenes


cut from the Godfather are great,and I am glad I have them,even if they didn't remaster them,1900 is better now as the longer version,and I am hoping this longer version comes

out as a real SE BR with both versions
 

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 22, 1999
Messages
11,370
Location
Florida
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It can go either way -- sometimes extended cuts are an improvement and sometimes they aren't.


As long as Rachael's pause button is working, we should be fine. ;)
 

RobertR

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 19, 1998
Messages
10,665
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez





+1 for the most part, I thought it looked good on my 92in FP set up. Alas, at this size, the DVD no longer holds together for me.


There is some buzz out there about how the image drops in quality after the 2 HR mark, and I do see more of a "dupey" quality to the image and resultant softness thereafter - but, it appears that the scenes with this quality are the "extended" sequences. I wonder how this was pieced together, elements, etc.

What an awesome, harsh bitter pill, romantic, and dreamy movie this is. All wrapped in one package.

My minor beefs with the film are the hilariously professional camera moves during the TV news sequences. Very odd...



Otherwise, Noodles can forget the money in the briefcase and go after Paul McCartney for royalties.


I feel the same way you do, Felix. One other thing I noticed that Noodles would have to "dream up" is someone named Jimi Hendrix as a guitar player.
 

Similar threads

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
344,482
Messages
4,711,189
Members
141,261
Latest member
metlerdavid