What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Moulin Rouge! (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks all!

Came here to see what the word was at HTF before stepping out to grab a copy.

Wanted to avoid another disaster like "Out Of Africa".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Came home late last night to find this Blu-ray

in my mailbox.

7 hours later I think I found the perfect way to

get the body started in the morning. Going to
share my secret with all of you now.

First, I poured myself a 20 oz. cup of coffee.

Then, I went into my home theater room, popped

in the new Blu-ray of Moulin Rouge, skipped over

to chapter 4, and turned the dial on my receiver

waaay up.

Let me tell you, nothing excites the mind and
soul like watching that sequence on a large 65"

display with the audio cranked.

That opening number featuring Jeff Broadbent

screaming "Because we can can can" is an

absolute mind-F to watch on Blu-ray. The

colors are brilliant and the sound mix is enveloping.

And, for the first time I can enjoy it at home with

the dialogue properly synched.

The film is a masterpiece.

Also like what Fox has done with the menu system.

Maybe I haven't been watching enough Blu-rays
lately but this is the first time I have seen an icon

box that shows you the title of the chapter you are

watching. Perhaps this is old hat by now but
certainly the first time I have noticed it. The studio

did an excellent job with the menus for this film

as well as The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

What a magnificent job Fox has done with this

Blu-ray!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wow - I added this title to my Christmas "wish list" and am now wishing I'd just left it off so I could run out and get a copy NOW. It'll be hard to wait another two months for this and many of the other titles that are out now or coming out soon.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Jason, what you need to do is put titles you want on your Christmas list that get released near Christmas, this way there is very little waiting and you can buy the titles like this one now.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Never seen the film, except for a few minutes worth of excerpts here and there, and not even in recent years. This sounds stupendous. SOLD. Or rather, putting on the Christmas list since there are so many Blu-rays in need of my wallet's attention right now...

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to hear they did this disc right. Your morning pick-me-up sounds great, Ron! My wife would probably kill me, though.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Can't wait to get it and see it in wonderful HD, and perhaps even more important, finally hear it without the PAL speedup. The movie definitely is an acquired taste, but when it finally grabs you, you want to keep watching it. It also somehow makes me feel old, since I remember the reviews coming out for the 2-disc DVD like it was almost yesterday, and now I'll be picking up the Blu-ray.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
One of my ALL TIME favorite movies! A masterpiece and one of the few blu's that I own that I would consider REFERENCE QUALITY! PERFECT!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Sigh. Here I go again... Using my Oppo BDP-83 player, the disc won't get to the main menu. The furthest it gets is the 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment logo and that's it.

I've deleted Persistent Storage, tried again, turned off BD-Live, tried again, no luck. I'm tired of hearing Oppo say Fox needs to fix (or get rid of) BD-Java and tired of Fox saying these companies need to get their act together to keep up.

I am reminded of that thread here where someone from Fox asked what customers want and the big issue is: "Let's get straight to the main menu, leave off the bells and whistles, so we can watch the movie!"

Oppo hasn't had a firmware upgrade since August (beta) and May (regular). How long am I supposed to wait until I can watch this movie???

Other affected Fox titles with Oppo BDP-83 I can recall: Dollhouse, 12 Rounds, Percy Jackson.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sorry to hear about your problems playing this disc, Keith. I noticed the disc took longer than normal to load on my Sony BDP-S350, but it did finally get to the main menu. Have I mentioned before that I really dislike the use of java on this format?

Anyway, all I can say about the transfer is... WOW!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I used a (fat) PS3 to do the review of this title, and it loaded quickly with no problems at all. When I reviewed another Fox title Predators yesterday, I used a Panasonic BD-80, and it took forever to load.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I also have the latest firmware, but I have the added bridge kit (http://www.oppodigital.com/wireless-bridge-kit-WBK1/) which I turned off to attempt to load the disc. It finally worked after about 20 minutes of trying. Sheesh, should it take someone that long just to attempt to START a movie?

And ... after I typed my initial message, I tried Predators and it took me even longer to start the movie. Wasted about an hour of my life trying to just start two movies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe you should try killing all BD-Live/internet related functions of your Oppo player.

I haven't had any such problems w/ my Panny BD60 even though quite a few folks complain about similar issues for that player. Usually, it boils down to the fact that I have all BD-Live/internet functions disabled from day 1 on my Panny while others did not (or did not always). With all that stuff disabled, my Panny player seems to load almost as fast as the PS3 I used to use (before its optical drive stopped working) -- and even the PS3 can be very slow to load depending on what's actually happening w/ the BD-Live stuff, if you have it turned on.

The only issue I've seen w/ my Panny is that I sometimes get what seems like an extra long, layer change pause on some discs -- though I haven't pursued it enough to feel certain that's what it is. And I have not done a single firmware update since buying the player ~10 months ago.

_Man_

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Won't play for me either....

Originally Posted by Keith I

Sigh. Here I go again... Using my Oppo BDP-83 player, the disc won't get to the main menu. The furthest it gets is the 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment logo and that's it.

I've deleted Persistent Storage, tried again, turned off BD-Live, tried again, no luck. I'm tired of hearing Oppo say Fox needs to fix (or get rid of) BD-Java and tired of Fox saying these companies need to get their act together to keep up.

I am reminded of that thread here where someone from Fox asked what customers want and the big issue is: "Let's get straight to the main menu, leave off the bells and whistles, so we can watch the movie!"

Oppo hasn't had a firmware upgrade since August (beta) and May (regular). How long am I supposed to wait until I can watch this movie???

Other affected Fox titles with Oppo BDP-83 I can recall: Dollhouse, 12 Rounds, Percy Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks