What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Men in Black (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ronsreviews_covers_mibbd.jpg">

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The animated commentary is likely ported from the old DVD, albeit blu-ray formatted (does it "look" any better?). Tommy Lee Jones must have had a bad cold when he sat in for that commentary, his nose is obviously sounding plugged up.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Had a chance to check this BR out last night. All in all, it looked pretty good, a definite upgrade from the Superbit DVD IMO. There were some spots where I noticed a little edge enhancement, but it wasn't intrusive. Close ups proved to be very detailed, easily showing pores on the actors' faces (as well as make up and Linda Fiorentino's bleached moustache! ;) ). I actually liked the fact that Sony didn't filter out the mild grain that's present as to me, it adds to the film-like appearance.

The sound was also pretty good. The part where Will Smith is chasing the cephalopoid (sp?) and he loses sight of him only to have it spring up from below made me jump! Good stuff. The bass is pretty strong as well and it reared it's head in several scenes especially when firearms are used. The part in the beginning where the alien is running to attack the police officers sounded great. Good job, Sony!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that the DNR monster isn't eating everything. :) Let's hope Sony keeps it that way.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I got my copy today, looking forward to getting it home and comparing it to the Superbit. Thanks for the review Richard.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I watched Men in Black last night with my son, and I loved the disc. Great AV quality, with fine grain structure intact, with burned-in or at least decently computer-generated subtitles.

BTW, every now and then I'll watch a BD and noticed something I never did before. This time when they are discussing celebrities that live amongst us that are really aliens, for the first time I noticed that one of them was George Lucas. :laugh:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the review Richard, all I have to say is SOLD! I will be heading out and buying this title today!

Update: Just picked this up at Fry's for $18.99 and am very happy with it. Sony is doing a good job on the video transfers to HD and I hope they keep up the good work.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Picked this up yesterday based on the strength of the review and loved it. Thanks Richard!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks