What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Master and Commander (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_27394167.jpg">_ [b]MASTER AND COMMANDER

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Michael for the review.

Been waiting for this one for quite awhile now. Never purchased the DVD.

Am excited about the lossless sound track an good quality HD video!

Paul

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No way, this one is actually coming out?!?!?!?!? After months (or was it years?) of vaporware it's finally here?!?!?!

I'll most likely pick this up since it seems the A/V is up to snuff. After a year and a half of BD buying, I've realized that "not porting over all the DVD extras" for DVDs I already own is not a dealbreaker for me. 99.9% of the time even if they port extras from DVD it's not in 1080p. If it were, that would be a different story. Since I already own M&C the "ultimate edition" package, that will serve as my "extras" discs to the Blu Ray.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is an absolute fave. The SD-DVD audio was incredibly impressive...especially the DTS track on the CE. It will be amazing to see if the HD SQ can be all that much better (especially on my middlin' system). But I am going to enjoy finding out!

Hope there are good release week prices on this. Or else, I wait.

So, Michael...you never watched Master & Commander on SD-DVD (and subsequently don't have any way to compare the PQ or SQ of the BD with the SD? I would have loved to hear what you thought about that.

BTW, the release date should be May 13, 2008.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
As someone who just got a combo player and would LOVE to add this and KINGDOM OF HEAVEN to my library, I'm so irrirated by Fox's awful hi-def strategy of high list price/little content that I'm holding off. Same goes for PREDATOR, INDEPENDENCE DAY, the list goes on...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks for the review! Given the lack of extras (no surprise) and the high retail price (again no surprise) I'll wait for a decent sale before picking this one up, but I'll throw it on my Netflix queue in the meantime.

BTW, can anyone find this listed on Amazon? I still can't find it which is strange. Maybe they got tired of relisting it. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I think I will wait for the inevitable Amazon B2G1 sale before picking up anymore barebones Fox Blu-ray Disc releases.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
While I will wait until this release drops in price before I pick it up, I'm all over this one and I've only seen like the first 10 minutes of it! I'm really looking forward to hearing just how good those cannonballs sound in DTS MA-HD ripping through the hull of the ship!!!

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
As much as I want this disc I'll be waiting for it to show up in Fry's $14.99 sale or as a BOGO just like most of you. Fox can eat my shorts.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
So the PQ is only on par with other catalogue releases from Fox, "respectable, but not exemplary." If those titles include "I, Robot" and "Independence Day," then I'm all over "Master and Commander" as those two BDs looked fantastic. In fact, I'd say they looked exemplary.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Mike Frezon

I changed the date - thanks!

Also, I do have a way to compare. I think I have like three copies of this title on DVD. Like so many more I have sitting on my shelf, I just have never put the time to watching some titles despite really wanting to.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks Michael for the review. :D

This is one of the titles I have been waiting for and I will be in the store as soon as the doors open to buy this title. This will be one of the first titles that I will rewatch once I purchase a new receiver and replace my current Blu-ray player. Again I am glad this title is coming out! :emoji_thumbsup:

While it may not have extra's like many other Fox titles, IMHO Fox has produced Blu-ray titles with very good video and audio quality. For me all I want is the movie with great picture and lossless sound. I do hope that Fox does start including extras for those who really want that.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ditto. Picked up a number of Fox BD titles (incl. Day After Tomorrow & Independence Day) at last week's $14.99 sale at Fry's. I'll happily wait on this (and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid) to hit the same price point.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
This is one of my all time favorite movies, but I was hoping it would replace the nice box-set. It will be an eventual purchase, but I'll wait for a price drop or some special offer before taking the plunge.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Micheal - Thanks for the fine work

Yet again, CE additions left off a BD. As Aaron says 'and they wonder why'
I don't think there's any wonder to it.

I think the agenda is loud and clear - Film Only in 08, Extras in 09 forward for BD 2.0 whatever they want to call the second dip.

It's not about the disk space, is it?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Is this still being released tomorrow, 13 May? Amazon didn't ship it out today along with some other titles. I may have to look around tomorrow to pick it up, but they had it on their site at one time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheThrillisgone
Recent bookmarks