What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: KICKASS Combo Pack (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If that's the case, it's almost like these studios are trying to undermine the format. In order to qualify as a Blu-Ray, shouldn't all titles play on all players... at least the movie itself?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben .[/i]

This is the first title where I've had this issue, and I know I've watched some recent Lionsgate titles since I watch pretty much every new release, so maybe it's just a bad disc (it's from Netflix, so it's not like I'm out anything if I just return it and say it was defective). I've been updating it with all of the firmwave, so it's BD-Live capatible and everything. I just haven't needed to connect it to the Internet because I've never been impressed with the BD-Live features on any disc to buy the hardware I'd need for that.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by robbbb1138
I've been updating it with all of the firmwave, so it's BD-Live capatible and everything.

It sounds like your player is upgradeable to profile 2.0. If so, and if you've done the upgrade, it may just be a matter of giving the disc enough time to load -- and I mean as much as 10 minutes.

You can try exchanging discs, but I doubt that will make a difference. The issue you're describing doesn't sound like a damaged disc.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It may also be an issue with the amount of available space on your flash media.

I recently had an issue with a disc I rented from Netflix (Warner/New Line's 17 Again) that simply would not load on my Panasonic BD60. The disc would spin up, the screen would go black, then the player would revert to its own splash screen and the disc would stop. The disc would play fine on my Sony PS3.

After a call to Panasonic Tech Support, they suggested removing the 1Gb SD card, replacing it with a larger capacity card (in this case 4Gb) and having the player format it. Lo and behold, that seemed to fix the issue.

The tech told me that although the spec originally called for a minimum of 1Gb of available space, Panasonic is recommending a minimum of 2Gb for their players. Sony may say the same thing.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

It sounds like your player is upgradeable to profile 2.0. If so, and if you've done the upgrade, it may just be a matter of giving the disc enough time to load -- and I mean as much as 10 minutes.

You can try exchanging discs, but I doubt that will make a difference. The issue you're describing doesn't sound like a damaged disc.

I'll try playing around with it again tonight. My player tends to go to an error message and stops trying to load if it takes more than 3 or 4 minutes to load.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by robbbb1138

I'll try playing around with it again tonight. My player tends to go to an error message and stops trying to load if it takes more than 3 or 4 minutes to load.

That could be the problem then. My BD60 took quite a bit longer than that to get to the menu for this disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The disc took about 2 minutes to load in my BD-85.

As far as the film itself, so far, it's my favorite film of 2010, so now it's much more than a guilty pleasure for me.

Crawdaddy

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

That could be the problem then. My BD60 took quite a bit longer than that to get to the menu for this disc.

Thanks everyone for the help. I've been meaning to get a second player so that I can watch my BRs in more than one room, so I think I'll take the hint and get one now with WiFi.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben .[/i]

The BDP-BX1 is the Costco version of the BDP-S350, which is Profile 2.0. I stuck an 8GB USB stick in mine, and had very few problems with it when I had it hooked up to the internet. I've since moved houses, and will probably have to go either wireless bridge or powerline ethernet to get BD-Live up and running, and I just don't have the time or the energy to do either right now. I'd rather just watch the movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just spent the last couple hours listening to the commentary track, which I thought was phenomenal. It was apparently recorded shortly after the premiere and after party, and you can almost hear him sobering up as the movie goes on. For all of that, Vaughn takes the effort seriously, alternating between practical tidbits of how various shots and production aspects were achieved with the unique war stories that come from making an independent film like this one. Most gratifying, he invests in the sincere character beats as much as I did -- it's nice when you can tell a filmmaker cares about the things you cared about. Mark Millar is suck a cynical S.O.B. that it's hard to invest in any of his work. Most of the changes Vaughn and screenwriter Jane Goldman made were toward the point of making Big Daddy, Katie etc. less alienating than they are on the page and polishing Millar's iffy dialogue. Because Vaughn doesn't have much of a bedside manner, he's honest, airing disagreements and frustrations with his crew that a more personable director maybe wouldn't. As a listener, it was great to get a window into what went wrong as well as what went right. Just a highly recommended track, if you love filmmaking or just love the movie itself.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I could not get this BD to load in my 3-year old Sony 300. Firmware updates can only go so far.

It was just the excuse I needed to go looking for a new BD player. I settled on the Sony 570. Man oh man, what have I been missing!?!?!!!!!

This player is nearly instant on. It's lightning fast, loaded w/ new features and the Kick-Ass BD, even with all its' gadgets and live material loaded right up almost instantly.

I suspect that we'll start to see more discs like Kick-Ass that push features & cause problems for the older BD players. But frankly, I'm so glad I upgraded players, I don't mind. It is a great disc and will buy a copy very soon (rented for my first viewing).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

This definitely had the longest load time of any disc I've played so far. And a good five minutes of that load time was with a completely black screen, which had me nervous. I think it's because of all of the LG Live overlays and gadgets. Once the disc finally made it to the menu it worked without a hitch. Terrific transfer, and a terrific making of documentary.

This has got to be due you your brand of player. I watched this twice over the past two days, once on my ps3 and again on my s370. Load times were under a minute on both machines.

What a fantastic film, well done all around. Hit Girl and Big Daddy made this film shine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P

This has got to be due you your brand of player. I watched this twice over the past two days, once on my ps3 and again on my s370. Load times were under a minute on both machines.

A couple weeks after Ron and I had this exchange, one of the firmware updates from Panasonic resolved the issue. Just FYI for anyone with Panasonic players holding off on this disc because of what they may have read.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I found the deal yesterday and ordered it. Last week they had The Wolfman for $12.99 and now it's back up to the mid-$20s, so now's a good time to jump on this one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
^ thats exactly why amazon has it for that price this week.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Given the Director's comments on wanting to put out an extended cut, and a sequel due in two years, it seems pretty likely this will get another release soon enough. Hopefully with better picture quality.

Just something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks