Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Iron Man 2

MattFini

Supporting Actor
^ Really?

I didn't think there was much in the way of tension in IM2. Take Rourke's big race track reveal ... it's the first action sequence in the movie (finally) and Favreau chooses to unwisely undercut the whole scene with dollops of groan-inducing comedy.

That's where the film lost me, but everything after it just felt lazy. Rourke basically sits the second act out, and when the big climax rolls around it just really feels like there's no challenge for Iron Man. He defeats everyone without much challenge. Obviously you know the good guy is going to win in these films, but there was never much doubt in Stark's mind that he would succeed and even less for the audience.

I personally think Iron Man 2 is among the bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to superhero movies.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't a huge fan of the first one (I certainly didn't hate it but I didn't love it the way that many others did) and, for me, the second one maintained that same level of "Eh, it was an OK way to spend 2 hours" but I'll probably never see either movie again and I'll definitely never spend money to own them.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
X3 and Spidey 3 constitute the lower bar in terms of Marvel adaptations, in terms of, "as long as you don't sink any lower than this, it's acceptable." I would also place Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer in this category, as a pleasant time-waster.

I enjoyed Iron Man 2, and will probably pick up the combo pack @ some point.

JonZ

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Spiderman3 and Iron Man2 have the same problem - they use comedy to focus on someones dealing with demons. While I realize this is a comic book character, and Im not expecting Leaving Las Vegas, or A Simple Plan, I would have liked something a bit more substantial. If a comic book can deal with alcoholism or a good character doing bad things thats appopriate for 11-13 year olds, why not a film?

To me watching the birthday scene was as bad as watching Peter Parker disco his way down Broadway. I actually thought the first hour of SM3 was ok and the finale lacking, while IM2 was the exact opposite. A mess of a first hour and a enjoyable enough conclusion.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JonZ

If a comic book can deal with alcoholism or a good character doing bad things thats appopriate for 11-13 year olds, why not a film?

If, like the comic books, there was a new Iron Man movie every month, they could do that but since there's one movie every 2 years, they have to stick to stuff blowing up, special effects and making a movie that will help sell toys.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Funny enough, I enjoyed both scenes in their own way. In Spider-Man 3, the dance absolutely works, if you take it out of Spider-Man 3 and look at it as an individual scene in conjunction with the notion of what Peter Parker actual is as a character. He's a straight geek at times and when caught up in his own ego, whether by the suit or himself, he would act like that. The scene ultimately doesn't really work in the film because the film doesn't earn that moment. But, the actual execution of the scene works like gangbusters. Maquire sells the hell out of it.

In Iron Man 2, that scene is earned. It's born out of pure frustration on Tony's part. He's dying and for all his genius, he can't figure out this puzzle. It's even more affecting when you consider that his pure genius is what created this piece of tech that saved his life in the first film, but now threatens to kill him before his work is done...before he has a chance to change his legacy and the legacy of his family.

I still think the whole second act, on the whole, doesn't work. But, I read an interesting comment that's changed my perspective on the film. It's not an Iron Man movie. It's a Tony Stark movie. And, I had to think about that for a minute, because it's absolutely true. Had Favreau had the time to make a few adjustments in the second act, this film would've stood easily with Spider-Man 2 and X2.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
This set was suppose to have some hidden features of Thor and Captain America wasn't it? I have looked on the net, but I will be darned if I can't find how to access them...or if anything is even like that in there to begin with. When I search Easter eggs in iron man 2, all I get is little Easter eggs hidden IN the movie itself. Not what I am looking for.

Has anyone found any hidden features on the Blu-Ray discs pertaining to Thor or Captain?

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Not hidden features, per se, but the S.H.I.E.L.D. Data Vault on the first disc contains allusions to Thor, Captain America and the Hulk.

On the second disc, select "Play All" for the "Ultimate Iron Man" multipart documentary and either sit through or fast foward all the way through the end credits. After the credits are over, there's another hidden featurette on the post-credits sequence of the film itself. Apparently it was directed by Kenneth Branagh and designed to match the upcoming Thor film.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Read your post and then went and stuck the disc in and watched that part you talked about at the end of the documentary. Have to say, that was actually pretty cool. Rather impressed that Kenneth Branagh actually directed that sequence. As I just watched Iron Man 2 tonight and the post credits sequence, I was actually wondering as I watched it who directed that little extra scene.

I never thought I would get an answer to that question tonight.

Thanks for the info.

JonZ

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Yea, the scene after the credits has pretty much become common practice in these Marvel films. I saw Incredible Hulk on HBO awhile back and the had put the "We're putting a team together" scene that was after the credits in theaters, and attached to the end of the film before the credits.

Captain America and Thor will both have them as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
What's funny about that is that Jon Favreau and the writers of the first Iron Man put in that post-credits scene as a lark. The Agent Coulson character was written as a minor one-off, and Favreau cast Clark Gregg because he was a friend of his. Now the Agent Coulson character is the glue that holds this Marvel Universe together, and Gregg's got himself a role in half a dozen blockbusters.

Yumbo

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Sounded pretty average to me.

Mike Frezon

I wasn't sure what to expect. I liked the first Iron Man film a lot.

My two take-aways after watching this film last night with my son are:

1.) I couldn't agree more with this:

[SIZE= 16px][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]The Sound: 4.5 out of 5[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]My goodness. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track available on Iron Man 2 is an unrelenting bombastic powerhouse of sound. The surrounds are assaulted frequently, with the thumping sounds of John Debney’s score, the ripping sounds of Monaco Racing, and the carnage of explosive action sequences (I think director Jon Favreau wanted to break every piece of glass in this film). The bass is fully explored by the film’s audio, with ample use of the LFE, and sufficient rattle to remind you the volume is probably up too loud. The audio is free from any issues and delivers the action of Iron Man 2, and the wholly satisfying AC/DC riffs in glorious fashion. This is a terrific sound mix and great stuff for your home theater.[/SIZE]

Wow! My subwoofer hasn't been this busy in a VERY long time. Surrounds, too! [/url]

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Real Name
Adam
I haven't had a chance to check out any of the extras yet, but my wife and I finally had a chance to watch IM2 this weekend and we both enjoyed it just as much as the first one. Picture, sound, story and acting were all fantastic.

neverdieA

Auditioning
Real Name
Herbchy
Still enjoy videos or movies using your iPad online with low speed or definition? What a painful thing! If there is an tool that can help you enjoy the newest Blu-ray movies on iPad? There is no doubt, let have a try with the [COLOR= #0000ff]Blu-ray Ripper[/COLOR], you can [COLOR= #0000ff]rip Blu-ray movies[/COLOR]to various video formats that supported by iPad, iPod, iPhone, PSP, Archos ,Zune or any other Portable Media Players(PMP), such as [COLOR= #0000ff]rip Blu-ray[/COLOR]to MP4, MPEG, H.264, MPEG-4 AVC, M4V, MOV, etc. For it user-friendly interface, play Blu-ray on iPad just after several clicks.

As usual, the Blu-ray movie discs are BD-25G or BD-50G, [COLOR= #800080]copy Blu-ray movies[/COLOR]to your computer completely, you need to crack Blu-ray discs and will be stored relatively with large space, don’t worry, with the help of iovsoft [COLOR= #800080]Blu-ray Copy[/COLOR], you can crack, compress, backup and [COLOR= #800080]copy Blu-ray[/COLOR]easily just in 3 clicks.

May be you will ask, how to do if we are using Mac OS? There is also an [COLOR= #800080]Mac Blu-ray Ripper[/COLOR]to help us. On [COLOR= #800080]Mac rip Blu-ray[/COLOR]to AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, H.264, FLV, XviD/DivX and HD Video, for [COLOR= #800080]Mac rip Blu-ray movies[/COLOR]that crack the newest Blu-ray movies from MKB-1 to MKB-17 easily without any third-party assistance.

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Finally saw this -- I should've listened to JonZ. This movie was so bad it made me post in the "What Movies Do You Despise?" thread. It is absolutely one of the worst big-budget "blockbusters" I've ever seen. There's hardly any action, and what action there is is mediocre at best. Most of the story was nonsensical. None of the characters were interesting enough to make me care about them. Did anyone other than Downey and Rockwell even have more than a handful of lines? (I'm surprised the normally great Rockwell agreed to do that miserably stupid character. I assume he was paid handsomely!)

I don't understand what movie you guys who liked it were watching. It couldn't possibly have been the same one! I watched it with my dad and I feel like I should apologize to him.

I didn't care all that much for the first movie, but it was a heck of a lot better than this boring, boring garbage.

Neil Middlemiss

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have been reading the 'movies you most hate' thread, and after seeing IM2 take a beating, wondered how long it would be before someone headed to this review to make a comment :)

I could sum it all up to the subjective nature of what people enjoy. I could sum it up to levels of expectation, what elements of actions films people enjoy, familiarity with characters, universes, themes, ideas, etc - but I don't think it is necessarily any one of those. Perhaps a little bit of some of those.

Reading the other thread and hearing how someone detests Pulp Fiction or Independence Day, and others love and laud them, it must make the altered Abraham Lincoln's quote quite apparent:

"You can please some of the people some of the time,

but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Finally saw this -- I should've listened to JonZ. This movie was so bad it made me post in the "What Movies Do You Despise?" thread. It is absolutely one of the worst big-budget "blockbusters" I've ever seen. There's hardly any action, and what action there is is mediocre at best. Most of the story was nonsensical. None of the characters were interesting enough to make me care about them. Did anyone other than Downey and Rockwell even have more than a handful of lines? (I'm surprised the normally great Rockwell agreed to do that miserably stupid character. I assume he was paid handsomely!)

I don't understand what movie you guys who liked it were watching. It couldn't possibly have been the same one! I watched it with my dad and I feel like I should apologize to him.

I didn't care all that much for the first movie, but it was a heck of a lot better than this boring, boring garbage.