What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Inglourious Basterds - Special Edition - Recommended (1 Viewer)

del1

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
This Inglorious Basterds will not function on my PS3 Blu Ray!!!!! Well, I have all the problems above. I'm on my 3rd IB Blu Ray. The 1st had trouble even loading and stuttered and paused from the beginning. The second, had trouble loading and stuttered during two chapters beginning with the bar scene as described above. The third, exact same thing as the 2nd. I have tried all the solutions listed above. New discs, unplugging the ethernet, latest updates, disabling the online from the ps3 etc.... Nothing seems to work. Must be a compatibility issue this Blu Ray has with certain PS3s. Or could it just be a very large batch of bad Blu Ray IBs?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Not sure. I have never had a problem with my copy of IB (I do not have a PS3). I believe Kevin reviewed the title on a PS3.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have had no problems whatsoever with this title on the PS3. Adam is correct - I reviewed the title on the PS3, as I do pretty much all the Blu-rays that come to me. (I have the Panasonic player as well, but I prefer the PS3 since it has a display function that shows me the bitrates.)

The PS3 I am using is the 60 gb from 2007. I had Sony replace it back in October when I suffered the "Blinking Red Light of Death" on my original console.

Are you using an older or newer PS3 than that?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by del1

This Inglorious Basterds will not function on my PS3 Blu Ray!!!!! Well, I have all the problems above. I'm on my 3rd IB Blu Ray. The 1st had trouble even loading and stuttered and paused from the beginning. The second, had trouble loading and stuttered during two chapters beginning with the bar scene as described above. The third, exact same thing as the 2nd. I have tried all the solutions listed above. New discs, unplugging the ethernet, latest updates, disabling the online from the ps3 etc.... Nothing seems to work. Must be a compatibility issue this Blu Ray has with certain PS3s. Or could it just be a very large batch of bad Blu Ray IBs?
If you have an older PS3 -- say nearly 2-yo or more -- I wonder if this is not a sign that your PS3's laser needs cleaning and its tolerance for read errors (due to dirty laser lens) is now low enough to be a problem w/ this BD.

I'm just wondering because I also had experienced a few cases of flakey-ness w/ my PS3 in the months before it completely stopped reading any kind of discs at all. I still need to get mine fixed/cleaned, but there does seem to be an issue w/ the PS3 getting dusty/dirty inside. Mine stopped reading discs after ~2 years of use -- I get a solid blue light (and onscreen indication of disc access) when a disc is inserted, but no actual reading seems to occur.

FWIW, I had originally thought the bar scene in IB might've caused a 1-to-2-sec pause on my new Panny BD60 (that seemed like a layer change issue), but couldn't remember for sure since we also paused the movie quite a few times that night (due to some fussing from one of our kids). When I retried the disc for that scene on another night, I didn't have any problems at all.

Still, I think the BD60 does experience a very noticeable layer change lag for some BDs though I have not tried to isolate the cause to be more sure. I believe there were some other reports on the net of layer change pauses for the Panny players though I haven't seen any mentioned on HTF. If this is not normal for the BD60, then I probably need mine fixed too.

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have a pair of BD50s and have never noticed layer change delays with them. If its an issue maybe its just with newer models?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just got this and watched over the weekend. No issues on our Samsung BD-P1500 player, and looks very good projected onto our large screen. I haven't tried it on the PS3 but perhaps I will later today when I check out some of the extras.

We did watch it at night in a quiet neighborhood but the kids were sleeping so it wasn't too loud. (Although one kid - 16 mos. - woke up at one point and we had to bring him to the theater room to get him back to sleep. He didn't watch the movie, but if he remembers any of it, I am going to tell him it was Elmo & The Nazi Killers.)

Great review. Glad to have it in my film collection. Worth pointing out that I bought the BD for less than it cost me and my wife to see it in the theater.

EDIT: No problem on the PS3.

jplepage

Auditioning
Real Name
Jean-Paul Lepage
I missed this one on the theaters, it`s time to catc it up in Bluray - After grindhouse one cannot be too careful :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks