What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can't believe Blockbuster will actually send me this BD rental so quickly after its release. :P Guess I'll actually get to see this one sooner than expected :D -- never saw it in the theaters due to mediocre-to-mixed comments/reviews.

_Man_

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I am really enjoying the documentaries on disc 2. The production diaries, in particular, provide a nice look at the actual filming. Harrison Ford took a good pounding during the production!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have a question. During the FBI interrogation, Indy didn't know who Spalko was, yet in the previous scene at the warehouse he called her by name? What am I missing?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. He's told early on that Abner is dead, but he's still VERY motivated to find the Ark. And his father has to talk him into letting go of the Grail rather than risk death. No such motivation exists for the skulls.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I'm talking about what initially fires his pursuit, not the shifts of interest that later ensue (keep in mind, he only became enamored with the Grail when he saw that the damn thing actually worked)...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Concerning your latter assertion, one thing that has always bugged me about Last Crusade is Indy's skepticism: we are to believe that a man who has seen the paranormal in two prior films is all of a sudden skeptical of the mystical power of the Holy Grail ("bedtime stories", etc.).

Just never made sense to me.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

This was a problem for me even before Last Crusade. Indy shows great skepticism of the supernatural in Raiders, but Temple shows us that he's already experienced wild paranormal phenomena prior to the events of the first film. I've never really understood why Temple was made a prequel. Just change the date shown on-screen at the very beginning, and it would have worked equally well as a sequel to Raiders. But as it is now, it creates a continuity error between the two films.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I thought they made it a prequel because Spielberg and Lucas wanted a different girl in every movie (like James Bond). Since Indy ends up with Marion at the end of Raiders, they thought it would make more sense to make it a prequel. Doesn't explain why Marion isn't mentioned in Crusade, though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^I'm pretty sure that what Brian is referring to is the reason given in either the making-of the Indy movies book or the documentary on the DVD or both. I guess you just have to assume that Indy and Willie had a brief romance.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Indy remains a skeptic in every film, that's who he is. Just because he sees first hand one paranormal phenomenon doesn't mean he has to believe every fairytale that comes his way.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

+1
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

marek

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Let's hope he did dump her, off a cliff or something :D. God, she was annoying. ToD must've gotten the bad ratings only because of her

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Just pretend ToD doesn't exist, and that solves a lot of the problem, no? ;) :D

I finally got to see Indy 4 (on BD rental), and it's alright. Fun enough for the first viewing, but nothing special -- at least it's not as annoying as certain aspects of ToD. :P Don't think I'll be buying the BD (unless it hits the $5 bargain bin some day :P). Besides, maybe this one will play better on DVD instead to help mask away all them wrinkles, etc. Ford (and Allen) looks awfully haggard for the character's age, if I got it right, though he doesn't look as old to me in the one or two interviews I saw briefly in the extras.

When the rest of the series comes to BD, I'll probably only pick up Raiders and Last Crusade, if at all possible.

_Man_

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Well, I'd beg to differ
. Maybe it's because Capshaw is much more annoying in ToD, but Karen Allen looks much hotter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks