What's new

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Heroes Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
fdaa3efa_HeroesSeason4Cover.jpg

HEROES

SEASON 4

[COLOR= #303030]Studio: Universal[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Original Airing: 2009-2010[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Length: 18 episodes (13 hours, 32 mins)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Genre: Science Fiction[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]BD Resolution: 1080p[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]BD Video Codec: VC-1 @ 15-20 mbps on Discs 1-3, AVC @ 20 mbps on Disc 4[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Color/B&W: Color[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Audio:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Rating: Unrated (Some Sci-Fi Violence and Bloodshed)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Release Date: August 3, 2010[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Rating:[/COLOR] [COLOR= red]2 ½[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Starring: Hayden Panettiere, Jack Coleman, Masi Oka, James Kyson Lee, Milo Ventimiglia, Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter, Adrian Pasdar, Zachary Quinto, Robert Knepper and Ray Park[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Creator/Executive Producer: Tim Kring[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Written by: Various[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Directed by: Various[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Heroes Season 4 [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]is a four-disc Blu-ray set that holds the full 18 episodes of the show’s final season, encompassing the “Redemption” volume, which centers around the new character Samuel Sullivan (Robert Knepper) and the creepy carnival he operates. The season is a definite step down from the earlier years of the show in terms of budget, and therefore in terms of scope. The near-infinite palette of the first two seasons has been replaced by a series of scenes mostly happening on the same basic carnival sets and backlot locations. The number of characters and plotlines have been reduced, and it’s clear that several of the creative forces of the show, including producer/directors Greg Beeman and Allan Arkush, have moved on to greener pastures. To nobody’s surprise but apparently creator Tim Kring, NBC cancelled the lower-rated series after the final episode, leaving things a bit open-ended – as Kring had attempted to establish a new volume for the story in which the show’s heroes go public about their powers and identities. The final episode of the series, entitled “Brave New World” as a nod to the now-abandoned next volume, includes a special introduction by Tim Kring, recorded on May 21 of this year, right after he was informed of the cancellation. In it, he thanks the fans of the series and tries to assure them that the stories of these characters will continue in some form. And there have been some public discussions about NBC perhaps allowing Kring to produce a TV movie that wraps up the series. But at this point, nothing solid has been confirmed. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]The Blu-ray set includes all of the episodes in 1080p HD picture and DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound, along with PIP commentaries on four episodes, a “Hero Connections” U-Control feature that brings up biographical information on select characters at different points, some deleted scenes and some special features spread across the four discs. The amount of special features is notably reduced from the earlier seasons, which saw PIP commentaries on every episode and plenty of extra material. It’s clear that the reduced budget for the final season also applied to the DVD production.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]VIDEO QUALITY[/COLOR][COLOR= red] 4/5[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Heroes Season 4 [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]is presented in a 1080p transfer under the VC-1 coding for Discs 1-3 and AVC for Disc 4. I did not notice any difference in the picture quality between the VC-1 discs and the AVC disc, although I did note a slightly higher bitrate on the AVC disc. The picture quality here is solid throughout, with deep blacks and rich colors, particularly when showing the garish backdrops of the carnival environment. I should note that I am viewing this season set on a 40” Sony XBR2 HDTV. If anyone with a larger HDTV (60” or more) notices a problem with the picture quality, please comment within this thread.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]AUDIO QUALITY[/COLOR] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= red]4/5[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #303030]Heroes Season 4 [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]is presented in an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix that, like the Season 3 set, focuses on the front channels but does bring the surrounds and the subwoofer to satisfying life on many occasions. This has always been an interesting show from a sonic perspective, and Season 4 continues the tradition, with plenty of atmospheric sound opportunities for the surround channels, and the musical score filling all of the channels, front and back.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]DISC BY DISC[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]As I did with the last two seasons, I think it will work better here to account for what can be found on each disc, in order. To save time, I’ll restate that every episode has a U-Control “Hero Connections” pop-up that displays relevant information about the main character in the current scene. In order to see the “Hero Connections” pop-up during the four episodes that have PIP commentary, you’ll need to turn off the commentary. When they are available, deleted scenes for selected episodes are presented in non-anamorphic standard definition. I refer to these scenes as “deleted” with the knowledge that some of them are actually expansions of existing scenes with previously deleted material.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]The discs also contain the usual My Scenes bookmarking and BD-Live functionality of all Universal Blu-ray releases. The disc also features the pocket BLU app for iPhones.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]DISC ONE:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Episodes: [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Orientation[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with one deleted scene (0:19).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Ink[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with four deleted scenes (8:04 total).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Acceptance[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with six deleted scenes (9:28 total).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Hysterical Blindness[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with 1 deleted scene (0:19)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]This disc also contains:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Hero Connections – Network[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]– This chart, available on each disc, tracks the various biographical (and superpower) information for the series’ characters through the season. Lines are shown between the characters to display family or other connections between them, and as characters shuffle off this mortal coil, they are literally “x’d” out. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED, DO NOT ACTIVATE THIS FEATURE UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE EPISODES ON EACH DISC.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Deconstructing Sylar [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](1080p, 20:43) – This high-definition featurette is a sit-down discussion between Zachary Quinto, Adam Armus and Tim Kring. Obviously, it covers the creation and evolution of the character of Sylar.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]DISC TWO:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Episodes:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Tabula Rasa[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with five deleted scenes (7:11 total)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Strange Attractions[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Once Upon a Time in Texas [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](with PIP commentary from Tim Kring, Nate Goodman and Charlie Lieberman), and with two deleted scenes (3:57 total) What makes this PIP commentary interesting is that Nate Goodman and Charlie Lieberman are the alternating cameramen for the series. They normally never work together. But on this occasion, Goodman was given the opportunity to direct, which allowed the two Directors of Photography to actually collaborate on an episode and compare notes. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Shadowboxing[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](with PIP commentary from Greg Grunberg, Adam Armus and Kay Foster) with one deleted scene (1:57).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Brother’s Keeper[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with one deleted scene (2:00)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Hero Connections – Network[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]– This chart, available on each disc, tracks the various biographical (and superpower) information for the series’ characters through the season. Lines are shown between the characters to display family or other connections between them, and as characters shuffle off this mortal coil, they are literally “x’d” out. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED, DO NOT ACTIVATE THIS FEATURE UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE EPISODES ON EACH DISC.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Behind the Big Top [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](1080p, 9:30) – This featurette covers the creation of the carnival sets on backlot areas of Sunset Gower Studios and at the Universal Studios Backlot. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Heroes Revolution [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](1080p, 10:45) – This featurette covers the expanded universe of the series as presented in comic books and other venues. One major example of this is the use of Ali Larter’s character in a comic book during the time that she was unavailable to work on the series due to movie commitments. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]DISC THREE:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Episodes-[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Thanksgiving[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with 1 deleted scene (3:12)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]The Fifth Stage [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](with PIP commentary from Tim Kring and Adrian Pasdar)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Upon This Rock[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Let it Bleed[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with one deleted scene (0:44)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030] Close to You[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with one deleted scene (1:15)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]The disc also contains:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Milo Speaks [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](1080p, 5:28) – This is really just a short interview with Milo Ventimiglia, in which he discusses his work with Adrian Pasdar on the series, among other subjects.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Sullivan Brothers Design Gallery [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](1080p, 2:29) – An HD art gallery is presented, along with various shots of the completed sets.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]DISC FOUR:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Episodes:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Pass/Fail[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030], with deleted scenes (6:47 total)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]The Art of Deception[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]The Wall[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Brave New World[/COLOR][COLOR= #303030] (with PIP commentary from Tim Kring and Robert Knepper), and a special introduction by Tim Kring. It is clear from watching the PIP commentary that Kring was unaware of the show’s cancellation at the time he recorded it. He continually speaks about the upcoming “Brave New World” volume for the series, and the future of the show. In the post-cancellation introduction for the show, however, he is a lot quieter and speaks in a much more sober tone about his wish to continue the stories of these characters in whatever form he can.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Genetics of a Scene [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030](1080p, 42:19) – This collection of seven featurettes shows how various scenes are put together from the writers’ room to the set.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Subtitles are available in English, Spanish and French for the episodes and for the special features. Standard chapter menus are included for quick reference. The usual Blu-ray pop-up menus work fine. In the event that you pause the show for more than a few minutes, a Universal Logo will appear as a screensaver. For my PS3, I only need to hit the “Enter” button to get back into the episode in progress. Regarding the packaging, as with the BSG releases, there’s an odd setup here where the discs are packed in a way that you must remove one disc to get to the other. I was okay with this, but I recall other people being frustrated by this in prior releases.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]IN THE END...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Heroes Season 4 [/COLOR][COLOR= #303030]finishes off the superhero series in a quieter form than one might have expected after the first year. The Blu-ray set features fine picture and sound quality and a few nice special features. But it’s quite clear that the bloom is off the rose. Fans of the series may wish to pick up this year for completion’s sake, but the finest hours of the show are long behind us now. In watching these final episodes, I was struck by the memory of a line in a T.S. Eliot poem called “The Hollow Men”:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030] This is the way the world ends[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030] Not with a bang, but with a whimper.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]Kevin Koster[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #303030]August 22, 2010.[/COLOR]

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the review Kevin. I never watched the third or fourth seasons. I'll add season 3 to my queue so I can work my way up to season 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks