What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Ultimate Edition (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
7b2b00e9_265x265px-LS-5dd39af4_B003EYVY0E-51gKp7-JnpL.jpg

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Ultimate Edition

Release Date: Available now
Studio: Warner Home Video
Packaging/Materials: Three-disc Digipak and extras in a heavy cardboard case
Year: 2002
Rating: PG
Running Time: 2:22:00
MSRP: $49.99

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

1080p high definition 16x9 2.40:1

Standard and high definition

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: French (dubbed in Quebec) 5.1, French 5.1, German 5.1, Italian 5.1, Castellano 5.1, Dutch 5.1, Spanish 5.1, Portuguese 5.1, Catalan 5.1, Belgian Dutch 5.1

Stereo

Subtitles

English SDH, French, German SDH, Italian SDH, Castellano, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese

Same

Note: This review includes content from my review of the "Harry Potter Limited Edition Collection: Years 1-5" on Blu-ray.

The Feature: 5/5
With the franchise firmly established, the producers seemed willing to take some risks, most notable of them being the selection of director Alfonso Cuaron to helm "The Prisoner of Azkaban." Most known for his mature coming-of-age film, "Y Tu Mama Tambien," Cuaron was certainly an unconventional choice but one that resulted in the most stylish and well-constructed Potter film to date. The break between productions was also a bit longer, which probably helped refine the end product but also confirmed that children grow like weeds. After two years Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson were inarguably teenagers in both appearance and attitude, and a darker and more mature film seemed more than appropriate to match the growth of both the characters and the actors playing them. Casting also continued to be pitch perfect with the selection of Gary Oldman to play Sirius Black and David Thewlis to play Professor Lupin. Unfortunately, the passing of Richard Harris, who was the perfect Dumbledore, left some big shoes that many say have yet to be filled despite actor Michael Gambon's sizable talents.

Unlike the previous Ultimate Editions, "Azkaban" does not include an extended version of the film but only the theatrical version.

Video Quality: 4.5/5
The film is correctly framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec. With its more stylized cinematography black levels tend to be a bit crushed, with shadow delineation and detail often lacking but blacks themselves generally deep and inky. Fine object detail continues to be excellent - specular highlights, textures and reflections lending scenes a remarkable depth in their clarity. While more monochromatic than colorful, the film's stylistic look and tone is translated beautifully to video by the high definition transfer and should more than please those fans who rank "The Prisoner of Azkaban" as their favorite Potter film.

Audio Quality: 4.5/5
Surround channels in DTS-HD Master Audio mix provide increased soundtrack support, as well as atmospheric and environmental effects - important given the director's many stylistic flourishes. LFE is full and robust, appearing most notably during the Quidditch scene and with the aggressions of the Whomping Willow. General bass activity is also full and rich, creating a solid foundation for a track with great high frequency detail and broad dynamic range.

Special Features: 4.5/5
Th most notable addition to the special features package is the hour-long "Creating the World of Harry Potter" documentary - part three of eight to be released with each Ultimate Edition (UE). But unlike the previous UEs, the release does not have an "In Movie Experience" picture-in-picture feature that proved to be a highlight of the other releases' extras.

The second disc of extras is a DVD and appears to be a simple re-pressing of the previous release's special features disc. As such it reinstates many of the items that were left off the previous Blu-ray release, though many of them are kid-oriented quizzes and games.

Disc One
BD-Live: Includes the trailers for recent Warner Home Video Blu-ray releases and other promotional pieces.

Disc Two
Creating the World of Harry Potter Part 3: Creatures (1:03:22, HD): The third installment should be a treat for anyone wanting a closer look at the conceptualization and creation of the numerous creatures in the Harry Potter films. Some of the material is probably re-purposed from previously produced featurettes, but collecting it into one place makes for an interesting piece. Specific attention is paid to the Horntail Dragon, Aragog the Acromantula, the Basilisk, the Cave Troll, Cornish Pixies, Mandrakes, Buckbeak the Hippogriff, Fawkes the Phoenix, Thestrals, House Elves, Centaurs, Goblins, Animagi, Werewolves, Dementors, Inferi, and - last but not least - Voldemort.

Inside the Creature Shop (8:27, HD): Nick Dudman, Special Makeup Effects Designer, provides a fascinating tour of the various creature animatronics, models, molds and maquettes.

The Magic Touch of Harry Potter (42:28, SD): Cast and crew talk about various aspects of the production in a 2002 promotional documentary.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Something Wicked This Way Comes (13:02, SD): Shorter 2002 promotional piece provides an overview of the film's central story and character development.

The Making of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (10:02, SD): Another 2002 promotional piece, which looks like it was made for television broadcast, provides some glimpses behind the scenes of the production.

An Interview in Spanish with Alfonso Cuaron (8:15, SD): The director talks about how he got involved in the project and his approach to adapting the material.

Trelawney's Crystal Ball: Unfinished/Deleted Scenes (4:53, HD): Five scenes include moments on the Knight Bus, extended view of a pre-whomped blue bird, talking about Honeydukes in the Great Hall, dealing with Sir Cadogan, and extended moments in the Gryffindor common room.

Trailers (HD): Includes a teaser trailer (1:51) and two theatrical trailers (1:24 and 2:00).

Harry Potter: Spells (:44, SD): Commercial for a Harry Potter game app for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book (1:49, HD): Commercial for the collectible pop-up book.

Harry Potter: Film Wizardry (2:30, HD): Commercial for the collectible behind-the-scenes of filming book.

Disc Three
Trelawney's Crystal Ball: Unfinished/Deleted Scenes (4:53, SD): Includes the same five scenes found on Disc Two.

Creating the Vision (11:43, SD): Producers, screenwriter, director and author talk about adapting the third book to film.

Head to Shrunken Head (43:36, SD): Broadcast personality Johnny Vaughn and the Shrunken Head interview cast and crew. The inclusion of the Shrunken Head is an attempt to give some levity to the proceedings, but ultimately is awkward and wears thin. Aside from that it's nice to hear from so many of the cast and crew.

Magic You May Have Missed: Watch scene clips and answer some basic observational questions.

Tour Lupin's Classroom: Walk through the classroom using arrow keys on the remote.

Catch Scabbers!: Use the arrow keys on the remote to navigate through an obstacle course.

Choir Practice (1:39, SD): Karaoke / music video for the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" choral piece.

The Quest of Sir Cadogan: Help the knight complete his mission in another remote-controller game.

Tour Honeyduke's: Walk through the sweet shop using arrow keys on the remote.

Care of Magical Creatures (4:44, SD): A look at the various animals used in the film and their training.

Conjuring A Scene (15:35, SD): A look at hair and makeup, visual effects, mechanical effects, and locations.

Game Preview (1:02, SD): A look at the video game tie-in by EA Games.

Packaging and Physical Items
"Creating the Creatures of Harry Potter" Book: The third of eight books, which serve as companion items to the eight-part documentary, includes photos and concept drawings of the magical creatures up to the "The Half-Blood Prince."

Collector Cards: Two heavy, oversized (4" X 6") trading cards feature Hermione Granger and Sirius Black.

Digital Copy: Download a digital file from a website for playback on a computer or portable device.

Packaging: The two Blu-ray discs and special features DVD come in a quad-fold digpack case; the trading cards are kept in an envelope-like container made of cardstock. The digipack case, the cardstock container and the companion book all slide into a sturdy cardboard case with hinged cover. The cardboard case is printed and embossed like a hardbound book and looks quite handsome on the shelf. There's a slipcover for the case, but it's flashier and more commercial in its style as it also serves as the retail packaging for the release. Those wanting a bit of dust and damage protection might want to keep it on despite its less distinguished appearance, though the lenticular cover image is a nice addition.

Recap
The Feature: 5/5
Video Quality: 4.5/5
Audio Quality: 4.5/5
Special Features: 4.5/5
Overall Score (not an average): 3/5

The third part of the documentary is interesting, the book and trading cards are nice, and the construction and design of the packaging is first rate, but will the Ultimate Edition appeal to anyone except the most devoted Harry Potter fan wanting every extra ever created (up to now)? I'm doubtful, especially for casual fans who already own one of the previous BD releases. For them I'd say what they already have is sufficient. For those yet to purchase the title (which I imagine aren't many) the Ultimate Edition makes for a nice package, but individuals will have to figure out for themselves how much more they are willing to pay for it. Currently, the Ultimate Edition is priced about $15 more than the standard single-disc BD. Probably worth it if the extras will be revisited, but if not, that $15 can buy a whole other BD title that is certain to be watched again (perhaps another Potter film?). Given the choice, I imagine many will opt for the standard BD edition, making this Ultimate Edition only for the most ultimate of Potter fans.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I thought about buying this...

But without an extended edition, I ultimately passed. I already have the first releases, I'm not too interested in the extras. I'm waiting until both of the final episode movies release to get them, and I'm guessing there'll be some huge box set, so after consideration, I determined there wasn't anything compelling about UE 3&4 to make it worth purchasing multiple copies.

I applaud the effort, but can't find sufficient value in these two. Which is a bit upseting, because of all the HP movies that could use more time, I always thought 4 was it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not diametrically opposed to double dipping, but with two HP movies on the horizon, I'm going to bet we won't see the "ultimate ultimate" version until those two go on home video. I can wait.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
I'd just like to be able to get these Ultimate Editions in the UK, where these films are made and the books they're based on written! Of course I could get the US versions, but I refuse to have anything called "Sorcerer's Stone", and I don't fancy bilingual Canadian versions either.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Just so you know, the Canadian version has French only on the outer cardboard sleeve. Inside the package, everything is 100% English.

The Japanese edition is another option:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SDB-Y26012

Like the Canadian version, everything inside the package is completely in English (I think one of the discs might have a small bit of Japanese text among the legal verbiage). The outer sleeve has the title in Japanese on one spine and English on the other (as opposed to the Canadian version, which has the title in both languages on both spines), and the description on the back is in Japanese only. The Blu-ray is region A, so it plays fine in American Blu-ray players, but the DVD is region 2.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

Unfortunately, the passing of Richard Harris, who was the perfect Dumbledore, left some big shoes that many say have yet to be filled despite actor Michael Gambon's sizable talents.

Really? I haven't seen anyone saying this. People seem to think of Gambon's Dumbledore as an improvement, seeing as how he was actually interested in playing the part instead of being badgered into it by a grandchild.

The third part of the documentary is interesting, the book and trading cards are nice, and the construction and design of the packaging is first rate, but will the Ultimate Edition appeal to anyone except the most devoted Harry Potter fan wanting every extra ever created (up to now)? I'm doubtful, especially for casual fans who already own one of the previous BD releases. For them I'd say what they already have is sufficient. For those yet to purchase the title (which I imagine aren't many) the Ultimate Edition makes for a nice package, but individuals will have to figure out for themselves how much more they are willing to pay for it. Currently, the Ultimate Edition is priced about $15 more than the standard single-disc BD. Probably worth it if the extras will be revisited, but if not, that $15 can buy a whole other BD title that is certain to be watched again (perhaps another Potter film?). Given the choice, I imagine many will opt for the standard BD edition, making this Ultimate Edition only for the most ultimate of Potter fans.

See, this is the thing BD-Live would have been great for, although obviously they want to make the documentaries an added value that you actually pay for.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

Really? I haven't seen anyone saying this. People seem to think of Gambon's Dumbledore as an improvement, seeing as how he was actually interested in playing the part instead of being badgered into it by a grandchild.

Frankly, to me Harris seemed almost exactly like the Dumbledore in the novels. Soft spoken, an odd sense of humor, it seemed he jumped off the pages. I don't know whether it's the direction that has been wrong, but Gambon's take on it seemed a bit off.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I guess I should have set up a "Who is the better Dumbledore?" poll for this thread.

Absent that, here's one from a forum across the pond: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1452626

Gambon has grown on me over the course of the films, but as Brian said, Harris really seemed to embody the Dumbledore of the novels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks