What's new

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Glee: The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
[COLOR= black]
71c702ba_glee1bd.jpg
[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Glee: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Directed by Ryan Murphy et al

Studio: Twentieth Century-Fox
Year: 2009-2010
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 1080p AVC codec
Running Time: 974 minutes
Rating: G
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English
Subtitles: SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese, others[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Region[/COLOR][COLOR= black]: A [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]MSRP: [/COLOR][COLOR= black]$ 69.99[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Release Date: September 14, 2010[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Review Date: [/COLOR][COLOR= black]September 12, 2010[/COLOR]

The Series

4.5/5

One of the 2009-2010 television season’s true phenomenons was Fox’s dramedy Glee. Not much was expected at the outset from the show by its network (its creators were simply hoping the first thirteen episodes would get to be broadcast before cancellation), and then that rare thing that almost never happens to programs forging a different path from the norm actually did happen for this show: it caught on. With millions of iTunes downloads and CDs sold and the series, broadcast in two very different and long separated segments, gained in ratings strength, the show was definitely on a roll. It also helped that during its first season, the show won Best Comedy Series from the Hollywood Foreign Press, a SAG award for best comedy ensemble, Program of the Year and Outstanding New Series from the Television Critics’ Association, and four Emmy Awards. It was pretty conclusive proof that Glee had arrived and had become bigger than even its makers had ever dared to dream.

Why has it been so successful when other attempts at producing a musical series on television had failed so dismally? There aren’t many more bracing, blissful sights than seeing a bunch of supremely talented young people singing and dancing their hearts out with the pure joy of performing. Added to this is a handful of sometimes offbeat but usually identifiable character backstories, and you’ve got one of the 2009-2010 television season’s most genuinely enjoyable shows. This new box set release puts together the show’s first thirteen episodes which were released on DVD only in December 2009 and the final nine episodes which were first shown four months later when interest in the show had built to an astonishing degree.

The series’ underlying dramatic structure in its first thirteen shows was made up of two romantic quadrangles. For the adults, the selfish and manipulative Terri Schuester (Jessalyn Gilsig) feigns a pregnancy to keep her Spanish teacher/glee club sponsor husband Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) on a short leash while germophobic school guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury (Jayma Mays) pines after her obvious but unavailable soul mate Will as jealous, infatuated athletic director Ken Tanaka (Patrick Gallagher) simmers on the sidelines. Among the teens, school BMOC jock Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith) and his girl friend head cheerleader Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron) find themselves facing an unexpected pregnancy due to Quinn’s one night stand with Finn’s best friend Noah Puckerman (Mark Salling) while supremely talented nerd Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) longingly wishes Finn would look her way for a change. All of the young people find themselves eventually a part of William McKinley High School’s deteriorated show choir, and Will’s ambition is to build the club up to recapture the heights it attained when he went to school there more than a decade earlier when they won the national championship, an objective made almost impossible now due to the underhanded schemes of the school’s tyrannical cheerleader sponsor Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch).

When the show returned from its four month hiatus, many of the dramatic missteps from the first thirteen shows were righted: the unpopular and unrepentant Terri was mostly relegated to the sidelines as Will filed for divorce. With the way cleared for Will and Emma to begin exploring their mutual attraction, Ken Tanaka disappeared from view. The teenage angst between the four principal young characters shifted into concern for Quinn’s well-being during her pregnancy and her plans for the baby while Rachel and Finn became involved in a new triangle relationship with a new character, Jesse St. James (Jonathan Groff), one of the stars of the glee club’s chief rival Vocal Adrenaline, who has newly transferred to McKinley High. Additionally, more dramatic time was devoted to other characters on the show, especially gay teen Kurt (Chris Colfer) and his crush on Finn, arranging for their single parents (Mike O’Malley, Romy Rosemont) to begin dating so the two of them can be thrown together more.

The show’s creative zenith is reached, of course, not in the dramatic scenes but in its song and dance sequences. It’s in its true element during the many thrilling, imaginative, and sometimes unexpectedly moving musical numbers. Shrewdly, the producers have not concentrated on any one type of music. Yes, there are the expected show tunes (“Maybe This Time,” “I Could Have Danced All Night,” “Defying Gravity,” “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going,” “Don’t Rain on My Parade,” “Home,” “I Dreamed a Dream”), but there are plenty of pop and rock classics (an entire episode devoted to Madonna tunes and another episode which splits its numbers between the music catalogs of Lady Gaga and Kiss), some smooth jazz, and even some rap and hip-hop (the least effective style for these trained singers) along the way. Every musical taste is touched in the show’s first season, and the glee club manages to make almost every one of them memorable. Among the real standouts are the pilot episode’s seminal showcase number “Don’t Stop Believin’” (which sold an amazing several million downloads on iTunes), Broadway veterans Matthew Morrison and Lea Michele making something special out of “Endless Love,” the roof-raising “Proud Mary” done in wheelchairs, the tender, heart-breaking handling of John Lennon’s “Imagine” with the show’s glee club alongside a choir of deaf teens, the simple, loving delivery of “True Colors,” and the club’s bid for its first sectional championship with “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and its climactic first appearance at Regionals with a medley of Journey hits including a blowout version of “Don’t Stop Believin’” that will have you hopping out of your chair to move with the beat. The show can poke some fun at the music, too, as with Lea Michele’s hilarious ego-fused “Run, Joey, Run” or the spot-on remake of “Vogue” starring a stupendously glamorized Sue Sylvester. And for sheer likeability and verve, it would be hard to top the group’s magnificently choreographed and performed “Jump” as the club moonlights doing a local mattress commercial to earn some extra fame for the group or the tear-inducing farewell to the club in “To Sir With Love” in the season finale.

Though the ensemble features true stage artists like Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison (both of whom make every song they’re featured in something special), the producers have wisely doled out wonderful numbers for some of the other cast members putting the spotlight on their burgeoning talents. Amber Riley’s sassy Mercedes has easily held her own in songs like “Beautiful” with Lea Michele’s soaring vocals, and among the boys, Corey Monteith’s “Can’t Fight This Feeling,” Mark Salling’s “Sweet Caroline,” and “The Lady Is a Tramp,” Kevin McHale’s (as wheelchair-bound Artie) “Dancing with Myself,” and “Safety Dance,” and Chris Colfer’s (as emerging gay teen Kurt) “A House Is Not a Home” and “Kurt’s Turn” show much potential. Add in some terrific guest stars (Victor Garber, Debra Monk, Olivia Newton-John, Kristin Chenoweth in two sensational appearances, Eve, Molly Shannon, Neil Patrick Harris, Idina Menzel), and Glee’s first season truly emerged as television’s most unique and entertaining hour.

Here are the twenty-two episodes contained on four discs in this first season Blu-ray set.

1 – Pilot (Director’s Cut)

2 – Showmance

3 – Acafellas

4 – Preggers

5 – The Rhodes Not Taken

6 – Vitamin-D

7 – Throwdown

8 – Mash-Up

9 – Wheels

10 – Ballad

11 – Hairography

12 – Mattress

13 – Sectionals

14 – Hell-O

15 – The Power of Madonna

16 – Home

17 – Bad Reputation

18 – Laryngitis

19 – Dream On

20 – Theatricality

21 – Funk

22 - Journey

Video Quality

4.5/5

The program’s 1.78:1 television aspect ratio is presented at 720p on Fox, and these 1080p transfers look wonderfully colorful and impressively detailed for the most part with rich, saturated color, über-accurate flesh tones, and distinctly deep blacks. The pilot episode seems to be a bit brighter and more heavily contrasted making for an inconsistent image, but the other episodes conform more to the same solid, detailed look that earns the show a near reference mark for quality. Each episode has been divided into 12 chapters.

Audio Quality

4.5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack spreads the terrific musical arrangements throughout the entire soundfield, sometimes with impressively directionalized singing voices and nice separation of instruments into various sound channels in the orchestrations. Though there are occasional ambient sounds during the school scenes (hallway and cafeteria noise, cheers at a football game), the sound design has not taken full advantage of every opportunity for impressive split surround effects. Since music is the show’s most important element, it’s important that the quality of the recording in this encode has been addressed, and it’s nice to hear that it has.

Special Features

5/5

Glee Jukebox” is included on each disc. It allows the viewer who only wants to see and hear the episode’s musical numbers to choose them individually and go straight into the episode for each one.

“Behind the Pilot: A Visual Commentary with Cast and Crew” offers the pilot in side-by-side video commentary with most of the cast (notable absentees are Lea Michele, Mark Salling, and Jayma Mays) and the show’s three creators (Ryan Murphy, Ian Brennan, Brad Falchuk) and choreographer Zach Woodlee reminiscing about making the first episode.

Sing Along Karaoke is provided for four numbers: “Alone,” “Somebody to Love,” “Keep Holding On,” and “Don’t Stop Believin’.” The sing along lyrics are provided on the screen, and by pushing the audio button on the remote, the lead vocals are removed so the viewer can become the star of the song.

“Staying in Step with Glee introduces us to show choreographer Zach Woodlee as he teaches us the dance steps for “Rehab,” the first Vocal Adrenaline musical number seen in the pilot episode. It’s in 1080p and runs for 6 ¼ minutes.

“Bite Their Style” features an interview with the show’s costume designer Lou Eyrich as she shops for clothes for four of the show’s major characters and explains her clothing choices: Rachel, Kurt, Mercedes, and Quinn. The interview lasts 8 ¾ minutes in 1080p.

“Unleashing the Power of Madonna” is a behind-the-scenes look at the intricate production of the Madonna episode featuring cast and crew talking about their excitement over the project and their impressions of each of the numbers. This runs 10 ½ minutes in 1080p.

“Making a Showstopper: Bohemian Rhapsody” has Ryan Murphy, show writer/director of the episode Brad Falchuk, choreographer Zach Woodlee, and star Jonathan Groff discussing the two days of intense rehearsals to build the number for the season finale. The number is then presented in its entirety. The entire piece runs 17 ¼ minutes in 1080p.

“Welcome to William McKinley!” is a 5-minute fictional introduction to the setting for the series, William McKinley High School, hosted by principal Figgins (actor Iqbal Theba in character). It’s presented in 480i.

Glee Music Video” is a 2 ¾-minute promotional spot for the show with clips from the pilot episode set to music. It’s in 480i.

There are two full length audition sequences from the pilot (cut there for time constraints) . Rachel’s “On My Own” runs 3 ¼ minutes while Mercedes’ “Respect” runs for 1-minute. Both are in 480i.

“Fox Movie Channel Presents Casting Session” is 12 minutes with creators Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan discussing the genesis of the project and going into some detail with casting the major student roles: Rachel (Lea Michele), Finn (Cory Monteith), and Kurt (Chris Colfer) with clips of their actual auditions. It’s in 480i.

“Deconstructing Glee promises more than it delivers: 2 ¾ minutes with Ryan Murphy describing the need for triple threat artists in the parts and the chance everyone took hoping that this kind of series would work. It’s in 480i.

“Dance Boot Camp” finds choreographer Zach Woodlee showing the original steps to five major cast members for the pilot episode. This 480i feature runs 3 ¼ minutes.

“Jane Lynch A to Glee and “Meet Jane Lynch” are two throwaway vignettes with the show’s resident villain on display. The first is basically clips from the pilot while the second has the actress very briefly describing her character. Each featurette runs one minute in 480i.

“Things you Don’t Know About” is a series of brief featurettes with four of the show’s stars telling some semi-private things about themselves. We find out five pieces of information about Jayma Mays (¾ minute), seven things about Cory Monteith (1 minute), six things about Amber Riley (1 minute), and seven things about Chris Colfer (¾ minute). All are in 480i.

There are eight video diaries shot when the cast gathered for the network upfronts in New York City. They may be viewed individually are in one 17 ¼-minute grouping. The participants are Jane Lynch, Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison, Cory Monteith, Kevin McHale, Amber Riley, Chris Colfer, and Dianna Agron. All are in 480i.

In Conclusion

4.5/5 (not an average)

One of the past season’s most unusual and deeply entertaining and affecting shows, Glee is a must-see experience for lovers of music, nutty comedy, and an often involving (but sometimes irritating) over-the-top dramatic tone. The Blu-ray edition of season one’s episodes does the show proud and comes highly recommended!

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Matt.

My wife and I are big musicals fans and didn't see an episode of season 1 when it aired (still haven't). I also didn't get sucked into the half-season DVD release...so this is the release I'll be getting.

The product--from content to transfer--sounds terrific. I might wait till prices drop a little bit closer to the holidays (fingers crossed). but I'll have to see how long I can hold out. It's gonna be a tough 4th quarter of 2010!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the review, Matt. You certainly peaked my curiosity.

Just took a peek thru one of the later episodes (along w/ a few select scenes from others) on the Fox site. Looks and sounds interesting -- certainly seems better than I originally assumed/expected. Probably just a slight bit too "mature" for my near-teen middle-schoolers although maybe not too far off now. I may pick up the BD set later when there's a nice sale.

BTW, is this aired on the regular, (free) broadcast FOX network? Wasn't too sure, but I only do OTA for regular TV stuff -- no cable/sat -- and I don't keep up w/ what's on regular TV anymore.

Thanks again.

_Man_

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Thanks for the review, Matt. You certainly peaked my curiosity.

Just took a peek thru one of the later episodes (along w/ a few select scenes from others) on the Fox site. Looks and sounds interesting -- certainly seems better than I originally assumed/expected. Probably just a slight bit too "mature" for my near-teen middle-schoolers although maybe not too far off now. I may pick up the BD set later when there's a nice sale.

BTW, is this aired on the regular, (free) broadcast FOX network? Wasn't too sure, but I only do OTA for regular TV stuff -- no cable/sat -- and I don't keep up w/ what's on regular TV anymore.

Thanks again.

_Man_

Yes, it airs on the Fox network, so OTA should be no problem. This fall, it will air on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. Midseason, Fox will move it somewhere else when American Idol comes back.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Great review, Matt. It reminds me why I like this show so much, and watched it first-run on Fox. It helps that I saw Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff on Broadway in Spring Awakening.

Now to look for a sale price on the BD set...

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just got this today. I look forward to the second half of season one. This is a family favorite that just keeping getting better.

And thanks for the review Matt.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Thanks for the review. I got this on release day and I am very happy with the transfers.

If I had any complaint, and it's kind of a big one, it is that Fox did not put a little booklet inside that describes the episodes. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a guide as to which songs are in which episodes and what each episode's story is about in case we wanted to see a certain performance or storyline? As it is you have to search the menus....and there's no song listing there either just a brief description. I think that was very poor planning on Fox's part. Looks like I will have to put together my own insert, Otherwise I am very happy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by RobertSiegel

Thanks for the review. I got this on release day and I am very happy with the transfers.

If I had any complaint, and it's kind of a big one, it is that Fox did not put a little booklet inside that describes the episodes. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a guide as to which songs are in which episodes and what each episode's story is about in case we wanted to see a certain performance or storyline? As it is you have to search the menus....and there's no song listing there either just a brief description. I think that was very poor planning on Fox's part. Looks like I will have to put together my own insert, Otherwise I am very happy.

I agree with you, Robert. In fact, I viewed Glee after coming off reviewing both the Smallville and Supenatural Blu-ray box sets, and both contained very helpful booklets not just for reviewing but also for viewing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Found a terrific bargain on this release and watched episode 1 yesterday with my wife. We both thought it was pretty good for a pilot and are looking forward to getting caught up.

My strategy will be to start stockpiling season 2 episodes on the DVR till then (already underway!).

I hear you, Robert (loud & clear) on the absence of a booklet with ep. descriptions. Not too long ago I opened up the case of a new film and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an insert with a chapter list! I'm afraid I can't give credit where it is due because I cannot remember what film it was. I'm all for keeping prices down...but such a reference for a season's worth of TV shows is a no-brainer.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Originally Posted by RobertSiegel

In fact, since inserts for chapter listings and such are often sorely missing as noted, maybe we should consider organizing an effort toward sharing print-ready, homebrewed inserts here on HTF possibly via the wiki feature, etc.

_Man_

John Swarce

Second Unit
I absolutely love this set, but what drives me crazy (and I didn't see it mentioned in the review) was the extremely long load times for the main menu! Not too big of a problem playing it through my PS3, but my Panansonic BD-35 has fits with this.

--John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks