What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Ghostbusters (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Yeah, that drove me crazy the first time I tried to watch one of Sony's PIP features, on GROUNDHOG DAY. Finally someone told me that I had to go into the setup menu for my Blu-ray player. However, I didn't know if that was a general problem or something specific to my Blu-ray player.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I can't wait to buy this! Even though I don't even own a Blu-ray deesc player yet I can't complain. Well, I could actually. Since it's GHOSTBUSTERS 25th Anniversary, GHOSTBUSTERS 2/II's 20th Anniversary is also this year. Where's the Blu-ray for that or are they finally going to make special features for it?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

This pixar PIP just accompany a commentary track, i.e. the audio just switches over to an entirely new track.

Full PiP mixes the secondary audio on top of the films existing track(s), which is where the problem arises.

litemakr

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I cannot get this disc to play on my Samsung BD-P1400. I exchanged the disc once and my firmware is up to date. Has anyone else had problems?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I don't think I've ever seen it, that's why I thought it so odd and cool that it was uncovered and included with the game. It may have even been in HD, I'm not entirely sure.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just want to pass my compliments to Sony for coming out with an outstanding disc. The best Ghostbusters has ever looked.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Maybe when Ghostbusters II (that's II, not 2) comes out, assuming they produce some new material, they can also add the trailers, TV spots, and other items missing from the first film (like still galleries). Just a thought.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Other than that, job well done Sony!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
It's funny to see how diametrically opposed the feedback on the Ghostbusters BD is here compared to the feedback on Amazon. Some reviewers are calling it the worst blu-ray they have ever seen.

It just shows how film grain adverse some people are.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
I just picked up this disc today (well, actually, my post-sound gal picked it up as her local store had it, and mine was still waiting to receive theirs!).

it's delightful. the grain. the matte boxes on the dogs. the occasional dodgy effect.

i recently rewatched the dvd. i loved it. I loved it on VHS, a bad copy an aunt taped for me around the time that #II came out.

And tonight? I've loved it even more.

Kudos to you, Sony.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers

It's funny to see how diametrically opposed the feedback on the Ghostbusters BD is here compared to the feedback on Amazon. Some reviewers are calling it the worst blu-ray they have ever seen.

It just shows how film grain adverse some people are.
Sad but true. I thought we were finally getting rid of people complaining about black bars (and even those are still around) and now film grain is the new enemy, or so it seems. The discussion on the Blu-ray.com forum shows this very well. People who don't understand you can't compare a film like Ghostbusters with Dr. No or 2001: A Space Odyssey (yes, they're older, but shot in very different times) or just don't understand why the grain is there to begin with. Although discussing something can be good sometimes, it's just hitting a dead horse over there. I think I'm not going there anymore.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Sad but true. I thought we were finally getting rid of people complaining about black bars (and even those are still around) and now film grain is the new enemy, or so it seems. The discussion on the Blu-ray.com forum shows this very well. People who don't understand you can't compare a film like Ghostbusters with Dr. No or 2001: A Space Odyssey (yes, they're older, but shot in very different times) or just don't understand why the grain is there to begin with. Although discussing something can be good sometimes, it's just hitting a dead horse over there. I think I'm not going there anymore.
Even aintitcool.com's Harry Knolls put it down a bit, saying he saw a recent 35mm screening and it wasn't as grainy as the BD. I tend to think that the grain was probably there but it's expected during a real film screening and doesn't stick out. However, on BD, some expect a glassy smooth image and any grain throws off thier aesthitic expectations.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Has anyone considered there are way too many HDTV sets out there with picture processing that accentuates the grain?

I had to get closer to my monitor to see what the fuss was all about. For better or worse, I actually noticed the special effects flaws more than the grain. I had never seen matte boxes during the Stay-Puft scene on any other format.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched this a couple of nights ago and thought it looked great. And by "great," I mean it looked how I expected Ghostbusters to look and that it looked as good as it ever has on any home format without out sacrificing any of its unique film qualities.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
We watched this last night and I thought it looked really good. I can't really see what there is to complain about. I say keep it coming, Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks