Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: ENEMY OF THE STATE

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
This is what I like about the studios that are Blu-Ray only. They'll actually make use of the extra space on the 50 GB disc (uncompressed PCM), as opposed to making one 30GB package and putting it on both formats. I can't fault them for cutting costs, but it would sure be nice to get to the point when everybody would do that.

Of course with a different codec they could have used lossless compression and stuck to a BD-25 probably, but at least everyone can enjoy lossless audio NOW with this disc. And it's the end product that matters. If there were hours of bonus features in HD or a much longer feature you'd need the more efficient codec, but if you don't...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
*Ugh*
Now this one hurts for HD-DVD fans since I don't believe this title was ever released to the DVD format with anamorphic enhancement ...

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ben:

Are the two deleted scenes the same as on the Unrated Extended Edition ("Jones Gets Bitten" and "Confrontation At the Limousine Service")?

Too bad it appears that the "All Access: "The Showdown"" production featurette on the gunfight at Pintero's that appears on the Unrated is not on the BD?

Will be interesting to see how long Disney waits before releasing the longer cuts of this (and Crimson and several other Bruckheimer titles) on BD.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Paul... thanks for the catch! "The Showdown" is, indeed, included on this Blu-Ray. Somehow, I just completely left it off on the review! The deleted scenes are also the same ones you mention. Although I didn't have a copy of the Unrated DVD for comparison, it looks as if this blu-ray release has all of the same extras.

Thanks again!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for reply, Ben. Gotta be thorough on these titles for which there have been multiple previous releases.

I guess I'm okay with the omission of the two very brief "Production Featurettes" from the original DVD that didn't make it to the SE either. EPK fluff.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The anamorphic DVD (which I had reviewed here at HTF) was pretty good by "live action Disney" DVD standards... but not as good as a typical WB DVD.

Glad to hear that the image of this BD is fantastic. I'm thinking about picking this one up.

Is the video stream MPEG2? So far the Disney BD that has impressed me most was 8 Below and that was AVC.

Great review Ben!

dave

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Thanks, Dave!

This is definitely a Mpeg-2 disc and a promise it won't disappoint!

-Ben

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo