What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Cliffhanger (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This was one of my demo LDs back in the day. The opening scene where the helicopter came up from below you was spectacular.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. Thanks for the review!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Cliffhanger has some really hysterical moments in it. My personal favorite is one bit where Stallone is sliding super fast down a slope, while holding the face of one of the poor defenseless bad guys in the ice. When they get to the cliff's edge, Stallone somehow pulls out an icehook and lodges it without pulling his arm out of its socket (and going from 60 mph to 0 mph in a single second). The bad guy of course does not have the time or opportunity to use an ice hook, so he goes over the cliff backwards, and there's a great moment as he flies off the cliff of him starting the "ah-ah-ah-ah-AH..." before they cut to him plummeting in slow motion and yelling the traditional Goofy "Wah-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo..." I know I should pay more respect to his character, but I remember being really tickled by this...

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Erik Johansson

The trailer music is Mozart's Requiem "Dies Irae", identified and discussed here.
Thanks. Harlin talks about the music during his introduction to the trailer, but for some reason he does not identify it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
As much as people like to make fun of Renny Harlin and his movies, he has made a handful of decent flicks and this one is his best IMO. Action movies are typically "check-your-brain-at-the-door" type of stuff so I try not to overanalyze them. They certainly don't make them like this anymore.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I watched this and I was laughing and loving it. It's been a few years but there are some moments of the film that just crack me up. The way that Qualen keeps messing with Travers, When Kynett tries to kill Stallone's character and does all that talking before hand. When the English guy is describing being a striker on the soccer team. I was just busting a gut!

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the film. It's still a top flight action film and certainly Stallone's best outside the Rocky/Rambo films.

I can't go there as far as the reviewer on the video. I felt there were some soft moments and lack of fine detail in the picture. Some moments colors were bolder, some not. Overall, it's pretty decent for an early 90's film.

Now the audio was surprisingly robust. While dialogue wasn't that great, effects really came to like and were fairly articulate. It's a definite upgrade over the DVD.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
When I saw this movie years ago, it took me a little while to get into it, because the whole plot is set into motion by an event at the very beginning that should never have happened in the first place. What was Stallone's character doing up there in the mountains using cheap non-professional equipment that I wouldn't trust 30 feet up in a tree in the back yard? But once you accept all the silliness, the movie's a pretty fun ride.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We watched our copy last night. It had been several years since I last saw this film, and agree that it is a fun, yet completely implausible movie. We noticed several continuity and plot hole issues, but it's still very entertaining.

I expected the video quality to be excellent, but was especially impressed with the audio. It's a terrific DTS HD Master soundtrack -- demo worthy, IMO.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Can anyone here help me with something...

ratethatcommentary.com lists 3 commentary tracks for Cliffhanger:
http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/detail.php/590

The Info: 'These commentaries are only available on the Columbia Tri-Star DVD Special Edition. The Stallone/Harlin Combo is ported from the previous Pioneer laserdisc special edition. The other two tracks are new.'

Commentary 1: Actor Sylvester Stallone and director Renny Harlin
Commentary 2: Technical crew
Commentary 3: Director Renny Harlin

DVD Compare show's that the various DVD / Blu Rays have the following tracks:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=15191

I originally thought that ratethatcommentary.com was in error and it's just commentary 1 and 2 that exist.

However - LDDB claims that the Pioneer SE Laserdisc has a Renny Harlin solo track:
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/20227/...pecial-Edition

I can confirm the existence of:
... as I am currently listening to them.

Can anyone here confirm the Renny Harlin solo track? Or is this an error on someones part?
Stallone does not contribute much to the Harlin / Stallone track, so I wondered if someone was mistaken on this when entering the information on either LDDB or rate that commentary.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks