What's new

HTF BD REVIEW: Predator (1 Viewer)

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
It would seem some movie studios are up to their old tricks by releasing these sub-par discs now and something incrementally better later on. Well, at least Lucasfilm had the right idea with the Star Wars films. It took seven years but there's only one set on DVD (not counting the non-anamorphic OT). If/when it comes to BD, I'm willing to wager it will be a definitive collection.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I will probably keep my dvd. Thanks for the review because I was wanthing to check here before any decision.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to own this and Commando for nostalgia's sake, but not at this price. I really don't care about extras, but if they're not there, lower the price...I'm not paying a premium for just the movie, sorry.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
the problem with DVD Beaver comparisons is that the screencaps look great in a small window on a computer monitor. Put it on a 110" and it's a different story.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Are those Blu-ray caps taken via computer etc? Or just with digital camera?

IF they´re taken via digital camera, they´re pretty much useless IMO. Sure, even those will show the strength of HD, no question, but we would need comparisons more like perhaps this one:
Whiggles.com version 9

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I'm not buying this or any other Fox release until they start treating there releases with a little more respect. I'll spend my money on a couple of Warner titles instead.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

You are using a 10a? That means you are only getting the DTS core, correct? I personally crossed this off my list specifically because it included only a DTS-MA and regular DD track, rather than PCM or TruHD. Why stick it early adopters when there is nothing to be gained by including a lossless track that many can not decode?

Brian

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i wonder if fox is ever going to release the original uncut version of the film.

as for this br: i don't mind having no extras on it, as i already have the dvd. but for a single layer mpeg2 movie, the price is way to high. if it's in the bargain bin, i might grab it.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Micheal - Thanks for the review

I have no problems with the age of this film and it's minimal improvement on the BD, but Fox greed is on display once again. High price for film only. Someone doesn't like to pay fees for the extras on the CE?

Aholes IMO - No Thanks!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

?

Only the original R2 UK and R4 (which used the same master as UK) -releases were cut (by the BBFC). SEs are uncut with R2/R4 also.
(note: Meaning SD DVDs here)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I love Predator, but there's no way I'll pay MSRP or anywhere close to it for this BD. I'll either pick it up used at a big discount on eBay/Amazon or I won't buy it at all. Fox is really starting to piss me off. :thumbsdown:

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I fell for this once with RoboCop. It was an improvement over the previous SD versions, but it's not hard to improve on garbage now is it?

I'll just wait for the eventual double-dipped, remastered version that Fox will no doubt put out when the next cruddy Alien vs. Predator (and you know they'll do another one) movie comes out.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:, guys.

I CAN FEEEEEEL YOUR ANGAH!

While I totally understand the sentiment in this thread, I'm starting to feel a bit badly for our esteemed reviewer, Michael Osadciw. It seems like every review and title announcement eventually turns into a bitch session about Fox. Again, not that it isn't warranted. It's just sad Fox has so little concern for us.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

With any luck, Fox has an open, two-way dialogue established with Michael wherein he can convey our ongoing frustration with Fox's pricing and (to me) more important issue of truncated or altogether absent bonus features.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Michael does a fine job. The AVS string on this title is in line with this one. Unhappy people

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Agreed on Michael's reviews. I'm glad he calls them as he sees them. I'm as guilty if not more so than anyone on HTF for continually beating the Fox dead horse, but since I assume some of the decision makers at Fox still lurk on this forum, we'll keep banging the drum. Also, Predator is a huge favorite of mine, so I was at least hoping for a package containing all of the extras from the 2 disc SE should I ever run into it used.

I really wonder if releases like this and Commando are leftover from Fox's initial run of Blu-Rays, and they have just spaced out releasing them. I know that theory is kinda out of left field, but what's with the MPEG2 and the BD25? Shoot, even on a BD25 I would think they could have fit the movie and the standard def supplements using AVC on the feature.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

at least if memory serves right, there was a talk about it that mr. mctiernan had to remove a few shots to gain the r-rating.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I realised that I too had commented on Fox's sorry package without thanking Michael for his informative review. Sorry Michael! You review is much appreciated!

I don't think this theory is out of left field at all! I believe it too, and have stated so already in this thread - post #4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks