Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_main-205.jpg">

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I thought for sure they would include the extras from the two-disc SE set.
I was afraid of the transfer - the original DVD appeared to use the existing transfer they used for the LD, and the anamorphic re-release, as well as the two disc SE, used a transfer that looked like it came from the same master. Fox really needs to do an out and out remaster of this title to do it justice on BD.

Won't even be getting this one used, and it's one of my favorites.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I could work around the horrible retail, if I was getting a fine package for whatever discounted price I could find on this.

But - no extras on a catalogue title for $40 when a collector's edition already exists just makes me sick. Its such a blatant double-dip strategy that I just can't buy into it.

I see this is another MPEG-2 title, and I believe its already been available for some time abroad. I wonder if its one of those first wave blu titles - no extras, mpeg2, that has just taken a long time to get released. Somehow I feel if the title went into production today, we might get those extras...

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yup, off my purchase list as well. Ridiculous Fox, just ridiculous...no extras equals no sale!!!!!!!!!!

Guy_K

Second Unit
Being mainly concerned with picture quality I will probably check out a couple other reviews before deciding... maybe it will take a few years for them to re-release this, though perhaps the reviewer is right and Predator is already as good as it will look.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
MPEG-2? Check. No Special Features? Check. $40? Check. :thumbsdown:

Thanks, Fox.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
I think people are not reading into Mike's review correctly here, I like this part:

Compared to other newer and older releases, the video of Predator won’t wow anyone but those appreciative of the benefits of a high def upgrade will be content.

Predator is Predator and will never be anything else as he indicated, I don't have this title yet but I guarantee anyone that is a fan will appreciate this very much so based on this review alone and ultimately the consideration of the material at hand

I remember how pleased I was with the SE DVD set that came out a few years back, I can't wait to get this ;)

-Gary

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I´ll eventually get this (along with "Commando"), no question, but not in full price... Like I said in the other thread, IMO both "Commando" and "Predator" Blu-ray-titles were probably "ready to go" for quite some time. For some reason they´re just released now.

(Speculation of course...)

It´s sad that Fox keeps putting out these "bare bones"-releases now, when they should bang the BD-drum along with the other studios. Full blown SE with extras etc would sell, even in "full price". MPEG-2 is not a deal breaker for me, I´ve seen great MPEG-2 titles.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
100% agree with above sentiments.

The same thing happened with Robocop BD, which went from my most anticipated title of 2007 to a no-sale overnight!

No extras is totally unacceptable, and really gives the impression that Fox just don't care about next-gen. When most other BD studios are giving decent amounts of extras, what's Fox's excuse?!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
As far as no extras, I think Fox is just setting this up for a double dip as they did with the DVD. They released it twice with no extras until the third DVD release (note the PQ was the same on all three releases). Since I don't usually care about extras, I'll definitely pick this up when I can get it at a decent price. I'm sure it's a nice upgrade over the SD DVD in terms of video and this is a movie that's never going to look like eye candy.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I weren't paying for this via store credit received from trading in unwanted SD DVDs, I am sure I would be a lot more vocal in my complaints. However, the movie trumps the extras every time, and I consider this a 'must-own' title.

Commando is a totally different story. I don't think there is a price-point or set of supplements immaginable that would get me to purchase it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
DVD Beaver has a review up with some nice screen caps at and SD/BD comparison shots at

Predator - Blu-ray - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Looks like the PQ is quite good after all. There's still no way I'm buying it new and supporting Fox's current policies, but if I can find it used for $15 or under I might have to grab it based on those screen caps alone.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll have to buy this one as well, one of my all time favs, but not at Fox's prices. I don't care about the extras so that's not a concern.

Goko

Agent
Real Name
Joe E
Fox does seem to have a take it or leave it arrogant attitude toward HDM consumers don't they. Like everyone else I'm wondering - WHY???
I e-mailed Bill Hunt over at the Digital Bits to try and get some answers.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
It would be great if someone from Fox would reply or some site could arrange interview or something with them. Not just about the price or "negative issues", but Blu-ray generally..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks