What's new

HTF BAT-RAY REVIEW: Batman - The Movie (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My BATMAN THE MOVIE Blu-Ray arrived in today's mail, and I look forward to viewing this once I've finished Season 1 of the BATMAN Television Series!

A Photo of the Back and Front Covers of BATMAN THE MOVIE (From freedvdcover.com):

getdvdcovers_batman-the-movie-blu-ray Resized.jpg

The Region B version of the Blu-Ray Back Cover (From discshop.se):

batman_the_movie_1966_blu_ray.jpg

If only the Back Cover was included on the Amazon Listings! Ah, Well!

CHEERS! :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The cover is very confusing. I think there was a cover of the Keaton film that also just used the bat symbol. Not the same but similar. Who knows why they just didn't use a photo of Adam and Burt.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoeDoakes said:
The cover is very confusing. I think there was a cover of the Keaton film that also just used the bat symbol. Not the same but similar. Who knows why they just didn't use a photo of Adam and Burt.
Hi Ray!

It only makes sense, considering Messrs. West and Ward did appear in the Movie and all! ;)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
David Deeb said:
I take that back, yes, I do have a problem with it, but not the same as you. My problem is the unnecessary trailers that are forced on me on this BD release. It won't let you go to the pop-up menu. If Blu-ray is going to succeed, studios have to stop the relentless advertising and endless warnings. It already takes a while for a BD player to warm up, then a little longer for this disc to load, and then a little longer to go through all these commercials. I wish their was a way to petition for immediate pop-up menus. Warner and a few other studios are getting it right, but not Fox on this disc.
Hi David!

While I do agree that this is a bit frustrating, I've found that a few pressings of the Chapter Skip >>| speeds up the process a great deal with this Blu-Ray!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Something that I read online has rather piqued my curiosity.

The reason often cited for Julie Newmar having been unable to play Catwoman in the 1966 BATMAN Movie was that she was busy with her role in the Western MACKENNA'S GOLD.

According to information on IMDB and Wikipedia, MACKENNA'S GOLD wasn't issued to Theaters until May 10, 1969! The way I see this, either this Film was besieged with massive delays or else the above is an urban legend that has even permeated the minds of Adam West and Burt Ward, who cite Julie's working on MACKENNA'S GOLD in their BATMAN: THE MOVIE commentary!

If indeed, MACKENNA'S GOLD wasn't Julie Newmar's reason for being unable to appear in the BATMAN Movie, then what was the real reason?

P.S. The whole MACKENNA'S GOLD saga just became even more curious for me. I just discovered that Burgess Meredith, who wasn't too busy to play the Penguin in the BATMAN Movie, also appeared in MACKENNA'S GOLD!

In addition, then budding Filmmaker George Lucas made a 5 minute documentary, titled 6-18-67 (Presumably short form for "June 18, 1967.") about the making of MACKENNA'S GOLD. As this was quite a long time after the shooting of the BATMAN Movie, the often told story behind Julie Newmar's being unable to play Catwoman in the Film has become much less plausible, in my opinion!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The other day, I read about the reason why Julie Newmar was unable to reprise her iconic Catwoman Villainess during the third, and last season of BATMAN.

The reason that was cited was Julie Newmar was busy filming MCKENNA'S GOLD!

Based on the fact that aforementioned Feature Western had been filming at least by mid 1967, this scenario is in my opinion, far more credible than as a reason for Julie Newmar being unable to appear in the BATMAN Movie, which was filmed in the spring of 1966!

I have a speculative theory as to why Julie Newmar wasn't in the 1966 Feature Film. Perhaps it has something to do with her Catwoman having appeared in only one story-line during the first BATMAN season?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Tony, funny you should ask. I was on another site and someone said that the reason Julie was not in the Batman Movie was because the studio decided to make it at the last minute (it was filmed between seasons 1 and 2) and she already had acting commitments lined up for that time. Originally, the movie was supposed to be made before the series started. This is from someone else so if I'm wrong don't shoot the messenger!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
JoeDoakes said:

The four pre-Nolan Batman films all used variations of the bat symbol on their covers. Batman had the normal black and yellow symbol; Batman Returns was snow swept; Batman Forever was green with the Riddler's question mark; Batman and Robin married the Batman symbol with something smaller for Robin.

Similar, but not confusing, especially since all the covers list the main cast somewhere on the art.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bob_S. said:
Tony, funny you should ask. I was on another site and someone said that the reason Julie was not in the Batman Movie was because the studio decided to make it at the last minute (it was filmed between seasons 1 and 2) and she already had acting commitments lined up for that time. Originally, the movie was supposed to be made before the series started. This is from someone else so if I'm wrong don't shoot the messenger!
Hi Bob!

First of all, I would never shoot you or any other messenger! ;)

Second, from what I've seen of Julie Newmar's 1966-67 acting commitments, they appear to have consisted of four TV guest appearances, and a UK Filmed Cinematic obscurity entitled Monsieur Lecoq from 1967, that starred Zero Mostel. Somewhat frustratingly, there appears to be a woeful lack of shooting schedule and even release date information for this Film, that makes MCKENNA'S GOLD's a comparable treasure trove! :P

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks