What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm sure it's not 2000 hours — a complete 48-episode TV series, of 25 episodes, is only 20 hours [1200 minutes]. Still and all, at only $75 for however much there is of it, you did get a very good per-minute price. I paid 10 cents per minute for the KOR TV sets, but I'd guess you didn't pay half that.

Eric F

Screenwriter
My mistake. I meant to say 2000mins, not hours. Heh.

Still a damn lot of viewing in any event. If the movies were priced a little cheaper I would have purchased those too.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I plowed through a bit more of my pile this weekend;

Stratos 4 volumes 2-4: Well, this series ends up being something like Planetes-lite, with some alien invaders thrown in, and a dash of the X-Files. The characters did kind of grow on me. One thing that struck me is that the four mains looked a lot like the four mains from Serial Experiments Lain, but of course the personalities are different. If you're looking for a fun, light sci-fi show, you could do much worse. 'B', recommended.

Starship Operators volume one: Reality TV meets galactic warfare. It has none of the Lord of the Flies overtones that Infinite Ryvius has, just some college-level cadets figting the enemy on galactic TV. I'm going to try and watch more this week.

John.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I just finished all of Gungrave. Great series, worth picking up.

Basically it's a show about two friends trip up the ladder in the Mafia. I actually thought the monster/sci-fi elements were stupid and wished they would just go away. It would have been a perfectly good show without all that silly monster stuff.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
So far, A-Ko the Versus is a take-it-or-leave it for me. I found the original Project A-Ko hilarious, but this is just sort of strange. Submarine-style combat with sand instead of water? Oh well, it was only $5 anyway!

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
The first episode of Urushihara's Front Innocent was released in the U.S. a while back by Media Blasters under the title Another Lady Innocent. I've seen it, and the artwork is gorgeous. As for what he's up to now, my guess would be episode 2 of Front Innocent. The first episode took a *long* time (it was delayed several times in Japan before it was finally released) so it could be a while.

Oh, if there are any Kimagure Orange Road fans here who have yet to pick up the DVDs, AnimEigo is currently blowing out the series at $5.99/disc. Their license expires in July and then KOR will go OOP.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Is Lady Innocent based on a manga? I recall seeing some of his artwork from that series - just really gorgeous stuff...I don't know if it is a manga or not, as I've only seen stills from one of Urushihara's artbooks.

BTW, I'm watching Legend of Galactic Heroes. What a fantastic show. I find the military tactics stuff a little simplistic in some ways - but everything else is just great. It is a travesty that this is not available for sale in North America (but NOT for $1700 USD).

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I watched a couple more disks over the last few days:

Starship Operators volume two: The war heats up, and there are casualities on both sides. Some new inter-character relationships are started as well. This has been a pretty good series so far, with a serious tone.

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 3 volume one. I was a bit unprepared for this disk. The plot so far is a bit disjointed, especially the first episode where about half of the time is spent on flashbacks to the first two OVAs. Unfortunately, the flashbacks were interspersed with telling the current story, which made it hard to follow. We get introduced to a few new characters, and some unfortunate changes to the basic story. I'm hoping the episodes on the second disk will be a bit more coherent.

John.

James D

Second Unit
I just finished off FMP:Fumoffu and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to start a reviewing of Full Metal Panic[even though I still have a backlog of unwatched anime]. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the first disc of FMP 2nd Raid in October.:)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I have Full Metal Panic right now. I borrowed it from a friend of mine. Now, another friend and I have seen the first episode and we thought the series had soem potential.

Also, I watched a bunch of anime with my geeky friends last night. We saw some Chrono Crusade (eh, boring, not a fan of it), Elfen Lied (seems alright), and Fullmetal Alchemist (never have liked it, and i still don't). I'm happy because I got them to watch an episode of the Venture Bros (one of the best shows on Adult Swim right now), but sadly, no one other than myself seemed to really enjoy it. :frowning:

Last night, I also started watching Evangelion on Adult Swim. It felt weird, mostly because I had Adult Swim on after 11:30, and I was missing The Daily Show. I think that this series is also showing some potential.

Another thing. I'm proably going to another anime convention in August. However, this time I'm going to dress up. Yes, you heard right. But, I'm not going to cosplay (at least I don't think). I'm going to be pimping the Dreamcast hardcore. My friend and I just got done making a VMU necklace that has 6 bright blue LEDs on the top, and 40 red LEDs in the place of the screen that you can change the brightness of. Next, I think we are going to make some Dreamcast swords modeled after the one Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 (I hated that game) has. Finally, I plan on doing some Dreamcast style shirts, making a new Flavor Flav style clock, and dying my hair blue. It will be the most amazing thing you will ever see in your life.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It may be a generational issue, because a lot of the jokes are hard to get if you don't get the references, like Johnny Quest or The Six Million Dollar Man.

Can't wait for season two to start this weekend.

Jason

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have my eye set to buy the Gantz box set. I dont experiment much, but for 40 bucks how can i go wrong? And ive got a $10 dollar off coupon from Best Buy for anything except new releases. So $30 is almost a steal!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Andy, I'm watching the english fansubs. The ones done by Central Anime are not bad at all. However, there is a mix of fansubs - once I get past episode 40 I'll be forced to watch subs from the Hong Kong DVDs - or watch the VHS versions with the better fansubs. Ugh, I am not looking forward to that decision.

The subs from the Hong Kong discs are pretty terrible. Pronouns get mixed up all the time and miss too much details.

Anyhow, I finished volumes 7 & 8 of Fighting Spirit. It is starting to get repetitive, and character development is suffering - too much boxing, not enough fun outside-of-the-ring stuff! But the Miyata storyline made up for it towards the end of volume 8...good stuff. Doesn't quite have the magic of the first few volumes, but still entertaining!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I see those - but not sure who did those yet. Episodes 1-40 were supposedly done by Central Anime, then there was a gap of 30 episodes, then from 70 onwards there are more Central Anime subs - um - I think. Weird.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
The eps central subs released were redone by the other fansub group and they kept continuing from there. They are up to ep 75, and they have 1 more series to go to finish off the supposedly "tv-series" OVAs. Yet to find people doing the OVA offshoot series yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks