1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I set aside some time yesterday night to watch the Full Metal Alchemist movie - The Conqueror of Shamballa.

I enjoyed it - it has a much more cohesive plot than the end of the TV series. The animation is very well done (are all the Gypsy girls in this movie HOT HOT HOT or what?) - good pacing too! Some very good action scenes. A fitting REAL finale for the series IMHO. All the major loose ends are tied here.

A large dose of suspension of disbelief may be needed though - you'll know what I mean when you watch it. [​IMG]

I think my positive reaction may be related to the fact I watched it in HD. 1920x1080p downscaled to 720p. It is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Some scenes are soft and I noticed what looked like deinterlacing artifacts (that carried over into the progressive version perhaps?) around character mouths - but it could be a scaling issue as well. No noticeable artifacts during heavy action scenes. Beautiful reference transfer - perhaps the best HD anime transfer I've ever seen so far.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Tidbit from A-Kon : "Paradise Kiss" anime has been licensed by Geneon, though it has not been announced yet. How do I know? A fansub version was on the Video Programing schedule, and when their rep saw the schedule he had it pulled.

Incidentally, there's a curious recent anime release called "Kamichuu" which I'm going to recommend. It's about a junior-high girl who becomes a Shinto goddess. Among other things, this gives her an ability to see all the proverbial "8 million gods" of Japan, and it's fun just to see the God of Discarded Beer Cans, or the fish gods all sitting on the end of the dock fishing. The art style is lovely, and the story in the first two or three episodes at least seems interesting.

3. MichaelSMI

MichaelSMI Extra

Hi John,

My girls (3.5yrs old) absolutely love My Neighbor Totoro it is definatly one of their favourites. I know i'd prefer watching it 99 times than some of the older disney cinderella/snow white type that my wife was feeding them :) There is some luma flickering in some areas on the R4 version apart from that its excellent. From what I understand the R4 version is one of the best (PQ wise).

Cheers,
    Michael

4. AlannaE

AlannaE Stunt Coordinator

Alanna Evans
    I used to love My Neighbor Totoro but find it to be boring now for some reason. There just doesnt seem to be enough happening in the beginning of the movie I guess. It is very slow paced. Im sure my daughter will probably like it alot when she is a little bit older though. She liked playing with the DVD case thats for sure and sat through about the first 40 minutes of the movie. She is 1 1/2 btw.

She LOVES Galaxy Angel though... and I have no idea why... so weird.

5. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

WHAT'S UP BIZNATCHES!!!

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    Just curious, but does anyone know anything about Gun Sword? I just got a card in the mail for a rebate on the first DVD. I did watch the trailer, and it looks like another one of those wild west crossed with SF shows. I was a bit disturbed by the apparent prehensile mustaches, tho.

Jason

8. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Jason:

I've just seen a trailer for it. I thought it was some sort of sci-fi show. I guess I missed the prehensile moustaches [​IMG].

John.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

No joke, I'm getting back into anime. [​IMG] [​IMG]

How is this happening?! Well, my 3 best friends that I've known for a while are into anime, and they kind of got me back into it. In fact just a few weeks ago, I went to my first anime convention with them. I even met Johnny Yong Bosch (the voice of Vash in the Trigun dub...AND THE FREAKIN' BLACK POWER RANGER!) and got a picture with him and his band, Eyeshine. I'll post it if anyone wants to see it.

I had so much fun that I'm going with them to the next one in Iowa at the beginning of August.

One of my friends has let me borrow these shows:
    -Evangelion
    -Trigun
    -Tenchi Universe

I haven't watched those yet, but how are they? I remember Trigun was pretty sweet from what I saw on Adult Swim, but I haven't seen the whole series.

Some other shows that I was planning to check out are these:
    -Super Milk Chan (The Americanized English dub, because I hear that's the funniest of the 3 versions)
    -Cromartie High School
    -Full Metal Panic
    -Berserk
    -Hellsing

How are those shows?

Also, I'm planning on signing up for Netflix or GeenCine because I really don't want to buy all of these series. Yeah, I have a job, but I just don't want to pay a fortune for these series when I may not even rewatch them. By the way, which one is better for all-around selection (not just anime), Netflix or GreenCine?

Now that I have shocked you, I must use my favorite new smiley on HTF...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

I've actually just signed up for NetFlix, so I couldn't tell you too much. At least for you, who hasn't seen a huge amount, it is probably a good thing to cover the basics. It is also cheaper.

If you were into more esoteric stuff, GreenCine probably would be better.

Jason

11. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    GunxSword is a giant-robot show, kind of. For some reason, on this planet out in the middle of nowhere, "armors" — anything from caterpillar tractors with arms to giant transforming combining robots and beyond — are fairly common. For some reason, the pilot of the most powerful armor is a kind of apathetic guy who wanders around searching for a man with an artificial arm, followed by a little girl whose brother was bought as a slave by the same guy. The pilot carries a sword, which he fights with, and uses to summon the big mech, which also is kind of in the shape of a sword. He routinely beats people armed with firearms. and yes, the prehensile moustaches were very strange.

12. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Examples? They have some somewhat esoteric stuff like Mr. Show, Strangers With Candy, The Brak Show, The Tick, etc.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The Brak Show? Heh...he must be going Coast to Coast solo!

Tony-B...hmmm. I vaguely remember that name.

Oh, your Anime Recommendations link in your .sig isn't working anymore!

If you like serious SF anime check out Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex . They have two seasons - the 2nd season is called 2nd Gig.

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
  15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

16. AlannaE

Alanna Evans
    Rahxephon is like a better version of Evangelion. Atleast I enjoyed it more. Evangelion had some really whiney characters that I just wanted to smack around. Repeatedly.

Tenchi is about all these girls that fawn over this spineless guy. I liked the first and third movies (probably cos they focused on the female characters who all have rip roaring personalities) but the series didnt really win me over.

Berserk is a wild bloody ride and dead serious, but the ending is kinda cliffhanger/unresolved. If you can deal with that then go for it. Its a good series.

Full Metal Panic is at its best when its not being overly serious. Episode 8 (I think) is one of the funniest in all of anime (too bad the Fumoffu series wasnt as funny as this). Worth a check, although they do alot of stuff military wise that makes absolutely no practical war sense whatsoever.

I havent seen Hellsing yet so I cant comment there. Ditto with a few others. Cromartie I saw two eps back when I had digital cable and wasnt impressed. It just was not that amusing (to me anyway...).

Definitely get Netflix. I have had it for about a year and it has been a great supplement to my anime supply of shows to watch. There are some things they never get in (like Bottle Fairy! Poo!) but the shipping is quick and Ive never had a problem with them. Their anime selection is rather nice so you wont have problems finding most anything you want. I highly recommend it, especially the $18.99 3 movies at a time deal. You cant beat that.

Welcome back Tony, its been pretty boring on here without you since most people just ignore each others posts. LOL

Oh and I wanted to mention that I have seen three eps of Ai Yori Aoishi (or whatever, too lazy to look up spelling) and I find the way the girlchick is such a slave to the male lead ("Ive trained my whole life to be your wife!" barf) to be absolutely disgusting. She has no personality (other than wanting to dedicate her life to this guy she just has a picture of...sick) and i cant take it after spending 13 episodes with the dippy boring Karen on Please Twins. Does this improve or should I just deep six it and move on?

17. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Alanna:

Actually, I think you're totally misinterpreting her character. She is not, in any sense of the word, a 'slave'. She loves Kaoru very much, and is a very old-fashioned person (someone described her as a 'yamato damashii' or traditional Japanese woman/person). She actually has quite a strong personality, but not in a 'get in your face' kind of way. I would say that she is quietly strong, more bedrock. In many ways, I think she's a lot stronger than Kaoru. You kind of have to watch more than three episodes to see this, though.

John.

18. AlannaE

Alanna Evans
    I meant it as more of a self imposed slave... but it just seems downright creepy that she gave up her whole life to train to be the wife of some guy she had a childhood picture of and her entire existance seems to be wrapped around pleasing him. True I have only seen the first three eps but will try out more to see how it progresses. I am glad that she ends up having more personality than first lead to be believed.

19. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Alanna:

Oh, I knew what you meant. She didn't just have a picture of him, she actually met him, and fell in love with him when they were younger. I don't think that's in the part that you've seen, though.

John.

20. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I know, I'm the shit. Feel free to praise me as often as you see fit.

Yeah, well, I have another anime to watch. My friend has let me borrow something called "Blue Submarine No. 6." It's a very short 4 episode series (which oddly enough comes on 2 double sided DVDs), and he said that I might like it. We'll see about that. And also, my friend wanted me to check into Desert Punk, since it seemed funny, and it had a few people we met at the anime con (Mike McFarland [Master Roshi, bitch] and Caitlin Glass) that we went to a few weeks ago. We actually saw a little bit of it at the convention, and it seemed like it would be pretty funny, but I just wanted to see if I could get an opinion of someone who's actually seen it. So, is it any good?!?!