1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. James D

James D Second Unit

I have been on a major Anime spending spree recently and I need to show some sort of self control. I've decided to get one last set for the time being and I narrowed it down to two choices. I'm going to get either the Haibane Renmei set or the Tenchi Muyo Universe set. The Haibane set is $43 from DDD and the Tenchi set is $50 from Rightstuf. From my understanding, Haibane Renmei is the better series. However, I loved the Tenchi OVA and there are twice as many episodes as there are in Haibane. So I guess the question is quality or quantity. Any opinions would be most welcomed. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

James:

Haibane Renmei. I've seen both, and HR is much better. Tenchi Universe is certainly enjoyable, but not in the same league.

John.

3. James D

James D Second Unit

That's what I figured and I was leaning that way. Thanks for the quick reply.[​IMG]

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I caught a few more episodes of Ergo Proxy (fansubbed!). Whoa - the opening theme (starting from episode 4) is just awesome. The music, the visuals. I love it.

The show gets better and better - I thought the first couple of episodes were lifeless and derivative - but no more! But there is a lot of death and blood (no gore, but plenty of blood splatters).

It does remind me of those survival movies and anime - the desolation, the loneliness, the dark drab colors. Throw in a totalitarian society and secret weapons for good measure. Part Logan's Run, part Fist of the North Star I suppose. Hmm, it does borrow quite a bit from the different genres.

I really dig the soundtrack as well. This anime seems to be tailored-made for the North American market though - Radiohead's Paranoid Android as the ending theme, the bit of high-tech gothiness in the lighting and sets. The conspicuous "Geneon USA" logos. [​IMG]

5. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I watched Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG volume five SE last night. The first two episodes were only marginally related to the main plot, while the last two were directly related. All of the episodes were excellent. You get some more character development for the Major in episode 17, and for Batou in 18. Episodes 19 and 20 have quite a bit of action, plus some revelations about the refugees. Picture-wise, the edge enhancement, while present, seemed toned down from previous disks.

John.

6. AlannaE

AlannaE Stunt Coordinator

Alanna Evans
    I havent posted in awhile...moved, got a new ISP, all that kind of good stuff. Hope everyone is doing awright. Have not watched a great deal of anime either but here are my thoughts on what I HAVE managed to see...

Angelic Layer - I enjoyed it marginally. The storyline was pretty stupid (which irritated me) and there was *way* too much battling for my tastes. I would compare it to Pokemon but with a stronger story thread running through it. The animation was nice too...but nothing really grabbed me about it.
    Favorite Moment: Anything that lead to story progression
    Least Favorite Moment: Most of the battling.... borrrrring and contrived.
    Rating: B- or a C+ havent decided yet in stone.

Sakura Wars OVA - watched the first two episodes and turned it off. The dub is absolutely TERRIBLE and everyone was excrutiatingly annoying. Maybe I will go back and finish it someday...but I doubt it. Bah.
    Favorite Moment (so far): None really
    Least Favorite Moment: The VA for the little girl. Ouch! Thats some painful voice acting.

Please Twins - From what I had read I assumed this would be something I was really into. Again, I found the characters to be very annoying, especially the two girls, and more specifically, Karen. The change in personality near the end (after some revelations) put her even higher on my hated list, and if I hear the sentence "we might relatives...we might be strangers" one more time, my head is going to explode. They should have wrapped it up with episode 12. #13 was completely unnecessary.
    Favorite Moment: The gayish guy that Crispin Freeman voiced. He was an absolute riot. Made me want to watch Utena again.
    Least Favorite Moment: Anytime Karen was on screen. Hated her from the first appearance.
    Rating: C-

Ghost Stories Vol. 1 - Had to check this out because of the hoopla over the dub. If it didn't have such a wacky dub though, it would be totally worthless. Its a kiddy show with some mild scares but the over-the-top written dub throws some real zingers in there. Love the cranky possessed cat too, he reminds me of an evil Salem (Sabrina the Teenage Witch). Enjoyable, but not anything you want to marathon I wouldnt think.
    Favorite Moment: The dub of course, and that crazy cat.
    Least Favorite: The stories are just typical Goosebumps fare.

Here's what I have lined up next: Chrono Crusade, Ai Yori Aoshi & maybe more Ghost Stories.

I also have for sale the R3 Chrono Crusade ep 1-12 box if anyone is interested. I just dont know what Im going to do with a Korean R3 DVD like that when I dont watch subs anyway.

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    Well, I finally got around to picking up disc 2 of Gankutsuou. Great stuff. I've actually started reading "The Count Of Monte Cristo" to see how close the storyline is following the book. (Course, I probably have to get halfway through the book to find this out...)

I've also started my wife on Fruits Basket the other day, when I suggested to her sister's boyfriend that it might be a good followup to Azumanga Daioh. I personally have yet to watch the whole thing, so it will be an experience on both of our parts.

Jason

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I decided to dust off some old fansubs I had of Full Metal Alchemist - I watched the last 4 episodes. I left off at episode 47.

The series gets a big fat "meh" from me. Started great, ended in a jumbled mess. I just wanted to get it off my plate so I can watch the OVA.

This series could have been great, but maybe the fansubs were below par? I may have to rent a disc or two to see how the official subs fare. Oh wait - volume 10 isn't even out yet in region 1 (up to episode 40 I think). Geez, talk about a horridly slow release schedule...I watched the fansubs more than two freaking years ago!

9. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
  10. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

I haven't posted here in forever it seems, not like I posted much before. I've been watching GitS SAC 2nd gig lately, while still holding off on watching Samurai 7 for some reason (I have all the disks up through 6, just haven't found myself jumping into that series so much yet). SAC 2nd gig disk 5 had that cliff hanger ending that just draws you in, and just when it gets really good, you have to wait for the next disk... I can't wait for disk 6 now. 2 months is too long [​IMG]

I've also been watching Naruto on CN, but may hold off for the unedited box sets as they come out. I'm surprised I enjoy Naruto as much as I do, I thought it was going to be a DBZ clone of some sort. Rock Lee is awesome!

I finished up Planetes a couple months ago, that series was really good. I enjoyed the characters, and the story worked well. The story didn't quite turn out the way I thought, but overall it ended the way I thought it would, for the most part. I've fallen hopelessly behind on Ippo, so I'll need to bum those off of a friend to catch up.

A

11. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Not really anything new to report on my end, although I did order some more disks:

Tenjho Tenge vol. 7
    Fruits Basket boxed set
    Stratos 4 boxed set
    Starship Operators vols 1-3
    Tenchi Muyo! OVA 3 vol. 1

I was going to order season three (vols. 19-27) of Inu Yasha, plus TT vol. 7, but for some reason DDD seems to be having some problems keeping the disks in stock.

John.

12. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

I need some help choosing my next anime

I am still a relative newbie to anime. To help people determine what I like and what I don't, here is a list of what I have seen, broken up into categories of Loved, Liked, Not So Much for TV and movies.

TV/OVA:

Loved: Berserk, Escaflowne, Berserk, Cowboy Beebop, Record of Lodoss War, Bastard

Liked: Blue Seed, Kenshin TV, Kenshin Trust/Betrayal, Gasaraki, Star Blazers (seasons 1 and 2), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

Not So Much: Serial Experiments Lain, Robotech - The Macross Saga

Movies:

Loved: Cowboy Bebop - The Movie, Castle of Cagliostro, Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust

Liked: Akira, Mobile Suit Gundam 1, 2 and 3, Howls Moving Castle, Perfect Blue, Vampire Hunter D, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke

Not So Much: Ghost in the Shell

The following is a list of what I want to see. Please let me know if these would be appropriate for me based on my tastes listed above, or mention any others that you would like:

Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars 1 and 2
    Blue Gender
    Ninja Scroll
    Metropolis
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes (yes I know this is not available in the US)

Andy

13. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I see you really enjoyed Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. That being the case, I think you will enjoy Ninja Scroll. It's not quite as nice looking as Bloodlust, but it is a bit older. I have the TV series in my collection but I have not watched it so I can't comment on that.

14. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Andy:

Any of the other Studio Ghibli films will probably do. Some other suggestions:

Millennium Actress
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Paranoia Agent (sense a Satoshi Kon pattern? [​IMG])
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
    Samurai Champloo

Any of the series you suggested will do, too. CotS/BotS/BotS II will probably get you the most mileage.

John.

15. James D

James D Second Unit

Where did you buy your new discs? DeepDiscountDVD just started their 20% off sale today and you can get the Fruits Basket set for $48. Maybe there's time to cancel your order if you paid more for it.[​IMG] BTW, thanks for the recommendation of Chobits. I got it yesterday and I've already tore through the first ten episodes.

16. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Thanks for the responses and recommendations everyone!

Andy

17. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

As someone who wasn't a big fan of Ghost in the Shell the movie, I recommend checking out Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I've enjoyed the 2 series a great deal more than the movies. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's just the extra time they have to tell the story. 13 hours compared to 2 is a pretty big difference, and it does enable you to follow the story lines/character development better.

And for kicks, check out Fighting Spirit, I think that's a series everyone should check out. At least through the first couple episodes of disk 2 [​IMG]

A

18. Jesse Brickzin

Jesse Brickzin Stunt Coordinator

Andy_Bu - I need some help choosing my next anime

Loved: Berserk, Escaflowne, Berserk, Cowboy Beebop, Record of Lodoss War,

I would go with Gungrave , The Twelve Kingdoms, Outlaw Star, Kaze No Yojimbo

Liked: Blue Seed, Kenshin TV, Kenshin Trust/Betrayal, Gasaraki, Star Blazers (seasons 1 and 2), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

Rahxephon, Otogi Zoshi (Especially the Heian Story Arc), Crest/Banner of the stars, Age of Chaos

Movies: Loved: Cowboy Bebop - The Movie, Castle of Cagliostro, Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust

Liked: Akira, Mobile Suit Gundam 1, 2 and 3, Howls Moving Castle, Perfect Blue, Vampire Hunter D, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke

Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, all the other Studio Ghibli Titles you haven't seen

The following is a list of what I want to see. Please let me know if these would be appropriate for me based on my tastes listed above, or mention any others that you would like:
    Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars 1 and 2 Loved them All
    Blue Gender Really cool, sort of like Starship Troopers but better [​IMG]
    Ninja Scroll Haven't seen
    Metropolis Good
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes (yes I know this is not available in the US) Haven't Seen

19. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

James:

I did order them from DDD, but the order has already shipped. No big deal.

Jesse:

Ah, someone else who has actually seen Kaze no Yojimbo. Pretty good stuff. I've been generally pleased with the anime interpretations of Kurosawa's movies, although I'm not sure how many more are really viable. I wouldn't mind seeing series based around Ran or Throne of Blood, though [​IMG].

John.

20. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I picked up the whole Patlabor set from DDD, all 3 DVD boxes of the TV series, the OVA and the New Series- all for ~$75. The only thing I didn't purchase were the 3 Patlabor Movies, which would have added $60 more.