1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Watched Karas a couple of nights ago. It is one of those animes that seems to start in the middle. Not a lot of character introduction. It just jumps in and starts going full bore. Some wild action sequences in it though. It was liking watching The Batman jacked up on speed. Fairly good use of CGI. It is interesting how Japanese animators are incorporating CG without losing the traditional anime look. It sure ended dumb, though. It was like they decided, "Okay. That's enough. We're done for the night". I hope they actually finish it with a follow-up movie. Doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, but has some kick-ass action set pieces. Worth a rental anyways.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Finished Planetes (in hidef!). What a great great show. Perhaps one of the best scifi series I've seen. This show has heart and soul. I totally agree with you John - more people need to see this!

Chobits better than Fruits Basket? Yikes - hard to believe! But it definitely is very popular at the anime cons - nothing like seeing babes in Chobit outfits! What, is there supposed to be a plot? [​IMG]

3. James D

James D Second Unit

There are a couple of new Geneon shows coming out that I'm thinking about starting and wanted some opinions before I take the plunge. Any comments on Kamichu! and/or Gun Sword would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[​IMG]

4. James D

James D Second Unit

You and Max are confused.[​IMG] I was thinking about picking up Chobits and asked how it compared to Azumanga Daioh, SuperGALS! and Fruits Basket. JohnAD responded that it's better than SuperGALS! and Azumanga Daioh. He never saw Fruits Basket which, as all of us Fruits Basket fans know, is a sin.[​IMG]

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Oh, now that I re-read, you're right. He says it's better but then later clarifies that he hasn't seen Fruits Basket.

Personally I like Azumanga better though, as I find the characters more amusing, but oh well [​IMG]

BTW not watching Fruits Basket is an anime-watcher sin. I thought JohnAD watched everything, and skipping a top-tier title like Fruits Basket is just plain wrong.

6. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Dave:

With the baby on the way, I haven't had much extra cash to throw at anime (along with picking up the new TV - my 'other' new baby [​IMG]). For the record, Chobits is one of my 'A' titles, and IMHO a lot deeper than people give it credit. I'll reserve judgment on Fruits Basket until I see it.

BTW, good to see you posting again [​IMG].

All:

I finished up Midori Days with volume three last night. We sort of get an explanation of how Midori gets on Seiji's hand:

It's sort of a Sleeping Beauty/Snow White thing. I thought it interesting that in a flashback scene (in episode 10, IIRC) that Midori was reading a copy of a Japanese version of the Snow White story.

We get a fine resolution at the end, and based on the character growth in the story, it's pretty believeable. All in all, a pretty light but fun series. 'B' - recommended.

John.

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Still playing with my THX AC-3 LaserDisc box set of Tenchi Muyo. It's very nice. I notice that each disc has a different Dolby Digital intro — so far I've noticed the "Ancient Egypt" one and the "Helicopter/Movie Theatre". I'm guessing they all have names ; is there a list somewhere?

8. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

9. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

W00T! It's Woo!

Long time, no see [​IMG].

As I said, I've got Fruits Basket on my list of series to get, but July would probably be the earliest I can get to it. I need to redo my 'on deck' list.

I watched a couple of disks this weekend. First was Howl's Moving Castle. It was pretty darn good. My wife commented on how the magic+steam tech theme seems to be pretty common in Ghibli series. It was a fun ride, although i think I still like Princess Mononoke better. I also watched the first disk (eps. 1-7) of the Saikano set. That was certainly a heaping platter of sadness. It wasn't quite as harsh as Now and Then, Here and There or Grave of the Fireflies, but it's up there. I am looking forward to watching the last six episodes this week.

John.

10. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Good to see everyone here. new and old.

Saikano is pretty heavy indeed. For me though the saddest series ranking goes to Now and Then, Here and There for a variety of reasons.

One funny thing is that the manga of Fruits Basket will be more expensive than the anime (as it has more volumes and is not yet done here nor in Japan). For those of you with less time, I'd recommend the manga - not because the anime is better/worse/etc but manga requires no equipment to read and enjoy.

11. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I forgot to mention that Saikano was not anamorphic. Grrr...[​IMG].

John.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey Woo! Thanks for steering me towards Fighting Spirit way back when.

Stupid Zip.ca isn't sending me any more Fighting Spirit discs - now they are digging into my least-wanted discs in my queue. Grrrrr.

I've finished up to Volume 6. I hope to resume the series soon - it's been almost 2 months!

Anyways, saw episode 7 of Nana (fansubbed) the other day - man, it is following the Gundam Seed model of flashbacks and repeating scenes - but done more seamlessly. Good series so far - the voice acting is perfect, the humor right on, and the artwork is very well done. If they lessen the flashbacks and continuing with the quality this may be the best shojo anime this year!

Oh yeah - the fansub is of very good quality - but I'm sure that is because the fansub groups follow the manga religiously and fill in the blanks for us!

BTW, volume 5 of Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig is out today. I still can't find reliable info on what miniatures are in the box, but I suspect at least a Tachikoma. I really hope Togusa and the Chief are in there, but I doubt it.

13. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Max:

I thought that they already did a Tachikoma.

John.

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Woo :
    Still at the same email and address? I have access to a DVD burner now, and I'm going to take a shot at making a DVD of those Super-Deformed deals, since the VCD and SVCD options seemingly didn't work for you.

15. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

ChristopherDAC:

You can send it to a different address (email is still the same), actually - am at different place. I'll email you the address as soon as I can.

Max:

Heh - the series is hilarious, and all the fights just get better and better. Takamura-san is positively wicked, evil, etc etc. :-D

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

JohnAD, they did - and there is another! A black one. I actually would have preferred another blue one - you can't have enough of them!

I picked up my copy of volume 5 Gits:SAC 2nd Gig. Comes with Togusa and the black Tachikoma. FAR FAR better than a crappy t-shirt sized for 300 pound Otakus!

17. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Max:

Actually, the T-shirts tend to be unwearable by larger folks like myself. It would be nice if, instead of a T-shirt, put in a coupon so you could specify your size.

One of these days I'll put them all together [​IMG].

John.

18. James D

James D Second Unit

For those of you who haven't picked up Gungrave yet, now is the time. Rightstuf has just put up the complete collection of this title for only $49.99. This is not the thinpak edition. It's all 7 DVDs in their keepcases housed inside a sturdy artbox. You'll also receive free shipping.[​IMG]

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6.../66729/4/153/0

EDIT: They just put up Tenchi Muyo: Universe TV Series Box Set(1-8) for the same $49.99. This looks to be a very good week of specials on Geneon sets at Rightstuf.[​IMG]

19. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

That's not bad for Tenchi Universe. Too bad I already have it [​IMG].

John.

20. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I got through some more of my backlog this weekend:

Saikano boxed set, volume two: Another heaping platter of sadness, which, if anything, manages to be sadder than the first half of the series. This is a great series: The characters, the plot, even the way that the characters (or the viewers) never really find out why the war started, or what's really going on, except in snippets.
    PQ_wise, other than being non-anamorphic, this is something that just about veryone should watch. 'A' - Highly recommended, unless you're looking for a comedy [​IMG].

Samurai 7 volume six: Ok, so I was a little thrown by the resolution of the cliffhanger from the end of volume five. I think that the samurai bloodbath that some folks (including myself) are looking for will take place in volume seven, since the events of volume six seem to point in that direction. I don't think we're going to get a happy ending.

My Neighbor Totoro: I've been behind in getting the Studio Ghibli movies, so I picked this one up recently. I really enjoyed it. Nothing blew up, and there was no bad language beyond a few childish tantrums. I'm looking forward to watching this with my daughter in a few years. Even though the movie is a few years old, Disney's treatment was very good, and I didn't see any visual issues with the disk. If you look closely, you can tell that the original animation style is a little older in places, but you really have to look. Overall, it's the usual Studio Ghibli excellence.

John.