1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

The original movie is widescreen. My VHS copy is letterboxed and was originally released by CPM. The bars are small, so I suspect an AR of around 1.66:1. CPM's DVD is showing an aspect ratio of 1.33:1. I suspect that they have opened the mattes. I'll know soon enough, since I should be getting a copy in a couple of weeks. The Japanese Laserdisc would have been great to get. Unfortunately, I do not think it is subtitled.

Is "Toward the Terra" a true pan and scan or is the AR 1.33:1 with some faux letterboxing done to create an illusion of widescreen? I haven't seen that particular film. I believe "Venus Wars" was letterboxed on the VHS version as well.

2. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Max:

It's good to see someone else enjoying Planetes. It is definitely an underrated series.

John.

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Theatrical anime has generally been animated full-frame with the intention of projecting matted, and 1.66:1 seems to be the most common ratio for this — the Kimagure Orange Road movie and Project A-ko both fit the description. Venus Wars is a little wider, but I suspect that it was hard-matted. Toward the Terra might actually be open-matte, with a few segments [not more than about a minute in all, as I recall] hard-matted ; I really don't know, as the whole thing makes no sense. The Eirin number looks to be cut off at the side, and also one of the opening credits : although the display I am viewing on does have some overscan [actually it crops the edges, but the effect is the same], that's not normal. Theatrical aperture plates vary enough that there is some allowance made for "safe title area". There were only ever a very few Japanese LaserDiscs subtitled in English, maybe five, and I'm pretty sure Night on the Galactic Railroad wasn't one. Considering Mizoguchi's habits, it would be more likely subbed in Esperanto! but I don't think so.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

Actually, it is OAR, from what I remember. Unfortunatly, it isn't anamorphic and the picture quality isn't that great.

Jason

5. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I watched volume four of Gankutsuou last night, and I was completely blown away. The first episode resolves the cliffhanger from volume three, and moves the characters onto a path from which there won't be many happy endings. We find out a number of hidden truths, including some background on Haidee. The last episode leaves us with another powerful cliffhanger. I would also say that the last episode is one of the best episodes, in any series or genre that I have seen.

John.

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Trying to finish updating my Web site so I can format my boot partition and reinstall my OS. I've been having these "blue screen of death" incidents for months now, and haven't been able to find any dead time. It'll have to be this week, though, because I'm taking a summer class beginning the 1st of June — a computer programming class! Unfortunately, each of the episodes of GEOBREEDERS has something like 20 chapters, all with ridiculous complicated names.

7. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

I accidentally saw an episode of Samurai 7 on IFC yedsterday. I expected it to be more serious than it was. Unfortunately it seems that I am not destined to be a big fan of Anime, try as I might. (I do love every Gibli film I have seen though)

8. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Stephen:

Which episode did you see? I would have trouble judging an entire series after viewing a single episode that may have been seen out of order.

All:

I watched a couple more of my new disks. On Friday, I watched Whisper of the Heart, which I hadn't seen before. It's got a lot of the standard Ghibli goodness, although I was kind of surprised at how down-to-earth it was. The main characters are all pretty believeable, and even though the ending caught me off-guard, it does make sense, in a middle-school sort of way. My only complaint is that the story does seem to take some time to unfold, and is generally very slow. If you're looking for Princess Mononoke, you won't find it here. PQ-wise, the disk looks well done, and I didn't notice any major flaws.

I also watched volume one of Midori Days. Definitely lighter fare, but enjoyable, so far. I would like to find out how Midori became Seiji's hand, so hopefully we'll find out in the episodes on volume two.

John.

9. James D

James D Second Unit

I'm on the verge of buying the Chobits set from dvdplanet for $55. How does it compare to Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket and SuperGALS!, all of which I greatly enjoyed? Thanks.[​IMG]

10. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

James:

It's better [​IMG].

John.

11. James D

James D Second Unit

John: It's better than Fruits Basket? Wow, that's a bold statement and that's all that I need to know. Sold! Thanks.[​IMG]

12. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

James:

I haven't seen Fruits Basket, but Chobits is definitely better than Azumanga Daioh and SuperGALS!. It is a very, very good series.

John.

13. James D

James D Second Unit

John:

You really must get your hands on Fruits Basket. It would place very high on my all-time top ten list. If you're not adverse to mail order clubs, you can get the entire series as enrollment selections at Columbia House. Just make sure to use C7L as your savings code(it's a much better deal than the default offer).[​IMG]

14. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

James:

CH doesn't like me very much [​IMG]. Fruits Basket is on my list of series to get, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to get to it this year. DDD has a pretty good price on it, and when they have another sale, I might be able to get it then.

John.

15. Jesse Brickzin

Jesse Brickzin Stunt Coordinator

16. StephenP

It was the episode where the group of 5 are on a boat and reach the "metal city" protected by the guardians hanging from the ceiling? Anyway I know it may not have been a good episode to judge the series, I was just disappointed by the voice acting, especially the big red guy in the full armor (a robot maybe) Just too much comedy for me.

17. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Stephen:

Have you seen the original movie by Kurosawa? Kikuchiyo (who is wonderfully played in the movie by Toshiro Mifune) is supposed to be semi-comedic, and a bit over the top. In fact, I think the Japanese VA at least does a pretty good job recreating the role. I don't know how the English VA does it, but I would suggest watching the subbed version to see if you like it better.

John.

18. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I watched Midori Days volume two last night. Still no explanation on how Midori got on Seiji's right arm, but we do get quite a bit of character growth. The third episode also has a nice bit of a twist:

Seiji wakes up to find that things have been reversed, and he's now on Midori's right hand. Although the episode turns out to be a dream sequence, it does allow the characters to have some personal growth.

I really like this series so far; it's upbeat and funny, without being too slapstick, and just enough seriousness to balance it out.

John.

19. StephenP

Yep, I love the Kurosawa movie, and that character is one of my favorites. Don't know why the translation into a big red samurai robot soured my tastes, but we all have our opinions [​IMG]

20. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Looks like I lost my board subscriptions in the changeover to the new bb software.

I don't chime in much these days but I do read the messages. No new anime here for quite some time. Nothing interesting me. But the wife keeps up on some shows - I've seen the first disc or so of of Gank...Ganketsu...that Monte Cristo show, and it seemed pretty interesting. She's a big fan of it.

But I did I hear heresy? Someone saying Chobits was better than Fruits Basket? BLASPHEMY. I'm not a big fan of the girly-situational-comedy genre, but Fruits Basket is one of my favorite shows.

Chobits - mm, OK. Situational humor. Decent story. Azamunga -amusing, but not so much story driven. Funny in a more standalone episode sort of way.

Fruits Basket is better IMO. But it's one of my top-10 anime I think (ranking in somewhere under Berserk, Crest of the Stars, etc), so hey, I'm biased.