1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Thanks John for the recommendations.

I finished up the Kenshin OVA's Trust and Betrayal.

I am sure I might be in the minority here but I actually like the TV series better. The OVA's just moved too slowly for me. That being said I am still glad I watched them.

I am starting Berserk now.

Andy

2. James D

James D Second Unit

Maybe it's the blooming of the flowers in Springtime, but I'm on a major Shoujo roll.[​IMG] I've torn through the ADV thinpacks of Azumanga Daioh and Pretear and I'm almost finished with SuperGALS!. On deck-Kaleido Star Amazing Collection. BTW, does anyone know if Region 1 will ever see a release of SuperGALS! Season 2? I'm enjoying this series much more than I thought that I would.

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Got some watching done in the last week. The 2 disc Vampire Princess Miyu was an interesting concept but didn't seem to gel and flow all that well. I kept thinking I had missed things. Like I was watching the OVA based off a TV series that had left things out.

Watched the first 5 discs of Samurai 7 and while it was really good up till where the film ends I'm not so sure about all this stuff thats happening after that point. It's also hard to digest that in all that fighting only 1 of the 7 samurai is killed. In the film 4 of them die. It's like they have made the film into the the first part of a two part story with all this Empire level stuff going on once the village battle is over. I don't think it's come off all that well.

4. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

James:

I hope so. It does give me hope that since ADV brought out season 2 of Kaleido Star, they'll do the same for Super Gals!.

Andrew:

I disagree, since they left out quite a bit of the original movie, including the raid on the bandits' camp to rescue Rikichi's wife where they lost the first of the samurai. I think the writers changed part of the middle story to the end, and I think we'll see some more samurai go down.

John.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey Andrew - can you spoilerize your Samurai 7 comment? You just spoiled both the movie and the series for me! ARrrggggh...!!

(I was gonna say something about Samurai Champloo as I just finished the series last night - but now I am in too much shock to do so)

6. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Max:

Pretty good ending, eh?

John.

7. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I watched volume nine of Fullmetal Alchemist yesterday. The four episodes were pretty well done, with the conclusion of one part of the story centering on a certain homunculus, and the continuation of the part relating to others. PQ-wise, there wasn't anything worse than some minor artifacts.

John.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Wow it is dead in here!

I liked the Samurai Champloo ending. It wasn't shocking - that was in reference to Seven Samurai [​IMG] , but it did end differently from the typical genre ending. If you watch enough samurai shows you'll know what I mean. [​IMG]

Oh yeah - the last episode on volume 3 of Girls Bravo crossed the line. Yes, THAT line. [​IMG]

(Is it me, or did the transfer for Girls Bravo improved by an order of magnitude in volume 3? The previous 2 volumes had horrible dot crawl artifacts.)

I borrowed Azumanga Daioh the other day - woohoo girly anime without a point! [​IMG]

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Here is my latest effort to keep this floating-carcass of a thread afloat: [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've watched the first 6 episodes of Azumanga Daioh. Pretty darned funny - I never thought I'd enjoy schoolgirl anime as much as I have!

I'm on volume 4 of Girls Bravo as well - the fan service never ends! The humor is getting rather old though - it doesn't have the charm of Azumanga Daioh, and is starting to get repetitive in some of the gags. Hopefully things pick up soon. Maybe tentacle action will come back!

10. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Max:

Non-hentai tentacle action? W00T!

Honestly, I 'm wondering why everyone decided to jump ship. I doubt that people have lost interest in anime (except for maybe Tony), but even with busy non-anime lives, one would think that a few more people would be posting. On the flip side, I can honestly say that the upcoming birth of my first child has thrown my priorities a curve. I've still got a few months to complete my DVD goals for this year, but with all of the other things vying for my free cash and free time, it's been tough.

John.

11. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    I just finished my final examinations for the semester. Ugh — take-home finals… [​IMG] Now on to watching the rest of my backlog! OK, so I try not to have one, but I haven't had time to watch all of this Tenchi boxset I bought.

12. James D

James D Second Unit

Keep watching Azumanga-it's a great show. You might want to try SuperGALS!. I really dug that show and you can get the Ironclad Collection at Best Buy for $26.99. There's a new series that's from the producers of Azumanga that I'm going to give a shot. It's called Nanaka 6/17 and the first disc comes out in a couple of weeks. Has anyone seen this show yet? I've been on a major shoujo roll lately and I'm loving it. I'm currently at the halfway point of Fruits Basket and I've got Kaleido Star on deck.[​IMG]

13. MichaelSMI

MichaelSMI Extra

Hi Guys,

Ive just watched crest of the stars and really enjoyed it. I see there is a sequel series - banner of the stars (which doesnt seem to be available here in AUS).

I did some looking on DDD and Bandai - and it seems there is a 'anime legends complete collection' due out this month - anyone know if that is all the episodes? ie. the whole banner of the stars series (1,2 and 3) ? Im just a bit confused as there looks like the same discs for different prices on DDD ?!

Cheers,
    Michael

14. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Michael:

Banner of the Stars and BOTS II follow, and there has been word that a third BOTS series is in the works (IIRC). I checked out DDD (after ordering some disks [​IMG] ), and it looks like the first one is a misprint or something, since it's only 325 minutes long. They did have both of the BOTS series as boxed sets, though.

John.

15. MichaelSMI

MichaelSMI Extra

Thanks John.

On a side note - I am bitterly dissapointed with the R4 Final Fantasy VII - it is a horrible horrible transfer - im hoping it can be 'fixed' (with some filters and PC magic). Especially after just watching Appleseed which was a beutiful transfer (and I really enjoyed the content too [​IMG]

FF VII: It looks interlaced to begin with and seems to have undergone a very very rough NTSC-PAL conversion with blended fields and very juddery motion especially on pans- there is a lot of fast motion and it just turns to blur. Still scenes (or those with little movement) look fantastic which make me wonder why so much effort went into production only to be ruined (and it is ruined) in the transfer.

Cheers,
    Michael

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Does anyone know whether "A Night on the Galactic Railroad" was ever released on LaserDisc? Is there anyone who has a copy that is willing to sell it if was released? If not then I am going to have buy VHS deck in order to keep watching my VHS copy. I wish that damn CPM would have done a DVD release of this film.

17. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Edwin:

You might want to try here.

All:

I watched a couple of my new disks this weekend. Animation Runner Kuromi 2 was as good as the original. It was funny, and full of energy. The plot was pretty much a continuation of the original's, and if you liked the original, you'll like this. PQ-wise, it's pretty good, although there's a section at the beginning where the original story is summarized that looks like a jaggy videorecording, but that's intentional. 'B' - recommended. I also watched volume six of Tenjho Tenge. The plot appears to be winding down towards the end, but the last episode is another back-story episode. I think the last two disks will make or break this series for me.

John.

18. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I just finished episode 6 of the new Nana anime this weekend. Very good anime so far, but was very disappointed that episode 6 is practically a rerun of the 1st episode - what the hell were they thinking?

I've read a few volumes of the Nana manga, and it stays true to the manga's spirit and the artwork is virtually identical. This may be the best anime currently airing in Japan right now - if you are into Shoujo. [​IMG] :p

I'm more than halfway into Planetes - the show grows on you. I really like it.

I'm way behind watching Ergo Proxy though - there is just too much good stuff to watch now. [​IMG]

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

John AD

Thanks for the link. I can't figure it. I originally went to Amazon.com but the search kept coming up empty. I guess that "damn" CPM did make a DVD. [​IMG]
    Too bad it isn't OAR. I bought one anyway, because I doubt there will be any more releases of this film any time soon.

20. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    They letterboxed A-ko and The Venus Wars on LaserDisc, but I have long suspected some of their releases to be open-matte, e.g. Gall Force : Eternal Story. At least it's not the Right Stuf edition of Toward the Terra, which is pan-&-scan except for a few brief segments of letterboxing. AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

The Japanese LaserDisc edition of Night on the Galactic Railroad, PILA-7058, is reported [LDDb] as widescreen, but I haven't seen it. There is no report of a CPM release, although I wouldn't necessarily know.