What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Michael, you might be able to polish the scratch out. I use a Novus Plastic Polish kit to fix up scratched DVDs. You'll have to Google it - I couldn't find the official website - there are millions of resellers out there! :eek:

I finished volume 4 of Fighting Spirit. Fun stuff!

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
My copy of Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig vol. 4 SE finally arrived today. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch it tomorrow.

John.

MichaelSMI

Grip
I wish they'd release things quicker over here (sigh :)

I was going to pace myself with GITS 2ng gig v2 but ended up watching most of it all at once! - now I have to wait another month or so... oh god, i just checked.. not out until 21st JUNE :frowning:

Cheers,
Michael

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
On the other hand, considering the stereotypical Australian attitude toward the Japanese [making a sport of knocking down Japanese tourists, and so forth], I would never have imagined that one could make any money at all by selling "Japanese cultural goods" such as anime in the "Region 4" market. That they're not released quickly does not strike me as at all strange.

Of the few PAL anime LaserDiscs, most were released in France, and none that I can find in Australia.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor

Stereotypical implies common knowledge. I never once heard of that or witnessed it in the 12 years I spent in Australia. Places like Sydney are large multi-cultural hubs with significant Asian populations. I'd be surprised if you couldn't make money selling Japenese cultural goods.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I watched Ghost in the Shell:SAC 2nd Gig volume four SE last night. The stories were pretty good, including some background on a couple of the lesser main characters. The PQ wasn't nearly so bad as Max stated, at least on my setup, but there was some noticeable EE, and you could certainly find it if you looked for it, but I didn't find it distracting. I would call it good, but not great. I didn't notice any issues with the progressive scan, so the ol' Faroudja came through again. Unfortunately, I think it will be some time before large-screen TVs with progressive scan become standard setups, so I think that we'll probably continue to see PQ issues in standard DVDs as they focus on making the PQ look best for their core market.

John.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
My great big honking shipping box arrived today. Whoopee! Oh joy, oh bliss.

Of course the biggest thing in it is something I already have, Tenchi-Muyo Ryou-Ohki, but this is one of the rare double-dips I allow myself: the Dolby Digital AC-3 5.1 THX remastered boxset! Yummy.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Watched the first act of GEOBREEDERS: FILE-X "Get Back the Kitty". Looks like fun!

Note that it is described on the packaging [of all 3 parts] as "Geobreeders The Movie", and also in the TV promo spots at the end of the LaserDisc. The male lead backs into a billboard for this "movie" during the programme… Wishful thinking?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Yes, it is a strange title. It seems to be your usual non-sequitur manga name. The actual plot seems to involve a supernatural Pinkerton agency which is involved with supressing a crime wave perpetrated by shapeshifting cats.

Okay, so it's a weird plot too! ;)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Two completely different questions for the group.

1) I have completed watching Season 1 and Season 2 of Kenshin. I enjoyed both (Season 2 more than Season 1). I also have The Trust, Betrayal and Reflection OVA's. I know that Trust and Betrayal happen before Season 1's time frame. However, will I need to watch Season 3 to fully understand/enjoy Reflection, which as I understand occurs after Season 3?

I only ask because I have read that Season 3 is much weaker than Seasons 1 or 2

2) I really want to watch Legend of The Galactic Heroes. However, I can't find these discs in English anywhere but from HK which obviously screams boot leg. Is this something I should just be patient on or are the boot legs the only likely source of a full set of English subtitles anywhere in the near future?

Andy

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
As I understand it, the rights holders for Legend of Galactic Heroes have their own ideas about how things should be done. The series was originally marketed on a subscription basis in Japan, and I think the same may be true of the Japanese DVD release. In any case, my impression is that they have stated their intention not to license it out to anyone for North American release — apparently they want to do it themselves, but on terms that virtually guarantee that nobody will buy. Just my confused recollection.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I'd never say never, but there hasn't been any movement on that front. Back in 2000, there was a concerted effort to try to get americans interested in LoGH. Also, there was an effort to try to get preorders for a R1 set, but nothing has come of it.

Problem is the size of the show (110 episodes) and the cost.

So, yeah, the bootlegs may be your only option. That pretty much sucks.

Jason

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Yah, this is what I have been following as well. My patience after so many years is starting to run out.

Even if they do finally get released, they were talking a price point of almost $2000 and there is no way I can justify that...

Thanks to all for the information.

Andy

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Both, really. I personally wouldn't do it because I don't want people who had nothing to do with the show making money.

At the same time, it is tough when things aren't available in a format you can watch, so the temptation is there.

Jason

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Andy:

Both. However, IIRC, the HK Legend of the Galactic Heroes is legit, but can only be sold in HK, and only comes with Chinese subs. Anime on DVD had a thing going on for it a couple of years ago, but the fact that you had to commit the $2000 up front sort of killed any chance of it for me. The release would have had everything (series, OVAs, movies, etc.), which if you could buy it piece-meal would be fine, but not all at once. Chalk it up to poor understanding of the R1 market.

As for RK, the third season is not a total loss, just weaker than seasons one or two. It's basically a bunch of mini-arcs.

John.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks