1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Capsule reviews of some LDs I have recently received & watched.

Rayearth
    CLAMP blows up Tokyo. Schoolgirl heroines battle evil wizards. Pretty, pretty artwork.

Landlock
    This isn't as bad as it might be, considering that The Anime Encyclopedia calls the producers "criminals". It's a 1996 production, but looks several years older, & although the producers tout the involvement of Masamune Shirow, it only looks like his work for a few moments here & there -- just pencil-shading the side of a nose isn't enough, guys. The story & visuals are something of an incoherent mess. On the other hand, it's not bad-looking even if it isn't Shirow, & it has its fun points. Not recommended, but it won't harm you.

KO Century Beast Warriors
    Bizarre, zany fantasy featuring "beasts" (people who take on anthropomorphic-animal characteristics when excited), humans (some with super powers) "from beyond the end of the world", a tiny demon whose objective is to eat everyone, and MAD SCIENCE. Wacky fun.

Battle Athletess Dai Un Do Kai
    In the field of mashups of girls'-school/sports anime with Ender's Game, give me Gunbuster any day. This is especially strange to watch right now because of watching the rather surreal Peking Olympics. Oh, watch out for a totally unsuitable use of the Saturn 5 rocket in an early scene.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Nozomi Witches

A perfect little gem of a high-school sports anime, three episodes of about 45 minutes. The sport in this case is boxing, not witchcraft (see Mahoutsukai Tai for the latter). Look out for the announcers in the last episode, who also show up (slightly more caricatured) in the ladies' pro-wrestling anime Wanna-Be's. These are a couple of real Japanese sports announcers, well-known at least at the time.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey, looks like Bandai announced the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex complete series, for release in Japan, August 25th, 2009 (I think that's the date).

It includes TrueHD japanese soundtrack, english DD51 soundtrack. However, I did not see anything other than Japanese subtitles on their website.

MSRP looks to be 21,000 yen.

BTW, finished watching the first season of Skip Beat. Pretty decent shojo!

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    I've recently received a shipment of LDs containing Miyazaki titles. So far I've watched Nausicaa & Kiki's Delivery Service. I'm enjoying it all very much.

6. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

Ouch indeed! That's over $200! I like the show but I don't know that I like it that much.

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Well, it's coming on Father's Day again — only 7 posts in the whole past year? Yeesh! I've obtained what is known, in certain circles, as a "genlock" (technically speaking it's a scan converter & genlocking overlay generator), & have succesfully used it to overlay subtitles from a prepared script onto live video : in other words, real-time fansubbing. This promises to make my showings that much the more interesting.

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Lately, I've been experimenting with an unusual form of fan-subbing. I got a genlock cheaply off eBay, & using timed script files I've found on the Net, I have been overlaying subtitles onto live video while playing back my Japanese LaserDiscs. It's somewhat helpful to me, but the main advantage is that it makes the programmes more accessible to other people, so I can (for example) have people over for a showing.

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

The only anime I have seen recently is Oshii's "Sky Crawlers". It is typical example of his filmmaking. The film is quite slow moving, and it seems like a lot of the time not much is happening. Aerial sequences are CGI and are quite well done: although, they are also fairly short. I thought it was a good film, but I'm partial to his stuff anyway. There is a scene that takes place in restaurant. During the scene, there is a portrait, depicting several men, hanging on the wall behind one of the characters. I'm curious whether anyone would know whether the picture was an injoke and was basically depicting some of the crew who worked on the film.

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Ouch indeed! That's over $200! I like the show but I don't know that I like it that much.
    The Japanese are used to spending that much for anime. Not that we'd stand for it over here on Western shores, and the studios know it. At that price they'd better provide an English sub and a 1080p picture and lossless audio track as well (which of course it does not). At least there is hope that a US release is possible, so I will wait for one.

11. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I have been trying to find Disc 5 of Blood + and I can't find any release date information. Disc 4 was released earlier this year. I dont want to go back and have to buy the box set when i only need a couple of discs to finish part 1 off. Anyone know why the stopped releasing them as single discs?

12. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Night on the Galactic Railroad
    Man, this has got to be one of the strangest things I've ever watched, & that covers more than you might think. Just the fact that all the on-screen text is in Esperanto, whereas the dialogue is in Japanese, would be disconcerting enough. (Miyazawa Kenji, author of the original book, was a leading Esperanto proponent in Japan.) Add to that a truly strange mixture of astrological & religious imagery, the fact that some but not all of the characters are animated cats (although none of them seems to notice the difference), & some elements I just couldn't make heads or tails of, & you have a recipe for total disorientation.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Urusei Yatsura movie 2 Beautiful Dreamer : This film is a head trip. It's directed by Mamoru Oshii, & some may note similarities to the second Ghost in the Shell movie. Anyway, it's good. Recommended, even for those unfamiliar with the series.

MD Geist : Total drek. If you want to watch desert armoured warfare with motorcycles, try The Venus Wars ; in a post-apocalyptic setting, Genesis Surviver Gaiarth (which is actually spelled that way). Both of those are quite rewarding to watch. This isn't.

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    What can I say about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? It lives up to its name. Good viewing for Hallowe'en.