What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I started watching Yumeria. So far its a harem show with a few little twists...not many, but a few. The only character I dislike is Mone mostly because all she does is repeat her name over and over. The third ep has some ridiculous moments though....

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten through volume three of Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid. I'm really enjoying it. While the comedy of FUMOFFU was pretty good, it totally left out the reason why Sousuke is guarding Kaname in the first place. I will be ordering the final volume in the next couple of days.

Oh, Volume one of Season Two of Ah My Goddess! TV comes out in a week and a half! W00T!

John.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Finished watching FMA and was pleased with how it wrapped up. I also watched the movie and it wasn't too bad either. it took a friend to talk me into watching this series and I'm glad he did as it was surprisingly well written and executed.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I finished up Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid last night. Excellent series. I think I like it even better than the original. The fourth disk includes the OVA as an extra, which was an added treat. 'A-', highly recommended.

I also watched volume one of Divergence Eve the other day. The character designs are typical of Toshinari Yamashita's other titles (Amazing Nurse Nanako, Burn Up W, etc.), so people who don't like giant, bouncy egg-shaped breasts should probably avoid this series. I'm not expecting a whole lot, but the episodes on the first disk were pretty reasonable.

John.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
Rumbling Hearts volume 1 - what can I say? This title has absolutely BLOWN me away. The amount of emotion and relationship tangles that are introduced in this first volume is just staggering. All the characters are likeable and the changes that take place between ep 1 and ep 5 are just mindblowing. This is NOT a series that rests on its laurels at all, it grabs you by the heart and throws you in the emotional wringer. I can't say I was expecting alot, I just knew it was a relationship kind of show but the depth and challenges that face the characters are so real. Something that you often don't see in anime in such a straightforward way. The only other anime (in my experience) that I can compare it to is Koi Kaze. If it keeps up the quality and twists that make up that initial volume, this may end up as one of my fav titles of all time. Colour me impressed.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I finished off Divergence Eve this weekend. Despite the fanservice character designs, there actually was more than a little substance to the show. I think if it weren't for the fanservice, I would have liked it just a little bit more. The follow up series, Misaki Chronicles seems a little more comedy-centric, but there was enough in Divergence Eve to at least make me interested. 'B-', but so close to a 'B' that a slight breeze could push it over :).

I also continued to work my way through season three of Inu Yasha. I plan to get at least caught up through season four this year.

John.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
Last two discs of Rumbling Hearts, which finished up the series for me. What an incredible run. Its basically a high school drama that takes the next step into life after high school and all the problems these characters are facing which are highly unusual but emotionally taxing. The ending left me feeling a little flat since it didn't resolve the relationships totally but the whole show is a real emotional rollercoaster ride that is worth taking. Very real characters and heart wrenching situations... as a life drama, its a real winner and I enjoyed watching these characters try to sort out their miserable lives. Comes recommended for anyone wanting anime that is based on reality with no fantasy, ninjas or samurais...etc.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Who controls those old San Rio flicks in North America? I know this is going to sound strange but there are two of these flicks that I wish I could get on DVD. One of them had the English title of "Ringing Bell" (not sure of the Japanese title) and the other was called "Sea Prince and the Fire Child". I would especially like to get "Ringing Bell". That flick was one existentialist "kid" flick. It was bizarre, but I got a kick out of that flick......even though the English voice actor for the lamb was enough to make you want to put out your ear drums. To me, the film could have been interpreted any number of ways.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
The Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) will be showing Satoshi Kon's Paprika, along with Tekkonkinkreet. Finally, a SIFF to be excited about again :).

John.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I dont know if anyone has the rights to either of those movies in North America currently. Its a shame too because I remember seeing Sea Prince many moons ago and it was a great animated film. I wish both of these and the two Unico movies would find a stateside DVD release. They are such classics.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, some of the Sanrio videos, mostly Hello Kitty, are marketed in the US. You can buy them at Wal-Mart. If I recall, they are ADVision's dirty secret, although the Anime Encyclopedia says that Saban picked up the Hello Kitty TV series for broadcasting in the USA. Might talk to ADV about it, since they will release anything.

ADV picked up Variable Geo, total crud, in order to keep some fans from licensing and releasing it (they had chosen it because it would probably be the cheapest thing going).

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
The Sanrio movies were totally different beasts than the Hello Kitty series. They are regarded as excellent animated movies where children's fare are concerned.

I have most of the Hello Kitty DVDs that ADV released and they are really well done. My daughter loves them and that's who they are marketed towards anyway. ADV has done a good job with them and Im glad someone brought them out. Some of the older Hello Kitty series, the one that spoofed popular movies are out by another company and were cheaply put together oon the fly. No I dont have those to comment further though.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
For anyone attending Project A-Kon this year, it's official : I will be running a Classic Anime Festival, after hours Thursday night — in other words, early in the morning of Friday the 1st of June. More information, including the schedule, is at my web site.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I tried out the first episode of Paradise Kiss.
Its just so *Weird*. The character designs are weird... the way they mix photos with the animation looks *weird*. And Im just not sure about the whole thing so far. Not what I was expecting at all. More thoughts to come as I watch more of it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Haven't posted much lately, mainly because I'm rewatching The Twelve Kingdoms with my wife. So far, she's really enjoying it, tho she's annoyed that Taiki's story was left unresoved.

I just picked up the first book last week and I've read a bit of it. So far, it is pretty good and gets more into the head of Yoko.

I also got around to watch the rest of the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. Overall, I was very pleased with it. It wrapped up some of the loose ends and puts a definite finally on the series.

Right now, I'm going retro and trying to finish up Aura Battler Dunbine.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Watched "Origins: Spirits Of The Past" the other night. Gonzo borrowing heavily from Miyazaki's bag of tricks. The animation is beautiful, which is what we expect from Gonzo. The story was less so. Personally, I thought it was worth watching.

Jason

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I gave Paradise Kiss another go.
And I absolutely *Loved* it. The animation style is highly detailed, especially on the character's faces, thats where it is the most noticeable. Not just lip flaps and occasional eyeblinks here. The lean, lanky designs seem to suit the anime well, colors are rich and vibrant but not candy colored. The world is alive awash in dark hues of blues, greens and golds dominating the pallete and it has a certain surreal feeling too. Not just the style, but the atmosphere as well. For that reason it gives off vibes of Utena yet is very different. Theres no battling or anything like that. Its simply about a girl who is so obsessed to fulfill her mothers dream of her going to a good college that she notices and knows nothing else. Shes in a rut living someone else's life. After a chance meeting with a member of a fashion label group formed by High School students, her life is suddenly changed. She debates upon the offer to become a model for their ParaKiss brand of clothes... and by doing so her entire perception of her life, what she likes and what direction she wishes to go in is all changed. How one pebble in a sea can make waves... its a fascinating slow transformation to watch. And this only from the first disc, and I havent even touched on the tangled web of relations between the characters yet.

Needless to say its fascinating, and an excellent watch thus far.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've never seen "Hello Kitty" and never want to, but the I do know about the character. I agree that the San Rio movies are different, especially "Ringing Bell". The whole Leon: The Professional meets the Animal Kingdom vibe that the film had is just kind of weird for a kid's movie. Except the film was made before Leon:TP was gleam in Besson's eye. I know it's a big stretch but I'd almost swear that Besson lifted the basic premise from the San Rio film.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I have never seen Ringing Bell but desperately want to. It just sounds so cool. I did see the Fire Prince movie back so many years ago, and enjoyed it immensely from what I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks