1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. AlannaE

AlannaE Stunt Coordinator

Alanna Evans
    Hmm it seems that nearly every scrap piece of extra money I managed to accumulate in the past six months went to anime. I bought quite a few series but have also watched quite a few. Singles are too expensive for the most part (unless its part of one of those crazy Rightstuf sales) so thinpaks and cheapie collections have ruled the day. I am *very* much looking forward to the economy sets of Twelve kingdoms and also the thinpak for Madlax this July. Those are on my MUST buy list for sure. [​IMG]

Other than that I have been cutting back in the past month or two and buying clothes instead when I am not wasting money on my kids (something I tend to do far too often).

I do rent alot of the newer stuff from Netflix once a series is completely released and looks interesting. I have recently seen Kaliedo Star: New Wings, Kamichu, and Strawberry Marshmellow (the three I can think of right now anyway) because of Netflix.

Sounds like I will skip Elfen Lied for now after all the descriptions offered here. It sounds like something I might like if I could take the blood along with it but am too squeamish right now to try and accept that aspect of the show too.

2. James D

James D Second Unit

Maybe I'm desensitized, but the gore in Elfen Lied didn't bother me one bit(I also had no problem whatsoever with Gantz). I've seen grosser scenes in a South Park episode.[​IMG] Anywho, I thought Elfen Lied was a great series and would recommend it to anyone that could handle the violence. BTW, Amazon has a great deal on the thinpak right now-$26.99.

3. MichaelSMI

MichaelSMI Extra

All this talk of Elfen Lied and Gantz is getting me in the mood for watching them again :)

Ive just finished disc 4 of Gankutsuou im finding to be very good!

Cheers,
    Michael

4. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I finished up the last two disks of Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU last night. The episodes were generally decent, although the Fumoffu episode was totally unbelievable, considering the previous episodes and the first series. The final episode made up for it, however. All-in-all, it was a pretty good way to spend a few hours. I am looking forward to picking up The Second Raid, and I hope that there are some more serious episodes. 'B' - recommended.

John.

5. James D

James D Second Unit

The Second Raid is all serious. It focuses much more on Mithril than it does on the high school comedy aspect of the show. In fact, Kaname is barely even in the first 4 episodes. There is a psychotic new villian and two mysterious sister assassins. You should enjoy this series.[​IMG]

6. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Excellent!

John.

7. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I watched volume one of Sakura Wars OVA 2 last night. Unfortunately, the third episode was totally unwatchable due to disk errors. I tried it on my other player and that one was having problems, too. I'll try and get a hold of TRSI about a replacement. The first two episodes were ok, but I wish there was more action and less theater.

John.

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Well, that's what this OVA series is, theatre. I enjoyed it, but I like slice-of-life and vignette stories.

9. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Oh, I don't mind slice-of-life stuff, it's just that the OP is rather misleading [​IMG].

John.

10. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    True. Of course, such is the nature of game tie-ins. I really like the fourth episode, especially the thugs running in terror from a teddy bear.
    That was a laugh.

11. AlannaE

AlannaE Stunt Coordinator

Alanna Evans
    Panyo Panyo DigiCharat - vol 1.
    I was expecting cuteness to the point of insipid and thats exactly what i got. The dub is hyper to the point of annoying and Princess Dejiko has a really grating voice. With that being said, these are really simple stories (even moreso than Galaxy Angel) told in short bursts with alot of kinetic goofiness to go along with it. Cute, but overly so. My daughter did enjoy the show though so we'll be watching the rest of it. Not much else to say.

We watched some nonanime Blu Ray discs (Happy Feet, Open Season, the Wild) and they are absolutely mindblowing. I was not expecting the jump from DVD to HD to be that huge, but its enormous. Especially when comparing a Blu Ray to a DVD. The detail is staggering, even more so in these CGI movies. Incredible.

12. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I watched volumes one and two of Blue Gender yesterday. It seems similar in theme to Genesis Climber Mospaeda, i.e., aliens invade the Earth, humans escape the Earth, humans try and retake the Earth. The aliens (Blue), are shown to be totally inhuman, which is at the same time startling and satisfying.

John.

13. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I finished up four series this weekend:

Blue Gender: My initial reaction was correct, and this series really is a lot like Genesis Climber Mospaeda. There was a lot of character development in the two leads, and Merlene's growing humanity ends up matching Yuji's loss of humanity. This works on several levels. Marlene's 'rescue' of Yuji from the dehumanizing combat against the blue also parallels her rescue of him from the sleeper center.
    I also watched Blue Gender: The Warrior, which came with the set. As might be expected, it's about 75% recycled content, with some story changes. It's only an hour and a half, so it was worth watching once to see the differences between it and the series, but not worth picking up on its own. 'B' (series), recommended.

Elfen Lied: For all the blood and nudity (and there was plenty of both), this series had a compelling story. There was a also a heaping spoonfull of sadness, so this is not a show to cheer yourself up with. I found the characters to be believeable and generally compelling. 'B+' - recommended.

Sakura Wars OVA 2: As I noted in a previous conversation on this thread, the OP animation for this series is really misleading. There are only a few action scenes, and most episodes are 'slice-of-life' type stories. If you liked the first OVA, you'll probably like this one, but maybe not as much. I'm looking forward to picking up the TV series, which hopefully will restore some of the action. 'B-'.

Stratos 4 OVA: Return to Base: This disk was a delightful little capper to my weekend DVD frenzy. It follows the end of the TV series, and can be thought of two more episodes. There is a fun little omake between the two episodes which gives some more insight into The Admiral's feline psychology. If you liked the TV series, you'll like the OVA. If you haven't seen it, watch the TV series first, since it assumes that you know the story. 'B', recommended for fans of the TV series.

John.

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    I found the bit players and backgrounds in the Sakura Wars OVA particularly enjoyable, such as the Poofty Mafia (you know the guys I mean) and the kami-shibai artist. My impression is that, since the spinoffs (including live action videos and audio dramas, &c.) were made for fans of the games, they don't incorporate much "action" — the Anime Encyclopedia entry suggests that the TV show, the other OVAs, and the movies are along the same lines as this one. I don't play video games, but I found what I have seen of the animation fun enough on its own.

15. Richard N

Richard N Extra

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the new film Tekkon Kinkreet, from studio 4c is going to be showing at the MOMA in nyc starting april 25. I don't know if anyone here has seen Mind Game, but it was also by studio 4c and it was incredible. The trailer for Tekkon is up at youtube, just search tekkon kinkreet. Just wanted to give a heads up.

16. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    Is anybody here going to Project: A-Kon 18 in Dallas, the first weekend of June? I'm going to be volunteering, showing videos as I did last year, and I want to use my LD collection to show classic, obscure, and overlooked programmes, probably in the middle of the night. So, I have a few questions I'd like to pose. First, who likes the idea enough to come ("would come if I were coming to the con" is good enough)? Second, are there any suggestions as to what I should show? Third, does anyone know of a resource where I can find what is and isn't available in the US? For example, I understand the Giant Robo omake episodes have now been released here, so I'm less likely to show them. I'd like to know about things like Gekigangar 3 (the Nadesico omake) and Cowboy Bebop Session 0 — I know I have formerly-released but out-of-print titles such as The Ultimate Teacher and even Kimagure Orange Road. There are some things I'm thinking of buying, for my own purposes, and I'd like to check whether they would make a good addition to my schedule.

17. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I've gotten through a few more anime disks in the last few days:

Inu Yasha vols. 20-22: More of the same IY stuff. Some decent action, more bad-guy badness.

Gilgamesh volume one: I found the first volume to be rather interesting. The visual style is very different from the usual anime offering, which I appreciate. I'm looking forward to watching more of this series.

John.

18. Richard N

Richard N Extra

Can anyone here recommend Le Chevalier D'eon? I've been curious about this anime for a while, but a bit hesitant. I was thinking of netflixing but I don't wanna waste any time on it if it's only average. Thanks

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

I saw the first three episodes and thought it was pretty good so far.

AICN has a review of the second volumn and it sounds like it continues to be good.

Jason

20. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

I'm through volume four of Gilgamesh. I'm still enjoying the series, including the destruction of The Settlement, A.K.A. Tokyo.
    I'll be adding the last two volumes to my purchase list.

John.