What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yeah, they do a pretty good job of mixing up the silly and the serious, and there are definitely some pretty heavy moments in there. This is the series that got me back into anime after a long break.

Course, after a while, all the Tamahome - Miaka melodrama gets a bit tiresome and the music is extremely repetitive, but it has a really good ending.

Jason

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
Fushigi Yugi was a pretty good series. I liked the first season better than the second. Somewhere during the second season I fostered an extreme hate for Tamahome and wished repeatedly that he would die. That's harsh I know...

Ceres, Celestial Legend was better overall I thought. Still waiting for my Magic Users Club to show up but it doesnt matter, my backlog probably beats all.

Heres what I have that I havent watched yet : Raxhephon, Last Exile, Gunslinger Girls, Grenadier, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J to X, Super Gals season 2, Samurai Champloo, Hack, Outlaw Star, Chrono Crusade, and Witch Hunter Robin.... whew. And the rest of Magical Meow Meow Taruto. I need too lock myself away from civilization for a week and just eat, sleep and catch up on anime.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Glad to hear it. Still watching anime dubbed into English, or have you moved on to Finnish heavy-metal videos dubbed into French {for Quebec MTV, naturally}? :)

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
Eh why would anyone dub Finnish metal into French? Most of it is in English to begin with.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That's quite a full plate Alanna! I really liked Last Exile. I couldn't quite get into Outlaw Star (or maybe I am thinking of the sequel series? I can't remember), but I only watched a couple of episodes of that.

RahXephon was okay. It kept bugging me though - to me the show felt like it was designed by committee. Evangelion, despite its flaws, at least felt like it was put together by a lone crazed madman with a tight budget!

I think Gundam Seed is a picture-perfect example of an anime made by a committee that still put out a decent show. ;)

Now what was the name of that show with undead hordes ravaging animeland? It has pretty boys that morph into zombie-killing-machines. Killing zombies, but I think they are kind of zombies too. Sakura Wars? Saiyuki X? Something like that.

TonyB? I remember that I keep forgetting who that guy is. :)

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I can add all of Cardcaptor Sakura to that list and Magic Users Club, they came in today. And Video Girl Ai which I forgot about. I have a tendancy to go crazy whenever I get into something briefly and went into an anime phase awhile ago around Christmas when I had a few extra bucks to spare and gift cards to burn.

Last Exile is the big collectors box with the figure. Its really spiffy looking. Best Buy has it on clearance for like 35 (I think it was in the 37 range but whatever) and just for visual aspect alone, it looks well worth it.

Rahxephon I have had since the thinpak came out and never watched it. Its just sitting there with the movie which I need to get around to seeing too. Havent been in a mood for a robot anime in a long time.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of RahXephon - ADV Films quietly sent me another copy of the RahXephon: The Movie disc with the corrected DD5.1 Japanese soundtrack. I checked it. I finally got the fixed one, after 8 months! I am shocked I got anything at all!

So now I have 3 copies of the movie. Hurray.

Last Exile collector's box with figure? For $35 US? Damn, that is cheap. I wonder if it will be even close to that in the Canadian Best Buy stores...

EDIT: Dammit. It is $119 CDN. No mention of a figure.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I just watched the Read Or Die OVA and it has both Japanese and English language DTS 1.5mbps tracks.

One thing I find a bit odd is that they actually used the World Trade Towers in it, so I guess the first episode was made in or beofore 9/11 happened.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans

Its showing up on Best Buy's website for $169.99 USD. This may be an "in store only" clearance that Best buy likes to do. So you might want to check the actual store if there is one near you and maybe even the kiosk in the store if there are no Last Exiles on the shelves, they might be able to order one for you for that price. The online store and whats actually in store for prices seems to vary.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Still watchin anime in whatever I can get. Mostly a tv anime watcher, so I get the dubs.

Best anime I've seen lately? Afro Samurai! Has anyone else watched that one on Spike TV? Dang it is so great. Samuel L. Jackson is amazing as BOTH the main character and his sidekick. And of course I can't forget the amazing soundtrack done by The RZA of Wu-Tang Clan fame. The best way I can describe this is Samurai Champloo but with more street cred (real well-known hip hop artists involved with the soundtrack), more violence, more sex, and SAMUEL FUCKIN L. JACKSON!

Also, I was recently introduced to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by the people at anime club, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I actually thought it was a pretty funny show based on the first few episodes, and I could see it being a good series. Does anyone else here like it?

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Started watching Wolf's Rain recently and I thought it started slow but well in the first disc. The 2nd disc built my interest until they meet up with and rescue the flower girl. The episodes after that point were tediously slow and boring. Does the show recover and find a balance?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Tony-B, my coworker commented how awesome Afro Samurai was last month - I still haven't gotten around to finding it yet. How does it compare to Samurai Champloo?

Does he get to say, "Pass me the katana that says 'Bad motherfucker' on it!"?

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
Wolfs Rain had me in its claws from the beginning. It is slow at times but does pick up the pacing after the flashback eps (which can be skipped with little consequence to enjoying and interpreting the story). it has been awhile since i have seen it however.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ug. Wolf's Rain just seemed to go nowhere for me. No thanks.

The wife and I spent a day at Katsucon on Saturday and a good time was had by all. Got to see the Music Video Contest, picked up some DVDs to fill some holes (Utena, Kare Kano) Got to seen Chevalier D'Eon, which I probably should see more of. Also saw Cat Soup, which is just plain wierd.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks