1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherDAC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Fighting Spirit uses handpainted cels? No way! I always thought they used computer graphics - but done so well you don't notice.

If this is true it is quite spectacular.

2. Kris Z.

Kris Z. Stunt Coordinator

It was one of the very last shows to use cels (it has some CGI lighting effects during the boxing matches but I think that's it), and with that fact the superb, fluid animation in the fights, with all that old-school shading and those speed-lines just becomes all the more impressive.

It ran for a while though and I haven't seen it all so it's possible they changed somewhere mid-series, I don't know, but the first third is definitely animated with cels.

3. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Wow, quiet lately. I haven't been watching any anime lately, since it's horror film month, although I'll probably start in on my massive stack from TRSI come November.

John.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    Again, pretty slow here.

Put in Vol 3 of Jubei-Chan 2 last night. More of what I expect from the show. Lots of Jiyu rejecting the eyepatch yet again and trying to avoid conflict wherever possible, but she should know that never works! A little twist at the end which gives her father more heartache.

And Bantaro and gang are getting more superfluous with every episode. They might as well not be in the show.

Jason

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I finished volume 11 of Fighting Spirit the other day. Yes! Ippo gets invited to a cute girl's house! FINALLY! [​IMG]

Oh - I think volume 11 is the start of season 3. The OP (opening) and ED (ending) music sucks! Especially the ED - yuck, it gave me a flashback to those mullet "rock" bands that were all the range in the late 80s and early 90's. *gag*

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I also finished off Gankutsuou. Pretty damned good! The ending didn't suck, the visuals in the last episode are breathtaking.

7. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Max:

Agreed. I thought the last episode wrapped things up nicely.

John.

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    The anime party over the weekend was a moderate success. As usual, I don't get through half the stuff I wanted to get through, but everyone has a good time.

I got through two discs of Last Exile, which went over fairly well. Then, while waiting for dinner to arrive, I showed the non-anime "The Return Of Captain Invincible". To wrap up the evening, I showed Interstella 5555, which also went over well.

Jason

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    The anime party over the weekend was a moderate success. As usual, I don't get through half the stuff I wanted to get through, but everyone has a good time.

I got through two discs of Last Exile, which went over fairly well. Then, while waiting for dinner to arrive, I showed the non-anime "The Return Of Captain Invincible". To wrap up the evening, I showed Interstella 5555, which also went over well.

Jason

10. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Hmmm...no messages for a week. It almost seems like we should declare this thread dead.

John.

11. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

AE5VI
    I have just got a 5.1 channel reciever into the front room, so I am beginning to watch my AC-3 anime LDs on the HDTV we got a couple of months ago. I honestly haven't been watching much, because the A-V situation was in flux, and because I've been taken up with other things. I'm going to watch an episode of Tenchi a night for the next two weeks, or at least until Sakura Wars arrives. [​IMG]

12. AlannaE

AlannaE Stunt Coordinator

Alanna Evans
    Got my rightstuf order, havent watched anything from it (yet anyway).
    Ive seen the first four volumes of Kaliedo Star : New Wings. A definite must view for anyone that liked the original KS. It just keeps getting better and better even if I question some of the plotline twists.
    Finished Strawberry Marshmellow too. A very cute sliceoflife series that is worth a peek. Some genuine laugh out loud moments occured here too. Endearing characters, but a bit too much Miyu. She is like the hyper active kid that everyone liked but still annoyed the heck out of ya at the same time. Anyone that dug Azumanga should enjoy this I would think. It has real heart and soul and isnt overly sweet. even though theres no real story arc it doesnt detract from the series and the ending is satsifying as it seems to show how the girls are going to continue on after the curtains have closed. Very nice. I recommend it.

Still have not checked out Kamichu. Not enough volumes out for me to dive in yet.. but Princess Tutu is next on my list to tackle. After rewatching Koi Kaze of course. [​IMG]

Also have seen alot of Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends lately. I know Tony used to talk about the cartoon and you know what? It really is VERY funny. My two year old likes it too which is a bonus, but I will watch it even if Im by myself and not watching her. Just cos its so darn funny.

13. James D

James D Second Unit

Three of the four volumes of Kamichu are now available with the final volume due on December 19. Do yourself a favor and Netflix it-it's one of the top releases of the year for me. I also completely agree with your assessment of Strawberry Marshmallow.

I just finished off the first four volumes of My-Hime and am eagerly awaiting volume 5. It's a good show and a decent presentation by Bandai. However, it would be nice if they encoded a time remaining counter on the disc.

I'm going to crack into my RS Geneon discs and first up will be Koi Kaze(because of your strong recommendation).[​IMG]

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    I was away for the weekend, but I was still able to catch up with R.O.D.: The TV Disc 1. So far, an interesting setup and a mystery right off the bat: where is Yomiko Readman? It definitely leaves me wanting for more.

Jason

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason
    I was away for the weekend, but I was still able to catch up with R.O.D.: The TV Disc 1. So far, an interesting setup and a mystery right off the bat: where is Yomiko Readman? It definitely leaves me wanting for more.

Jason

16. AlannaE

AlannaE Stunt Coordinator

Alanna Evans

Oh I didnt realize that Kamichu was ending in December. I thought it was a six disc series. That will be next up after Princess Tutu then. Im also curious about My-Hime...

I do love Koi Kaze even though it is quite "messed up" in some ways. Very risque subject matter but the show is so honest and down to earth that it sucks you in.

I only wish I had had more $$ to spend on the Rightstuf sale. Wonder if theres any chance of them doing something similiar again in the future?

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'm looking forward to watching Koi Kaze too - I should be able to rent it from zip.ca before the holidays.

I'm heading to Tokyo for a week and Hong Kong for two more with my gf in a couple of weeks - we're going to tour around for the food, the sights, and the otaku merchandise! [​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to putting in hundreds (thousands?) of yen into the gachapon machines. I will squeal in delight if I get a little Aramaki figure in those shiny little toy capsules!

Oh - and I must have a look at the Tokyo Tower with my own eyes, before it is destroyed in the inevitable nuclear/psychic/asteroid/tentacle blast.

As for recent anime - I finished Sol Bianca: The Legacy last week. It didn't make a lot of sense but it was still a fun ride. The PQ was atrocious though - it was so soft I was wondering if my projector was broken! What the heck happened? I suppose very early Pioneer (now Geneon) releases are like this.

Oh - and who thinks the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack would be a drop-in replacement soundtrack for Firefly?

BTW, if I find any Satoshi Urushihara artbooks in Tokyo (I will browse through Animate!, Mandarake, and other giant anime/manga stores) I will weep openly - I am 100% certain that the Hong Kong customs officials will confiscate them. And if by some miracle they make it past them, Canada Customs will liberate them from me and stamp "sex offender" on my passport. Yes, I've heard the Canada Customs horror stories...we hire the finest former concentration camp administrators and guards from all over the world! Diversity at its best!

18. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I finished Last Exile recently and it was quite enjoyable. I think the only thread they left up in the air was what happened to Deo?

The story of Gilgamesh looks interesting. How is the series?

19. James D

James D Second Unit

I thought about trying Gilgamesh last year. However, Kong Chang scared me off of it in post #856 of this very thread.

20. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Found it.