What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (2 Viewers)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
tenjou tenge anime was pretty watered down compared to the manga. Although I wouldn't read the English adapted manga by CMX because it's highly edited which is sad. And no, the manga wasn't finished and still not done yet.

As for Patlabor, I'm a bigger fan of the TV series and not the OVA. I found the OVA too bland. I think the reason why you like the OVA + Movies 1 & 2 is because all of them were written by Mamoru Oshii. Movies 1+2 were great but they also had their flaws from Oshii's writing style. Movie 3 was away from Oshii's style and a little sidestory away from the Patlabor gang but actually came out better.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Some updates on my watchings today.

Finally got around to Gungrave Vol 4. Ah, now the backstory is over with and now we can continue with the story from the beginning.

CN has started with Trinity Blood and Bleach. Ah, now I know what anime was represented on my Otakon badge. It was Trinity Blood. Ok, we have space vampires and vampires that feed on vampires...

As for Bleach, a lot of exposition in the first episode to explain things. Hopefully, things will slow down a bit and actually develop something...

Jason

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I watched volume 12 of Fullmetal Alchemist this weekend. The episodes were definitely an improvement over the last few disks' worth, and it looks like the story actually may get resolved in the final four episodes. I guess we'll find out this week :).

John.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I just preordered Witch Hunter Robin sight unseen. I couldn't resist with a price of only $30 for the entire series.

Any comments about this series from those that have seen it?

Andy

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I put in my order for 25 disks. TRSI isn't normally my first choice for DVDs, but at $4 a pop, it's a pretty good deal. I just hope that they'll get the disks to me in a timely manner. I was really put off by their handling (or lack thereof) of my last order with them.

John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I really didn't enjoy Witch Hunter Robin as much as I wanted to. That ending really ruined it for me and the series got boring and drawn out to the point of ridiculousness. First 13 episodes were monster of the week episodes...**snore**...then the last 13 episodes were the meat of the plot until the final episode where the creators seemed to drop the entire storyline and made it seem like it was all a dream or something...it was a loopy ending.

However, manglobe's new series, Ergo Proxy, is insofar MUCH better than WHR. It's more intriguing and so far no boring episodes yet. Plus it has a great intro song, and it's ending song (outro) is a song by Radiohead.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
See, I told you the Ergo Proxy intro and outro songs rocked. :)

Hmm, I'm way behind in Ergo Proxy - I'm stuck at the halfway point, where the story has reached a virtual standstill. Very slow going. I really should resume it.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
Everything I wanted from the sale at Rightstuf is "On order". How reliable are they with actually getting these in? I was going to order Snow Fairy Sugar for my daughter and get Koi Kaze for me (rented it from Netflix and its one of my favorite animes actually). I thought about doing the 25 deal but cant really find enough stuff to fill it out that I think I would like. How is the Mini Goddess series? And its disappointing that vol 1 of Bottle Fairy is eligible but not vol 2. What about Popotan?

Alot of stupid questions i know but would like to place an order sometime for something - its a great deal...

Also a question about the Fruits Basket manga (bad spoiler here)
Does anyone know which volume of the manga it is that Tohru hooks up with Kyo finally? I cant afford the whole manga series but would really love to see the volume where this occured and maybe the one before/and after to get a feel for the story. I ADORE the anime and sooooo wanted her to be with Kyo for some reason...

Thanks.. inquiring minds NEED to know.
Also I have volume 2 of Kaliedo Star: New Wings in the house from Netflix... so far I am enjoying it about as much as the first series of KS. Its more of the same I know but thats a good thing IMO. :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Alanna:

I knew you would love koi kaze when I recommended it to this forum ages ago.

Max:

What? And not find out about how Vincent is one of the many facets of a proxy that has not yet awoken to that knowledge within himself?

James D

Second Unit
RS is very reliable in filling orders that are "On Order From the Manufacturer". They actually have a real time counter when their stock starts to run low.

The Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses is a very cute show. However, the animation is on the cheap side(it's a 1998 show). If you have the Ah, My Goddess the Movie DVD, there's an episode of the Mini-Goddesses in the extras section. I haven't seen Popotan myself, but it's my understanding that it's an ecchi series with a lot of fan service and full frontal nudity.

If you're going to pull the trigger on the Geneon sale at RS, I would advise you to order sooner rather than later. Many titles are already out of stock and many other titles now have the stock counter. For example, Sugar Volume 2 currently has only 84 copies available.

Eric F

Screenwriter
FYI: Free Starz preview this weekend on Comcast, and if you're lucky enough to have it, they added Starz OnDemand HD today too. One of the first movies is Howl's Moving Castle and it looks freaking AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Studio Ghibli in HD. It's about time!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Over the weekend, I finished off Last Exile. Pretty decent series, tho some things seem to have been left unanswered.

Ok, who are the Guild, and what did they want Exile for? It looks like the Guild was odd for the sake of being odd.

I'm guessing it was Exile that was causing the Grand Stream and having it leave caused things to be "normal".

As for Fruit Baskets manga, for someone who has seen the show, and would like more without rehashing what they had seen in the manga, where should they start? I have a friend who loves the show and wants more.

Jason

Porfirio

Second Unit
I just found out that ADV has ressurected the "Guyver" series and that there is an R1 dvd coming out. Can anyone tell me more about it? Does it pick up after the last twelve episodes or is it a remake of the original? How many episodes will be included on the first dvd and will they be uncut?

Thanks in advanced.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I was considering selling off some of my anime that I never completed the series for. would i be better off doing individual auctions for the volumes or as a set? For example the ones I am looking to unload are vols 1-3 of Azumanga Diaoh, 1-5 of Kiddy Grade, 1 and 2 of Hack: Legend of the Spirits. and if anyone here is interested in these, let me know.

Saw the second volume of Kaliedo Star: New Wings... its still really awesome in my opinion... Sora is such a great inspiring character and I like the new attitude of Rosetta.

James D

Second Unit
If you're selling off these series because you don't want to pay big money to complete them, I've got good news for you. Rightstuf has volumes 4-6 of Azumanga Daioh for $6.99 each. Also, if you're willing to join Columbia House, then you can get volumes 6-8 of Kiddy Grade as enrollment selections.

If you're selling these discs off because you don't want them anymore, then please disregard the above.:)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
My opinion is, that with incomplete sets, people are going to want to buy the individual volumes to finish their incomplete sets. It's very annoying to need volume 4, as an example, and only be able to get it by buying 5 as well, which you then somehow have to get rid of. Duplicates are annoying.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I dont really want to get locked into a Columbia House type thing, I looked into it once but their "regular" prices are too much for me to have to come up with. I was really just hoping to unload some stuff to make up for some purchases I made that I didnt really have the $$$ for. In the case of Hack though, Im just not interested in finishing it... it was OK but not great and ill never watch it again.

Kiddy Grade is excellent...but...I would rather have the thinpak if there is one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks