What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Between the well-known quirks of Wikipedia and my own personal preference for print, I like to have good books on the subject, as in fact I do about any subject. This is one of the best.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

New edition eh? Great news. I missed buying the previous one, although I've still got McCarthy's Anime Movie Guide. I would like an up-to-date book on all things anime. The nets great for news and reviews but I still like leafing through books, I like the smell of books. You can't smell the internet. Thank Christ! :D

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Max:

Actually, that was like the one thing that wasn't in the show. There were no ninjas at all, although I'm sure the writers could have folded them in if they had wanted to :).

John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
ninin shinobu den ("Ninja Nonsense") is a pretty crappy show...it has its laughs and all but overall pretty boring to boot. Although I shouldn't diss it as Right Stuf has the rights to it and they did do a good job with the dubbing (which made it more tolerable to watch...don't ask me why). Gotta support Right Stuf (although they really need to learn which series to **NOT** license and waste their money on).

EricW

Senior HTF Member
hey guys. quick question: i just rented the 2 Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs and i wanted to know which comes first - "end of" of "death and rebirth" (i didn't want to read the back in case of spoilers).

thanks!

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Eric:

Death and Rebirth comes first, since it's basically a recap of the series, with a couple of new scenes. It also has the first half of EoE. EoE "replaces" the last two episodes of the series.

John.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
thanks much. so should i skip the last 2 eps of D+R or the first 2 of EoE? or is there no difference?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Eric:

They're not in episodes. Both D&R and EoE are movies. Honestly, IMHO, there is so little new content in D&R that I would only recommend it for the completist.

John.

AlannaE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alanna Evans
I watched the first two eps of Strawberry Marshmellow last night...and you know what? It was REALLY good. I instantly loved all the characters and the humor is very close to Azumanga... without some of the craziness. Very enjoyable thus far and has renewed my faith in anime.

James D

Second Unit
I just finished watching the second DVD(episodes 5-8) and while I'm still enjoying the show, the Miu character is starting to grate on my nerves. I also just finished watching the first eight episodes of My-HiME. I've enjoyed this show much more than I thought that I would. I think that I'll go ahead and get the third volume from DDD.:)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten through the first nine episodes of X Remix. Very interesting stuff. I like the whole end of the world theme.
I haven't watched the original disks, but the Japanese 5.1 track sounds great, at least on my system.

John.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I've recently picked up Basilisk volume 1 and the last disc for Samurai 7. Haven't had a chance to watch them, but I plan on taking Basilisk with me on vacation.

Still need to get volume 5 for Gankutsuou and the last disc for Tehnjo Tenge.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I read over on Anime on DVD that the My-Hime DVDs from Bandai don't work properly on HD DVD players, so I'm somewhat afraid they won't be playable in next generation players. Hopefully, Bandai will figure out what the problem is, but it may be too late for My-Hime.

The only anime release I'm looking forward to this month is the remastered Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. A true classic.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I finished off the anime in my backlog this weekend:

X Remix: Wow. I'm not sure that there is any other way to put it. Great story, lots of characters that are fleshed out pretty well, excellent pacing, and the end of the world. CLAMP goodness++. I haven't seen the original release, but the Remix release looks very good, with only some little jaggies, which are mostly in the OP titles (some red on black). The sound quality was excellent. If you haven't purchased X yet, buy it now. 'A', highly recommended.

Porco Rosso: I've had this disk sitting in my pile for some time, and just couldn't seem to fit it into my schedule, until Saturday anyway. More Ghibli goodness, and a lot of fun action.

John.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Wow...quiet lately. No anime news for me, although I do plan on making a medium-sized purchase next week.

Edit: OK, maybe not. GITS: SAC 2nd Gig Vol. 7 got pushed back to 9/26.

John.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Has been rather dead, hasn't it. I have made some updates to my Web site, if anyone cares. I found the liner notes for AnimEigo's "SuperDeformed Double Feature" tape, which is mostly put together from the contents of two LaserDiscs I had listed already, and edited the HTML, and posted it in my "omake" section.
I've got more Japanese LDs coming eventually, although I still have a few discs I haven't watched. I'm really getting behind, these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks