What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VII (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Alanna:

Just buy all anime :D. I appreciate the differences between the OVA and the movie, and it was nice to hear the original Japanese VAs. I do think Elizabeth Berkley and Kiefer Sutherland did pretty good jobs, at least enough to get me to buy it after seeing the movie on CN (the same thing happened with Tenchi Muyo!). My Armitage III stuff is coming up soon for rewatch, so I'll finally be able to compare Dual Matrix to the OVA :).

Rob:

That almost sounds like it's from G.I. Joe...

John.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
OK, I am interested in The Big O. How is this series? It looks like something that would be in line with what I like, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Akira type stuff....
Thanks!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
When I first read the words "The Big O" on an anime website, I thought it was the holy grail that girls search for all their lives. Then I realized I was stupid.

I'm still waiting on my electriciy and cable bill to show up. As soon as that happens, it's off to BB to get anime. I haven't caught up in a long while.

Eric Chang

Stunt Coordinator

Hahaha....but anyways it's a good show from what I've seen so far(entire first season, bits of season 2). You can catch episodes on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim to see if it suits your fancy.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, I actually just went and bought the box. I'll post back after I get a chance to watch some of it!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Haven't said much lately because I am still caught up on wanted anime purchases. Although I will say again, I loved Kino's Journey (I agreed to split it with Stacey). Occasionally catching an ep or two of Stacey's stuff (like I've seen quite a bit of Mahoromatic, amusing). School and work and the occasional videogame are keeping me busy.

Just posting to join the new thread!

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
No DVD watching for me at all, at least until Saturday or Sunday. I took my computer over to my new place last night, and I started taking down the home theater this morning before work. At least I have the March issue of NewType to get my anime fix :).

John.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Does anyone know where Kong has been? I could be wrong but it seems like it has been a long time since I've seen him post here. Hope everything is ok.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Rises from the earth

I'm alive (well dead-alive) in celebration of the new Dawn of the Dead movie. ;P

Hope all is well.

I'm hooked on FFXI, which is where I am most of the time powerleveling so I can hang with group to do EF's.

Need to catch up on anime.

James Kiang, do you still play?

Later y'all....

Will be back to answer those Q's you guys have of series (if I can pull myself away from FFXI).

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Hi Kong! Unfortunately, my MMO gaming is pretty limited right now. I've dropped FFXI and DAOC. I still have an active account with SWG but I think I've played literally 10 minutes in the last 3 months. Probably be dropping it soon. I'm hoping I have an email for the WoW beta waiting for me, and there is another game I may or may not be doing the beta for right now as well ;).

I've taken to ordering a lot of my anime online as I can get much better pricing, even if it does take a little longer to get to me. I may be headed to dvdplanet on 4/6 for Last Exile v.3 though, since the online pricing on that doesn't seem significantly better.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I'm currently beta testing "Lineage II" and I don't know...reminds me of the early stages of EQ. It's okay, doesn't look as pretty as FFXI or SWG. I don't know if I'll invest time into something like that.

I have no faith in WoW either since Blizzard is starting to get into the true 3D realm so I don't expect their coding to be top notch. (Most of their games are 2D or 2D w/ 3D enhancements. None were really truly 3D. Maybe Warcraft 3...but even so, it felt like 2D to me).

Back to anime, I'll be picking LEv3 as well. And starting on Kino's Journey too.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
*Finally swims over*

Uh...Hey! What's up guys and gals?! ;)

I might just have to go into lurk mode for the same reason Ted did. I just can't keep up with all of you.

Well, the new series from Shinichiro Watanabe (director of Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus), Samurai Champloo, is going to start its Japanese TV run on May 19. In case you don't know what the series is about, go on over to http://www.samuraichamploo.com where you can view the trailer and look at some photos from the show. I am really pumped up about this show, as the trailer looks very neat.

Also, the newest episode of South Park was a full-on anime parody. It's going to show at midnight eastern tonight on Comedy Central. The description of the episode from ComedyCentral.com is "After buying martial arts weapons at a local flea market, the boys are transformed into anime Japanese Warriors."

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Yes, Armitge is one of my favourite anime [Gunbuster, of course, is at the top]. Talk about good characterisation!

My collection at the moment is effectively 100% anime [test and demo discs, one French and one American animated film, and the "slush pile" --to be sold as soon as possible-- excepted]. It's about 10% import discs, a proportion fated to rise as I finish out what got released in the U.S.

Movies and One-Shots:
The Ultimate Teacher
The Venus Wars
Wanna-Be's [sic]
Project A-KO
Cosmopolice Justy
Ghost In The Shell
Hell Teacher Nube movie

Incomplete Series:
Golden Boy [not worth the effort - two copies both rotted]
Burn-Up W [#1]
Gun Smith Cats [1 & 2, 1 rotted]
Area 88 [#1]
Cyber City Oedo 808 [#1 & 3 of 3]
Giant Robo [#1 & 2]
Nadia [streamline movie edit eps 1-4]
Moldiver [odd numbers]
El-Hazard the Magnificent World [#1]
Tenchi Universe TV [#11-13]

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Considering, tho, that they have been working on it forever now, they could have gotten through the growing pains already. I've heard the engine has been pretty solid for a while...

Jason

Alanna

Second Unit
How is Burn Up W? I preordered the Burn Up Excess Complete (probably a brick, I love bricks!) and heard that "W" came first and was wondering if it was worth picking up as a 'warm up' disc? Ahh I just love cheap anime.

Feasted on five eps of Fruits Basket today (well six really - watched one twice). Only eight more to go..... woe is me.

Oh PS I love South Park but don't watch it on cable, I only buy the seasons. Isn't that weird.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Burn-Up W isn't bad, if you like the "cute chicks and token horny guy beat people up with a flimsy excuse for a plot" type of show. The artwork is very glossy, if just the tiniest bit flat, and it's chock full of low comedy. Also as I understand it X-cess is the sequel to W. W was, as a matter of historical interest, the first anime production instigated and funded by ADVision.
By the way, does anyone else think that ADV are making a big mistake in backing this live-action Eva? I mean, every project Gainax has ever been involved in has turned into a financial nightmare, and judging by the degree to which things are still up in the air -- they have a script treatment, but no script, because they're trying to get a big-name director who'll have his own ideas of what the story should be like [this from the horse's mouth] -- it seems like this could go the same way; bankruptcy, or an artistic debacle, or both seem to lurk in the wings. Or maybe it's just my paranoia...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks