What's new

HTF AFI 100 Challenge Revote Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't decided whether I'm going to participate or not but this is my preliminary list. My list includes some films that have never been release on video and/or had little exposure on television over the years. My list might be slanted towards older films but it's just to give some of you some choices you might not have considered.
Crawdaddy's Top 100 Films
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
    All About Eve
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    American Graffitti
    Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    Ben-Hur
    The Best Years of Our Lives
    The Big Sleep
    Bonnie and Clyde
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Cabaret
    Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    Cool Hand Luke
    The Deer Hunter
    Do The Right Thing
    Dr. Strangelove
    Double Indemnity
    E.T.
    Easy Rider
    The Exorcist
    Fantasia
    Forrest Gump
    Frankenstein
    The French Connection
    From Here to Eternity
    The General
    Giant
    The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    The Gold Rush
    Gone With the Wind
    Goodfellas
    The Graduate
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Gunga Din
    High and the Mighty
    High Noon
    His Girl Friday
    Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
    The Hustler
    Inherit the Wind
    In the Heat of the Night
    Intolerance
    It Happened One Night
    It’s A Wonderful Life
    Jaws
    The Killers
    King Kong
    Laura
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Lost Weekend
    MASH
    The Maltese Falcon
    Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
    My Man Godfrey
    A Night at the Opera
    The Night of the Hunter
    North by Northwest
    On the Waterfront
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
    The Ox-Bow Incident
    Out of the Past
    Paths of Glory
    Patton
    The Philadelphia Story
    Platoon
    Psycho
    The Public Enemy
    Raging Bull
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Rear Window
    Rosemary’s Baby
    Saving Private Ryan
    Schindler’s List
    The Searchers
    Shane
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Singin in the Rain
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Spartacus
    Stagecoach
    Star Wars
    A Streetcar Named Desire
    Sunrise
    Sunset Blvd.
    Taxi Driver
    The Thing From Another World
    The Thin Man
    The Third Man
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Top Hat
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Vertigo
    West Side Story
    The Wild Bunch
    The Wizard of Oz
    Yankee Doodle Dandy

AFI's Top 100 Films
  • Citizen Kane
    2. Casablanca
    3. The Godfather
    4. Gone With the Wind
    5. Lawrence of Arabia
    6. The Wizard of Oz
    7. The Graduate
    8. On the Waterfront
    9. Schindler's List
    10. Singin' in the Rain
    11. It's a Wonderful Life
    12. Sunset Boulevard
    13. The Bridge on the River Kwai
    14. Some Like it Hot
    15. Star Wars
    16. All About Eve
    17. The African Queen
    18. Psycho
    19. Chinatown
    20. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    21. The Grapes of Wrath
    22. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    23. The Maltese Falcon
    24. Raging Bull
    25. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
    26. Dr. Strangelove
    27. Bonnie & Clyde
    28. Apocalypse Now
    29. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    30. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    31. Annie Hall
    32. The Godfather, Part II
    33. High Noon
    34. To Kill a Mockingbird
    35. It Happened One Night
    36. Midnight Cowboy
    37. The Best Years of Our Lives
    38. Double Indemnity
    39. Doctor Zhivago
    40. North by Northwest
    41. West Side Story
    42. Rear Window
    43. King Kong
    44. The Birth of a Nation
    45. A Streetcar Named Desire
    46. A Clockwork Orange
    47. Taxi Driver
    48. Jaws
    49. Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
    50. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
    51. The Philadelphia Story
    52. From Here to Eternity
    53. Amadeus
    54. All Quiet on the Western Front
    55. The Sound of Music
    56. M*A*S*H
    57. The Third Man
    58. Fantasia
    59. Rebel Without a Cause
    60. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    61. Vertigo
    62. Tootsie
    63. Stagecoach
    64. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    65. The Silence of the Lambs
    66. Network
    67. The Manchurian Candidate
    68. An American in Paris
    69. Shane
    70. The French Connection
    71. Forrest Gump
    72. Ben-Hur
    73. Wuthering Heights
    74. The Gold Rush
    75. Dances with Wolves
    76. City Lights
    77. American Graffiti
    78. Rocky
    79. The Deer Hunter
    80. The Wild Bunch
    81. Modern Times
    82. Giant
    83. Platoon
    84. Fargo
    85. Duck Soup
    86. Mutiny on the Bounty
    87. Frankenstein
    88. Easy Rider
    89. Patton
    90. The Jazz Singer (1927)
    91. My Fair Lady
    92. A Place in the Sun
    93. The Apartment
    94. Goodfellas
    95. Pulp Fiction
    96. The Searchers
    97. Bringing Up Baby
    98. Unforgiven
    99. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
    100. Yankee Doodle Dandy
Edit:
I must say if I might be so bold that my listing is superior to AFI's.;) I have films that are better and more entertaining but just as groundbreaking socially and film-wise.:)
Crawdaddy

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What do we do about Chaplin?
I would be very opposed to any kind of special dispensation for Chaplin or anyone else. Depending on your point of view, lots of people are over or underrepresented on this list. Frankly, I think the year 1939 is overrepresented (5% of the list). I think all films need to be treated the same, and every one have an equal chance of being kept or deleted. If Chaplin goes from 3 to 0 or 3 to 5, so be it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to decide whether my list should contain a broader spectrum of films at the expense of directors or stars who already have multiple films on the list. In other words, adding breadth to the list by removing the weakest multiple place holders on the list.
Another strategy I'm weighing is whether or not to do one for one swaps on the list. Particularly with regards to replacing earlier films that establish or have importance in a genre with later efforts that take advantage of the ground broken by the earlier film. One example would be replacing Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs with Pinocchio which I consider to be superior.
Robert, That's a great list of titles, but I must ask - No Preston Sturges? Personally, I was shocked when the original AFI 100 list didn't have at least one Sturges film, something I plan to address in my replacement list.
On the other hand, I'm glad to see a few more noirs in your list, which was easily the most neglected genre on the original AFI 100 list.
My potential replacement list, as it stands currently ( unweighted order ) is:
The Big Sleep
Cool Hand Luke
Do The Right Thing
The General
Goldfinger
In Cold Blood
Intolerance
The Last Picture Show
Miller's Crossing
Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Music Man
My Man Godfrey
Nashville
A Night at the Opera
Night of the Hunter
Out of the Past
Paths of Glory
Pinocchio
Rebecca
Red River
The Right Stuff
Sullivan's Travels
Sunrise
The Thin Man
Touch of Evil
- Walter.
Edited for spelling.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I was shocked when the original AFI 100 list didn't have at least one Sturges film, something I plan to address in my replacement list.
Sullivan's Travels is in my replacement list. :)
I also included some others of Walter's:
The Big Sleep
The Thin Man
and would have included Goldfinger except it's British. As a matter of fact I had to leave the following off because of that:
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
A Hard Day's Night
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
Others I had considered, but just didn't make it to my top 25 replacements are:
Cool Hand Luke
My Man Godfrey
Out of the Past
Pinocchio
Rebecca
I tried to see how my list compare's to Crawdaddy's, but his is a mixture of new & old, so it was just too hard. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
George - In the link to the Link Removed I posted above, Goldfinger and From Russia With Love are included in the AFI 400 List. I don't know what the justification for those titles ( or Lawrence of Arabia for that matter ) might be; nevertheless by my reckoning if they are in the 400, they are fair game. ( However, I'm not limiting myself to the 400 List. )
Goldfinger is IMHO the best Bond film, and I felt like 1 Bond film should be on the list.
- Walter

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, That's a great list of titles, but I must ask - No Preston Sturges?
Walter,
Sacrifices had to be made!;) When I selected My Man Godfrey, His Girl Friday and The Thin Man I knew then that I wasn't going to be able to squeeze The Lady Eve or Sullivans Travels onto the list.
Crawdaddy

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
George - In the link to the AFI List Site I posted above, Goldfinger and From Russia With Love are included in the AFI 400 List.
Well damn. I may have to redo my list (if I can, I've already emailed it). I guess I'm going to ask the judges (by which I mean Seth and Edwin) about these others:

A Hard Day's Night

From Russia with Love

Goldfinger

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

The Lady Vanishes

The 39 Steps

Brian E

Screenwriter
Well damn. I may have to redo my list (if I can, I've already emailed it). I guess I'm going to ask the judges (by which I mean Seth and Edwin) about these others:

A Hard Day's Night

From Russia with Love

Goldfinger

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

The Lady Vanishes

The 39 Steps

Please post here what they say. The AFI list does have British films on it already.

The Third Man

Lawrence of Arabia

The Bridge on the River Kwai

A Clockwork Orange

Dr. Strangelove

(as well as 2001 and Dr. Zhivago which some say are British and some say are American)

Making these lists is a lot harder than I thought it would be at first. Are our number of replacements supposed to equal are number of deletions?

Brian E

Screenwriter
For instance, the AFI did not Include The Bride of Frankenstein as a choice and while it might not make our final 100, it definitely deserves a shot.
I definately agree. IMO Bride of Frankenstein should be there before Frankenstein.

BTW, did we decide on a cut off? Is it '96, '98 or something else? IMO somewhere around 5 years would give good prospective.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to selecting films for the HTF 100 list, I think a film should be a good movie first and foremost. Therefore, a film's influence and historical significance should be secondary considerations at best.
So, for example, the films The Jazz Singer and Birth of a Nation, while very influential and historically important, both would be omitted due to the fact that they simply just aren't good movies.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
George, you are the only person so far. :)
I'm not looking at your list till I finish mine as well. But they are safely stored at my end. Thanks.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I'm not clear on how the process will work.

If we vote for FEWER than 25 movies for the "bubble", does that change their weighting in any way?

Or, must we pick our "weakest 25" of the AFI 100?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Regarding weighting I would do this unless another way is preferred by several voters:
I would use a standard weight 25-1, so your top recommends would get more points. We could use no points, just total votes, or I could weight it differently like 10 for a top 5, 5 for a 5-15, 1 for a 16-25, or other scales.
Not trying to get confusing, just trying to keep it FAIR. That's the key. Each way has it's merits. The thing with ranking them now (replacements) is that this allows any of these methods for selection to be applied, even a "1 point each" method.
Regarding Goldfinger and others. If the AFI considered it, we should too. Unless we decide that the AFI was too loose with what it allowed we pretty much have too. And if Goldfinger isn't "American", then how the hell are Kwai and Arabia (of course, that question WAS asked many times by many people when the AFI 100 came out :) ). We've discussed this already during the challenge and I just suspect that in the end there is a feeling that the AFI is close enough on this matter.
HORROR FILMS I agree with Night of the Living Dead. Certainly is a very memorable and copied film that brought us a whole new genre really.
What other horror is there? I need to look. But I certainly think it would be wrong to neglect the entertainment aspect. In fact I think that should still be the #1 criteria, where does the film stand in the aspect of actually entertaining people. Of course artistic merit should be balanced as well, but we can find plenty of films that do both NO MATTER WHAT GENRE.
Goldfinger and Touch of Evil are definately 2 films I would consider putting on there.
Having only seen some of Keaton's The General I would already consider it to replace one of the Chaplin's (The Gold Rush, IMO).
Let's keep kicking around those 25 replacement films and if any of you want your 25 posted to be official make sure to tell me. Keep in mind that you can still email them to me when you have them finalized.
Crawdaddy, I really hope you join in. While the final list will require each of us to conform to the group rather than have our own individual list, I think it's that group interaction that makes it so interesting to do in the first place.
In fact I hope everyone in HTF Movies that has seen all these films would take the time to join us. It's a good exercise in coming to a common understanding of film. If nothing else it helps us sympathise with groups like the AFI or the Academy. I would rather see an HTF list that truly represents the tastes of HTF members who love film enough to see all of these films, rather than just Edwin, George and I putting together a list to show to Walter. :)
We already have our own INDIVIDUAL lists. I think creating a group list would show that some of the complaints about the AFI list are a little unfounded, and it might relieve some of the tension over the "faults" the current list has. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Allen, just reread your post and I answered the wrong aspect.
Since we each can rank the AFI 100 how we see it, we certainly have a "bottom 25", so I don't see why that list would be shorter than 25.
Again, the bubble films are NOT necessarily films you would vote off the list. They are simply the 25 films CLOSEST to being removed.
While number 25 just barely becomes a bubble film and 26 stays safe, that is only on YOUR list. Since it's a group dynamic only the overall least liked films will make this bubble group, and even then some of them are likely to go right back on.
I find it VERY doubtful that we will be able to agree on 25 films that should replace the 25 on the list. Individually I'm certain we could replace 25, heck 50 or more, but as a group with the varied tastes I think we will find it much tougher agreeing on 25 films that should be on above the bottom 25 already there.
For example some of us may push for Goldfinger over The Graduate, but others may push for The General instead, and yet others may vote to keep The Graduate on the list over the split vote on the other 2 films and it ends up staying.
That's what is so important regarding a list like this, it's the tastes of a well-thought group rather than the very personal tastes of one person, even someone as smart as Robert. :)
BTW, at this point I would also weight these bubble lists so that if 10 people put film A at the top of the bubble list and 10 people put film B in the middle, film A would be "ahead" of film B to be ON THE BUBBLE LIST even though both got picked by 10 people. The weight being the amount of dislike (or the lack of like :)).
You don't have to HATE film #84. It just means you do think there are 83 better films on the list. For all we know it might not make the bubble list, and if it does it may still get voted to stay on the list at #84 or even higher.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Did the AFI pick this list in 1999 with a '96 cutoff? If so then I guess we go with the 3 year plan and include films through '98 (hello SPR, Titanic, LA Confidential).

But if you guys feel that 3 years is not enough we could bump it back to 97 or even stick with 96.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I find it VERY doubtful that we will be able to agree on 25 films that should replace the 25 on the list.
What? People here not be able to agree. Nah!:D I salute the people that are able to compile a Top 100 list. I don't think there's anyway possible I can accurately compile my Top 100 films, even based on the AFI 100.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Did the AFI pick this list in 1999 with a '96 cutoff? If so then I guess we go with the 3 year plan and include films through '98 (hello SPR, Titanic, LA Confidential).
I think '98 would be fine or '96, whatever folks want. My vote would probably be for '98 the more I think about it. It kind of keeps the process similar to the criteria the original list had. If we go that route I'll probably be voting for The Thin Red Line and maybe LA Confidential. The important thing is to decide so we can work on our lists. Maybe we could try and have the basic criteria in place by the 11th?

Brian E

Screenwriter
Regarding Goldfinger and others. If the AFI considered it, we should too. Unless we decide that the AFI was too loose with what it allowed we pretty much have too. And if Goldfinger isn't "American", then how the hell are Kwai and Arabia (of course, that question WAS asked many times by many people when the AFI 100 came out ). We've discussed this already during the challenge and I just suspect that in the end there is a feeling that the AFI is close enough on this matter.
So it just needs to be an English language film, or???

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
So it just needs to be an English language film, or???
Why don't we just follow the original guidelines that the AFI used? I couldn't find them on their wed page but I'm certain some one here has the guidelines.

As far as the cut off date, it is suppose to represent the first hundred years of US cinema, (1886-1996) so I would suggest that we stick with that time frame.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Here are the AFI critria I could find.

Feature-Length Fiction Film - narrative format typically over 60 minutes in length

American Film - English language film with significant creative and/or financial production elements from the United States

Critical Recognition - formal commendation in print

Popularity Over Time - including figures for box office adjusted for inflation, television broadcasts and syndication, and home video sales and rentals.

Historical Significance - a film's mark on the history of the moving image through technical innovation, visionary narrative devices or other groundbreaking achievements.

Cultural Impact - a film's mark on American society in matters of style and substance

Major Award Winner - recognition from competitive events including awards from organizations in the film community and major film festivals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks