What's new

HTF AFI 100 Challenge Revote Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Although I had cogitated for quite a while, when I actually set down electron to screen it only took me about 45 minutes to make my list up. I've looked back at it and really don't see anything there that I'd change. 2001 is still better than Shane, and The Apartment is, not surprisingly given my oft-stated antagonism for this picture, dead last on my list. Don't agonize over it. A place or three won't make much difference in the final count.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I am perfectly happy with my rankings (although I absolutely loathe Mark's rankings), although I'm not exstatic about the list itself (still too many films I don't like, and missing some great ones).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
George and Mark are just one example of why (I think) the outcome is better served by the wider range of tastes, as long as those tastes have taken the time to become familiar with these films and others of similar quality.
During the challenge I also included films I hadn't seen in over 5 years to get freshened up on them.
I'll admit that it's not like sitting down and watching each film side by side that day and picking. However, I might suggest the idea of pulling out some of the DVDs (if available to you) and touching on maybe 2 5 minute scenes just to kick in the old memory if you are feeling uptight with some unfamiliarity.
I would say that I feel 90% good about my list. I got to the point where I had films in sections of 10 where I didn't really feel comfortable with films moving either up or down out of that section.
Took me a couple hours total being very methodical. Often I got to points where I had 2 specific films in mind, reflected a bit on them, and directly compared.
Cross comparing also helps, as in Film A vs Film C is a tough call but I definately think A is better than B and that B is better than C. So even though it might be tricky to compare the different styles of A and C I would still consider A better than C via this once removed connection via B.
Like new gangster film vs old musical. Well, I know my feelings on the new gangster film with this old gangster film, and I know my feelings on the old gangster film vs the old musical. It would be easier to compare the similar genres in one case, and easier to compare similar eras in the 2nd case.
Comparitive and critical thinking, despite what some people think, play crucial roles in film study, as they do with the study of any arts. People might be adverse to rankings as if it implies some exacting science to the free flow of art, but to me it forces you to think more deeply about WHY you like certain films.
If you first think "well A is better than B" then I think the most natural thought progression from that is to then say to yourself "why do I think that". Certainly it's the first thing that will come to other people's mind. ;) (followed by "you idiot")
So it's quite a mental exercise to go through such a process.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I can't say how happy I am with my rankings, as I don't have a copy. I can say for sure that I like my top 10 a lot more than my bottom 10. Still, I know there were some movies that I easily could've moved up or down 5, 10, even 15 places. In the end, I know that I'm more likely to agree with my list than anyone else's, and that's the most important thing.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Okay, the time period is over. I'm working on the announcement process/thread right now. I'm just checking in here so you voters know it's not forgotten.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Seth will be posting the final vote anytime now....Tap, tap, tap (looks at watch while tapping foot).....

.....some of us anxiously await the results.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sorry. Windows upgrade the last 2 days. :frowning:
Nothing like debugging a conflict between XP and your motherboard.
The only hold up is the presentation aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks