Htd?????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ryan.p, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Anybody here know anything or had any experience with Home Theater Direct? If so please elaborate. The new levelIII's with ribbon tweeters look really kool. Anybody here own any of their newer products? Anybody here own any of their older? How would you say they compare to other brands that most are more familiar with such as Paradigm? Please let us know. Thank you for your time.

2. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm seriously considering trying the new Level Three with the ribbon tweeter for my office system. Since they're new and not in display rooms there is only a small trickle of feedback at the moment. The previous non-ribbon models were pretty well thought of, and the one or two comments I've seen about the new version have been positive. I may order these and one of the Axiom models (either M2i or M3ti) for comparison. I like the white finish on the Axiom and they are supposed to be very good sounding, but that Kapton ribbon is extremely intriguing.

3. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Paul I agree the ribbon tweeters have all my attention right now. Hey, ever thought about trying an Ascend CBM-170? Talking about positive reviews-very little rivals this one. I have never heard the Axioms either and sure do want to. But, the Ascend products have pique my curiousity. So has HTD.......LOL. Such is the life of an audiophile eh? Be sure to let us know what you think of the HTD and the Axioms.

4. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I did a review of the HTD level 4 towers (which I own a pair of bookshelves) vs. my Rocket 550s a while back:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=191821

I had a chance to listen to the new stuff briefly and thought they were an improvement over the old stuff. They are refined in many ways, especially with the new drivers and ribbon tweeter. The Level 2s impressed me the most with their size/price/performance ratio. The L2s do not have the ribbon tweeter like the L3s, but they are very nice at their price point. I also own a pair of Rocket ELTs, and without comparing it to the L2 bookshelves head to head, I think I may like the L2s more. I'll have to bring my ELTs and do a comparison next time I stop by to pick up my L3 center (next week).

The new 3s have a more laid back (but smoother and more refined) sound than the old 3s. I like them better, but have to get used to their sound. I'm hoping the guys can lend me a pair for the weekend to gain a better idea of how they sound in my home with more materials that I'm familiar with.

Here's a review by OvalNut of his new L2s that he's had for a couple of weeks:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth.../page/0#719266

5. chrisCo

chrisCo Extra

I bought a 5.1 bookshelf set of level 4's when they went on clearance. I live close to where they ship and they have a small showroom where they demonstrate the products that they sell direct. They are a legitimate company with good products that in my opinion offer excellent value, particularly to anything you might buy at a brick & mortar business.

They don't get a lot of buzz on the forums (nobody seems to lately, what happened to all the SVS homers) but clearly somebody buys their stuff and you won't find many negative comments from their customers anywhere.

I noticed you posted elsewhere asking about Polk. I don't know what you are specifically shopping for but if its a bookshelf or center you should at least demo the HTD's, they'll take them back if you don't like them. But you won't I listened to alot of Polks in deciding what to buy and they are probably the best price to performance home theater speaker available at a store but I think HTD (and probably most any internet direct speaker merchant of any significance)outclasses them for less money. I don't want to upset anyone but that was my experience, all I'm saying is HTD is worth your consideration.

6. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. But, can you give me somethings more? I mean how or shall I sat what would you say the level $'s compare to? You know something that most of us are more familiar with. For example, how would you say the level4's bookshelfs compare to the paradigm studio 20? Are there any comparisons to Polk such as in the Rti6? maybe you feel like they sound more like another brand??? care to elaborate?

7. chrisCo

chrisCo Extra

Fair enough. RTi's with similar sized drivers were (I think they've changed a little since I was shopping) more forward and did not image as well as the HTD level 4's. Pushed to higer volumes the RTi's tended to beam and lean bright, where the HTD's don't. The LSi's were on my short list but you're talking 2X the cash and I did not think they were as smooth particularly when pushed.

Comparable Paradigms are also at the higher price point (references or monitors I forget which ones I considered)and I tended to find all speakers I demo'd with the poly cones fatiguing, that's clearly just my preference and if you like that sound the Paradigms were a very well made complete package.

I'll prepare to get flamed here but here goes. If money were no object when I was shopping I would have purchased sonus faber concertos (don't think they make the bookshelf anymore). I'm not saying that HTD level 4's sound exactly like concertos but for those attributes that I appreciate, smoothness, imaging, ability to be pushed and maintain some balance they are right with them. I would also say the HTD's are more natural sounding, the concertos color the sound but do so in a way that is most pleasing to my ear, could listen to them all day.