HTD Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Meaux, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

May 27, 2001

Will be disapointed switching from JBL 4312, 4410's control/studio monitors?

Might sell all this "component" stuff (Adcom 555, 7000, 550 pre., 3 aural exciters, 2 4410's, 2 4312's, 2 DCM 07, 2 RS subs) and get a dang good reciever and a package speaker system. New house is hard to set up for this much junk.

Whadda think?

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Jun 19, 2002
    I have the Level 3 Y combo. Their towers are beasts. Huge bang for the buck. That being said, I have no idea how they would compete with monitors like yours.

The review the HTD setup got on Secrets of HT and Hi-Fi would lead me to think that they would compete well.

Same for the L3 bookshelves.

Their center channel is good. It's a good value but it's not "fireworks good" like the towers.

Their sub is not in the same league as HSU, Velodyne, SVS, etc. It's adaquete for a small room unless you want the lowest of the lows, then I would say look elsewhere.

If I had it to do over I would have gotten the Z combo (four towers, center channel) but skipped the sub.

As far as components, it seems to me after doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere that separates are still the best way to go. My ultimate plan is to have my receiver doing pre/pro duty only in favor of external amps.