HTD speakers Multi-purpose vs High def

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sai, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Sai

Sai Auditioning

I have a friend that is looking for some good ceiling speakers and I came across the HTD speakers. I read many good reviews and every said that they have great customer support.

My question is what is the main difference between the multi-purpose speakers vs the high def speakers. Have anyone herd them side by side? I am talking about the 8" HTD-R3S multi-purpose, I think its the level 3 one vs 8" AL-R80 which sells for $60 more per pair.
    From the info off the site, the AL-R80 has adjustable tweeter level. How important is that? Will that make a big difference?

2. Sai

Sai Auditioning

bump anyone?

3. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I'm not familiar with these speakers, but I'll try to help.

Is this referring to tweeters that can be "aimed?" If so, I think that may be a nice feature because generally I think tweeters don't have very good off-axis response. This would allow you to point the tweeter towards where the listener is.

It wouldn't be a benefit if the listeners are already directly under the tweeter anyway. (no adjustment necessary.)

Matt

4. Micah Wells

Micah Wells Agent

I got to do a demo of the HTD line a couple of months ago. However, they were in the process of moving to a new location, and didn't have the in-walls hooked up. The adjustable tweeter feature is a switch that you can set to boost the high frequencies. I'm not sure about the multi purpose line, but the High def line has the aimable tweeters as well. I can only speak to the appearance, the HD line had different drivers than the others, and when I asked about which they would prefer for HT, he immediately said the HD line. Chris was great to work with and will answer any questions you or your friend have.

By the way, I ended up with the Level three for the front stage and the 6.5 HD in-ceiling for the rears and absolutely love them.