HTD Level Three or Paradigm??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Schaefer, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer Auditioning

I need some opinions on whether I should purchase the HTD (Home Theater Direct) Level Three speakers or Paradigm Monitor speakers. Specifically, I'm considering Paradigm Monitor 7s for the front, Mini Monitors for the rear and the CC-370 center. However, I'm intrigued by all of the positive comments on the HTD Level Three speakers (towers, center, bookshelf). I called HTD's customer service and asked what the closest sounding brand-name speakers would be to that of HTD Level Three speakers. They said that it is difficult to really compare but that their customers claim that they are similar to the Paradigm Monitor series. Any thoughts on which speakers sound better?

The other issue is cost. The HTD set-up will cost about $800. The Paradigm speakers retail for $1,420, but I could probably get them discounted at $1,200 (maybe slightly less). Is the extra $400 for the Paradigm's worth it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
    Doug

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Doug;

It all comes down to personal preference. The HTDs and the Paradigms sound extremely different from one another. The HTDs exhibit a warmer sound, while the Paradigms favor the high end a little more. I suggest you take up HTD on their 30-day money back guarantee and listen to them so that you can compare them with the Paradigms. If you don't like the HTDs, you can, as a first-time customer, return them at no extra charge.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I tried out the HTD Level Three towers and was very happy with them. I did send them back "Long story" but have since decided to go back to them. You will have to pay for shipping on the towers to send them back. They are even better than what they were, so am looking forward to running them again. HTD-Chris> is very good to deal with to.