HTD Level III center channel problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeyB, Jan 26, 2002.

1. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

Sorry for the duplicate ... network problem.

I have had a new HTD level III surround setup for the last month. My 6.1 setup consists of the level III center, two front towers, two bookshelves for L/R surround, and a matching bookshelf for the rear, and the HTD subwoofer, all driven by an Onkyo 797.

Recently, I have begun to notice a distortion with the center channel speaker. With certain dialogue (probably in the upper end of midrange), I can hear a "buzzing" distortion at modest volumes. I first noticed this while watching Predator DVD (DD and DTS), but now I can detect it with others - Gladiator in DTS ES Discrete mode.

The speaker sits on top of my TV with felt pads for feet. I have checked the connections and they are secure. There is no visible defect in the cones or tweeter, and the screws are tight. The distortion does seem to originate from the speaker itself.

I know in various reviews that the HTD level III center is not as strong as the other components, but I have not seen anything written about serious distortions. Could this be a defect in the speaker, or a limitation? Does anyone else who has a HTD level III center channel notice this? Is there something else I should be checking? I have not yet had the energy to move the speaker around or test it further.

2. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    A good friend of mine has the HTD Level III set-up and has not had this distortion. I think you should email HTD and get that center replaced.

Jeff Aguilar

3. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

I think you are right. Even my wife can now hear the distortion, after I pointed it out to her - it must be getting worse. As a final test, I am going to swap it out for my rear bookshelf speaker to see if it is really the culprit.