1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTD Level 3 subwoofer = Dead

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Doing a little reference level listening to favorite music today - System of a Down, Korn, etc. When I noticed suddenly all the bass dropped out. I looked over at the sub and there was no movement of the driver. Looked in back and the power light was out. Moved it to a different outlet, still no power. It seems to have just... died. Are these subs seriously so weak that they can't hold up at reference level? I set the sub up per HTD's recommendation in their manual -
    Level set at maximum, controlled volume at the receiver.
    Crossover set at 80hz.
    RCA connect from my D-1802 receiver from the LFE out to a Y adapter into both inputs on the sub. HTD lists this as the recommended connect method for more gain, etc.
    Now I'm going to have to pay to ship this thing somewhere to be fixed. It's not even a month old!
    Color me -very- unimpressed.

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

hmm. blew the fuse. now i wonder -why-. again, if it's because it can't handle the output then that's useless as a speaker. i guess we'll see. time to find a new fuse, hopefully radio shack has one.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Reference level is only truely accurate if listening to a DD soundtrack that was recorded using that reference. Any other track, especially music on CD won't be recorded at that level. I don't get anywhere near the settings on my amp that produce reference level DD when listening to CDs. Even my Blue Man Group DVD gets way to loud at even 10dB below reference using the DTS tracks, I'm usually at 15-18dB under what reference settings would be for this disc.

Get an SPL meter and tell us what kind of levels you are hitting (using both the C and A weighted scales) while listening to your music. What is your other associated equipment?

As for the capability of the HTD Level III sub. Well, in anything but the smallest rooms it won't be capable of reference levels (you can't exactly expect this from a $270 sub; well unless you DIY, then you can, but again only in a rather small room). The majority of commercial subs aren't.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Perhaps I don't clearly understand what "reference level" means, then. My receiver's volume level was "00". I thought that is reference level, or at least what the manufacturer indicates to be the output level required to achieve reference level.

Regardless, it wasn't -that- loud and I don't think the amp in that sub should have popped a fuse at tht level. The output to the sub was set to -7db on the receiver, I don't see how I'd be overdriving its amp.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Unless those numbers on the receiver were set with your speakers in your room and measured from your listening position, they won't really mean anything.
    A more effecient speaker will be louder than a less efficient one at the same settings on your receiver. Smaller rooms allow speakers to become louder at lower power input levels. Being different distances from the speaker changes the output levels.
    The numbers on the receiver are just reference points to allow you to return to past settings. What those numbers are doesn't mean anything. All that matters is what an SPL meter at your listening position says when a tone that is supposed to be 75dB is playing. If the meter says 75dB, then remember that setting and return there to reproduce it again.
    DD sound tracks have a guide line they are supposed to follow, most do. CDs have no such guide line and therefore there is no set reference level for CDs. You'd have to get in touch with the recording engineer and the group that made the song to find out how loud they intended it to be.
    Give this read to learn more about reference level and system calibration:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...553#post650553

6. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Josh,
    How old is your sub?
    Does the amp have the cheap spring type connectors for high level (speaker wire input)?
    If it does, call HTD up and tell them it keeps blowing fuses and you want their new amp sent to you, the one with the binding post and not the amp with the spring clips (if they have one for the level III).
    I have their level II and the fuse blew and when I installed another one the amp would just make a horrible humming sound.
    Called them up and Chris said that they been having problems with their amps dying. they redesigned their amps, something to due with different IC's (op-amps).
    I received a new amp in 3 days! with a prepaid mailing label for my blown amp.
    If you already have the new style amp with the binding post. Then, I don't know what to tell you. Is the right fuse being used? slow blow 3A fuse, I think. Are you using a surge protector?

Edit: that's if it is still under warranty
    Hope this helps

7. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

8. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

They're hex, you're right. I gave them a quick glance earlier and thought they were star. Thanks again.

10. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

Josh,

How do you like your other Level 3 speakers? My plan was to get the combo Y, but if keep procrastinating with finishing my basement, I may have to consider the Level 4 when they come out in a few months (and lay out the extra cash).

11. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I'd say they're good for the money. In hindsight I wish I had spent more and gotten the Divas/Rockets but I am satisfied with the HTDs.

They're sending me a new subwoofer. They mentioned that they've now had over 20 peoples' subs crap out in this fashion.

oh and i wasn't aware of a level 4 coming out. do you have any info on them? thanks.

12. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

I don't know anything about the level 4's except that they will cost more than the Level 3's and they are supposed to come out some time this fall. I've heard this info from two different sources, so, as vague as it is, I suspect there's some truth to it.

I suspect HTD wants to get a piece of the Diva/Rocket excitement and is putting together a system that can compete with that type of sound quality.