HTD level 3 speaker question about center.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I am seriously considering getting the Level 3 bookshelfs and am wondering what the opinion was on the Level 3 center. I was thinking of using a 3 rd bookshelf as the center. Would this be better than using the Level 3 center? Anyone that's tried the bookshelf as the center, please give me some input. thanks

2. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I have the HTD Level III system with the towers/center/mains. The center really matches well with the system. When I was calibrating with the VE DVD with the pink noise moving across the room I can't tell where one speaker picks up and the other falls off. Since the center is $139 and mains are $199/pr you really are not saving much by using the mains for center. I'm no expert, but I think by using one main for the center you will probably loss some sound stage in the middle. I'm sure there is a reason why most center speaker uses two woofers...

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Actually, using a main speaker as the center will result in better sound. Most manufacturers make MTM center speakers (mid-tweeter-mid) for aesthetic reasons. Who wants to have a smoke stack on top of their TV?

The MTM design results in cancellation of highs once you get outside a sweetspot. This is why a lot of THX speakers use vertically oriented MTM designs to control dispersion. It's called a D'Appolito array.

So, IMO, if you don't mind the looks, I'd go for the HTD main as a center. Otherwise, you're not likely to notice that much difference, since the HTD center does use the exact same drivers as the mains. Also, they apparently made some improvement to the crossover to help in the dispersion issue.

The two woofers do increase sensitivity alot of times, but I'm sure the single woofer HTD main is no slouch.

4. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Well, like I say, I'm no expert. And just to clarify I'm very happy with all my HTD speakers. Althought it seems like such of waste using the mains as surrounds since they can do so much more.

5. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

maybe I'll try both ans send whichever one I don't like back. Maybe get two pair of the book shelfs and the center and try usning one of the bookshelfs as the center. Thanks for the insight.