HTB Questions... Please give me a few suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Besse, Jul 15, 2001.

1. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Ok, I have a friend that is looking into the Home Theater in a Box route. He doesn't want to spend much more than $500, so I can't persuade him to do a better system.
    I reccomended a Kenwood HTB-503 to another buddy, and he thinks it's the best system in the world [​IMG] Lol...
    Anyways, I am torn between reccomending a few different systems. So, I came to the forum for some help.
    Sears has a Denon HTB on clearance for $499. I have a Denon 3801, which I love. However, I know absolutly nothing on their HTBs. I took a listen to it, and was impressed at the system for the price.
    Now, exactly what I'm looking for is a suggestion on which of the following you'd suggest.
    Kenwood released an HTB-504 (I guess is this year's model of the 503). Would you advise him to get the Denon, the Kenwood HTB-503, or HTB-504.
    All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    - John
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Does the Denon package come with an entire set up like the Kenwood?
    The Kenwood HTB-504 with the VR-507 receiver w/DPL II, 5 speakers and a 100 watt powered sub will be hard, if not impossible to beat at the $500 price point....IMHO.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

The HTB 504 is an excellent deal for the money. I set one up for my neighbor and am always surprised at how good it sounds.

4. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    The Denon is a whole HTB Package. I don't rememeber the receiver model number, but it is one of their cheaper models. The Denon is just a DD amd DTS receiver with a 5.1 speaker set up. Similar to that of the Kenwood HTB-503. The drivers on Denon's speakers are not paper like Kenwood's. I think the Denon is of far better build quality. The Denon, like I said, is on clearance from $799 to $499.
    I'm not to familiar with the Kenwood HTB-504. Does is it feature Prologic II? Hmm, now that I think of it if I remember right Pioneer DVD players don't output the PCM stream correctly to have a receiver with PLII to automatcially pick it up. So, PLII isn't the biggest deal to me.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection