HTB-504 (VR-507) speaker level question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobY, Jan 1, 2002.

1. RobY

RobY Auditioning

I just set up my Kenwood HTB-504 tonight. I tried to set the speaker levels by ear, but it's near impossible. I plan on getting a sound level meter from Radio Shack or Ebay. Can someone please explain the procedure to set the levels using the meter. Just for reference, the VR-507 volume goes from -99 to -7 dB and the speaker levels go from -10 to +10 dB. Please explain the procedure in idiot terms. I'm new to this stuff.

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

This is one of the best explanations for calibration that you'll find, IMO. If there's anything that isn't clear after reading it let us know.
    Good luck,
    Vin

3. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

The easy way:

Turn on the Sound meter and set the dial at 70

Place the sound meter in the area where you want the sweet spot to be.

Put the weighting switch in the C position.

Put the response switch in the fast position.

Put the receiver in the speaker tone mode.

Wait for the tone to cycle around to the front left.

Turn up the main volume on the receiver until the needle is about in the middle of the range '0'.

Now as the tones cycle, use the multi control to adjust the level of each speaker to match the front left.

I set all speakers this way, even the sub.

When you are done, sit back and enjoy a movie at the volume you like.

4. RobY

RobY Auditioning

You can adjust the sub the same way? When I'm running the tones it doesn't even sound like a fart coming out of the sub.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

6. RobY

RobY Auditioning

7. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

The VR-507 reciever that comes with the HTB-504 has a built in sub crossover; it's crossover point is dependent on what you have the front speaker size set to. I have the crossover set to off on my sub as recomended by the Kenwood manual.

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Rob, set the RS meter to C weighting and SLOW response. Then set the main volume on the receiver to whatever you want.....this will be where reference is after calibration, so just remember where you had it set. Setting it to zero is easiest to remember but may not give you enough room to adjust each channel to the proper level, so you may have to start with a lower volume setting, -10 possibly.

Then play the test tones (I prefer either Video Essentials or Avia over the receiver's test tones). Adjust the speaker output levels to 75db each if you're using VE or the receiver's test tones, or to 85dB each if you're using Avia. (The link I provided above explains the differences in these calibration discs). You may want to set the subwoofer a few dB higher than the rest of the channels according to what sounds best to you. Another point regarding the subwoofer output would be to set the output level for the sub at about -5 and then make adjustments with the volume control on the sub itself.....this will minimize distortion and still give you some rooom for adjustment from the receiver.

Steve, if the sub doesn't have a bypsass mode just set the crossover to it's highest setting, essentially disabling it.....setting all speakers to small will engage the receiver's bass management system which is best when using the sub pre-out from the receiver, IMO.

Vin

9. RobY

RobY Auditioning

Vin,

Thanks. I set the LF speaker to 0 and pumped up the volume until it was reading 75dB on the meter. Then I adjusted the rest of the speakers using the speaker level settings.

Mark,

THe Kenwood manual says to leave the crossover ON. Page 10, #4 in the SW-35HT Subwoofer manual says,"Set switch to ON when this Subwoofer is used in combination with Kenwood receiver (VR-507 etc)."

Where do I get these test discs?