HT1000 and screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JustinMac, Mar 17, 2004.

1. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

I think I made a decision on a projector. I chose the NEC HT1000 DLP projector. However, now I have to find a sutible screen for it. For sure I want a fixed panel screen in HD format (16:9)...and I really don't want a screen below 100" diagonal. Now the problem is that on ProjectorCentrals site, they say that the ht1000 should be used with a screen that is less than 100" diagonal. Would a 106" diagonal screen be too much to ask? Let me know your thoughts on this, and any recomendations.
    ProjectorCentral says this:

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It should depend on the screen gain, and your own viewing preferences. Basically, the higher the gain to your viewing area, the bigger the screen you can use.

Consider asking the manufacturers for a few sample pieces.

3. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

Well I'll probably have the projector at 12' from the screen, which would be a high contrast screen. All I'm asking is...can I use a 106" diagonal screen?

4. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

Already a day old...anyone wanna help?

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

With the lens 12' from the screen, that projector can throw an image from 97" to 117" diagonally, so you're ok in terms of size.

Whether it'll be bright enough depends on a few issues.

You said high contrast screen. What are the the gain numbers of the screens you're looking to get?

6. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

The room will be completely dark. So that isn't a problem. I'm not sure on the gain on a Stewart high contrast screen, but on a DaLite hi contrast screen the gain is 1.1

7. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Look out for the offset of this projector. It is very high. Your ceiling may not be high enough for that throw distance and screen size. Check the NEC throw table.

8. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

My theater will have vaulted ceilings....at least 10' high where the projector will be.

Go to my website and click Pictures, and look at the 4th one. The screen is going on the wall you see there.

9. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

*bump*

10. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

Will someone please respond!

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

to what? You will need to consult the throw information for your particular projector. You will probably also want/need to hang it down from your ceiling at a proper level. It shouldn't be too intrusive, it's a small unit, you can hang it on a simple pipe mount or something.

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The dalite high contrast screens (as with all Dalite HT screens I believe?) are retroflective, so they throw the most light back towards the light source. So, if you are ceiling mounting the projector, the full 1.1 gain area on that screen would be near the projector. At your seating area, it'll probably be substantially lower than that.

A screen of that material, with that size, with that bright of a projector may be sort of dim for most people.

13. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

SO what kind of screen do you recommend?

14. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

anyone???

15. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

You can always email the screen manufacturers for samples of their screens and judge for yourself what's the best screen.
    There's (dalite.com) (carada.com)and (stewartfilm.com)

16. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

ok thx i will do that

17. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

The answer to your question would be yes.

I have owned the HT1000 for about a year and 1/2 now and am using a Dalite Cinemavision 1.0 gain screen with this projector. Screen size you ask is 119" Diagonal. My room is 100% light controlled however I usually have lights on in the room when watching.

My suggestion would be to go one size down from what I have (what I would have done in retrospect) as well as move up in gain on the screen.

Supposedly a very common screen used is the Dalite High-Contrast. I would also recommend looking into a new screen the Carada Brilliant White. Very nice looking and affordable pricing. Some very good info over at AVS forums on them. Lastly if you want the ultimate look at a VuTec Silverstar. This is what I want but no way I could afford it.

There are plenty of options for you but again you will be fine with that screen size.

Greg

18. JustinMac

JustinMac Auditioning

Thanks greg, I like that kind of feedback. I'm looking into the Carada Firehawk screen (1.3 gain) and 106" diag. I'v also asked for a sample from them, along with DaLite and Stewart.