HT Wall Coverings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Fletcher, May 9, 2001.

1. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Looking for a recommendation on wall coverings for a home theater I am currently building. Drywall is up (2 layers with insulation behind it).
    I know thick curtains is a good option, but I don't really like the look. Has anything else worked well for you? Textured paint or textured wallpaper?
    How about the ceiling? I was thinking about a stipled finish? Will it help?
    Thanks for any help. Bill

2. David Lange

David Lange Auditioning

Personally, I like plain painted wallboard. I have also used acoustic panels (homebuilt...see my post here: http://hjem.wanadoo.dk/~wai13589/theater.html )
    The fabric for acoustic panels should be heavy so that it gives an unwrinkled look. The upholstery fabrics are good choices. Many colors, textures.
    I think the stipled textures on walls and ceilings looks a little out of date in most cases.
    David

3. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Go crazy like me and put commercial grade carpet on the walls!
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Bill,
    I put up trim board around my HT room about 2.5' up the wall. From that trim board up to the ceiling, I covered the walls with a heavy black felt (more like a low pile carpet). I am very happy with the results so far and it sounds excellent. I hung drapes across the entire back wall to cover a big window.
    I am in the middle of the re-vamp so I do not have any pics up on my site yet. I purchased the material at Home Depot.
    I was using some acoustic sound panels I pulled out of an IMAX theater, but found they absorbed too much sound.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/