What's new

HT TV vs HT Projector; Which ever do I choose?? (1 Viewer)

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
Choices of Panasonic 86cm Wide ScreenTX-86PW200A TV $4300.00 VS Panasonic AE-500 Projector with 100Inch Screen $3800.00;

Panasonic TV

VS

Panasonic Projector

First up take a look at my room.

At present it seems that a projector would be best suit with the distance from the wall to the main sofa. However the rug is “long” ways at the moment, I was thinking of moving it so it would go across the room. This would mean the sofa could be closer, better suiting the TV; also adding the bonus of having a wider spread for the front speakers.

Only $500.00 between the two, The TV would require 3 months of extra saving (Not for the $500.00, it requires I different payment plan); The projector I could purchase now. However the setting up of the Projector would be more costly, tho It does have the “WOW” factor. I am impressed with both items picture quality.

I’m love both, but as always can only choose 1. I suppose the bonus of the TV means I would always have the curtains open as well as being able to redecorate the room easier.

On the other hand having the projector would mean a more “home theatre” atmosphere.

Which do I choose?

ps;As always thanks for your comments.

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
There are a few questions you can ask yourself that will help you decide:

1: Can I have virtually complete light control?

2: Will I use it mainly as a movie theater? Or will it be used like a TV, on all the time, channel surfing?

3: How big an image can I throw?

If you can control the light, want to watch mostly movies, and can project a significantly larger picture than the RPTV, then get the PJ. It completely blows away any TV in terms of the theatrical experience.

But, if you cannot control light for daytime viewing, want to use it for a lot of casual channel surfing, or can't shoot a really large picture, then a TV may well be a better choice.

In an ideal world you would have both; a TV for casual viewing, and a PJ for when the lights go down & the movie starts. Many PJ owners have just this, with a pulldown screen in front of their TVs, or the TV in another room.

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for taking the time to reply Kevin. Great Advice.

Im wanting 90% DVD's and 10% TV. Which will be 99% at night and I can control the light into the room.

From thinking it over again. I think the PJ will be the go.

:)

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
I think you'll be very happy;) Make sure you feed it a good source; when you blow up an image that large the Garbage In, Garbage Out (GIGO)motto really applies!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Definitely consider a front projector seriously. Small, light, big picture per dollar. Near Total light control is one major concern. If you can acheive total darkness in your home theatre room, you have ideal conditions for a projector.

Eric Hahn

Agent
also if you make your own screen, you can be well under the price for the ae500 that you posted...

I use a l200u and a mits 48 hdtv, no comparison, I get much more enjoyment from the fp!!

think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks