1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HT system in small bedroom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Bennett, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett Auditioning

My bedroom is very small(8.5 ft x 9.5 ft) but is the only place I will be able to set up a home theater system. I don't want a really powerful system because my budget is only about $350. I would like to get a system for watching dvd's and for the xbox i'm going to buy. So, I don't neccesarily need a system with a dvd player but it wouldn't matter if it did. I think I'm going to have to buy a HTIB. Anybody have any suggestions on what I could buy? Any help is appreciated.

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

www.hometheaterdirect.com level one package $149. Inexpensive Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood, Onkyo receiver at Best Buy or Circuit City around $250, look for open box sale or online.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

eric -

do a search in this forum for "kenwood htb". you'll find lots of people (myself included) who like these. for the price, they're hard to beat.

the one most people recommend (htb-504) is about 500 though. i think there's a new model out, but i can never remember the number.

or, just do a search for "recommend htb" - i'm sure you'll find lots of info.

good luck!

4. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The new Kenwood is the HTB-505, worth the extra $150 imo.

5. Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I have about a month before I'm going to buy my system so I might be able to make a few extra bucks to expand my budget. The Kenwood systems look good so I might go with one.

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

A system with an overachieving subwoofer (according to C|NET reviews), the Philips MX966, sounds very good for its price. I think it even offers better sound than Bose, for the little speakers they use. The speakers have 3" midbass and a tweeter, btu the sweetest part of this deal is the subwoofer, which is equipped with the wOOx system.

wOOx is a proprietary system used by Philips in shelf systems and HTiB's to coax more bass out of a smaller enclosure. It involves specialized EQ to drive a slave-driver. The wOOx slave is a new, patented design for a super-long-excursion passive radiator. After reviewing the patent documents for the wOOx passive radiator, I have come to the conclusion that it is really rather ingenious and well-thought out. It is designed to keep the double surrounds from bulging out while the mass element stays still, for long excursion without weird anomalies. Long excursion is necessary so the wOOx slave can have displacement without being large. In every system that I have heard that was equipped with wOOx, the bass was better than any other shelf system on those shelves, the only bass I could actually feel. wOOx uses the passive radiator differently than most conventional speaker systems use it. The enclosure is ported, but also has the wOOx slave in it, so I think that the wOOx is set in motion by the woofer action, and then it contributes to the pressure in the box, forcing air in and out of the port more than just a driver would. The slave does not seem to put out more sound, but it certianly aids the woofer in producing that sound. Whatever the application, wOOx has always had the best results, wherever it has been used. And watching the thing throb in and out is sort of hypnotic.

Anyway, the subwoofer was able to go down super-low without farting out (with the added help of the wOOx slave) and it was louder than any of the others. I would have chosen that HTiB over all the others when I had the chance to hear the MX965 at the local Best Buy. The MX966 upgrades from 50 watts to 100 watts in the amplifier and is grey, while the MX965 was black. The only drawback is that this HTiB does not have a DVD player, but you can add your own, in the form of one of those combo DVD+VHS decks, if that is your desire.

That's my suggestion. You can order the Philips MX965 or 966 online. You can go to Wal-Mart and hear a shelf system with wOOx2, which uses an improved bass radiator. And it's just so darn cool-looking.

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Now that I think about it, the sound was MUCH better than the Bose systems.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a second system in my bedroom. Since I upgraded my DVD in my main room, I stuck the other one in the bedroom, so I needed a little system to go with it. I went to my local B&Ms and looked for open box or older gear and got a Marantz SR4000 for $150 with a warranty. I picked up a pair of Paradigm Titans for $200, with the intention of getting the others, but found that 70w and two Titans was more than enough for my bedroom (~12x14) for movies and music. Just a thought, but you also may not need a full 5.1 setup in a smaller room.