What's new

HT subwoofer cont.. (1 Viewer)

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I love my DIY Eminence lab12 but like a drug I need more bass. this might be more for the DIY crowd but for music fidelity and LF effect would I be better off with a Dayton DVC 15 in 3.0ft3 sealed enclosure or the lab12 in a 3.4ft3 ported enclosure tuned to 24hz, either one would be powered by a 500w bash amp cut off at 100hz for bookshelf speakers. I put both in WinISD but that only gives you the freq range SPL and max excursion?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Post your response graphs.

I haven't dealt with the 15" DVC but I have used the 12" version in a few different builds. The DVC has more excursion than the Lab. Both are made by Eminence so quality is the same.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
2 closed lab12 drivers still only have an f6 of 30hz but some pretty serious SPL for sealed 12s once you figure room gain about 115db peak.
I really want to reach down to 20hz, the ported lab12 and sealed DVC15 can both do so but in a different way. From an observation the DVC15 has a lower group delay but it might be harder to cross over with bookshelf speakers b/c the size of the drive. The lab12 has a high group delay but it isn’t extreme by any means. Eminence recommends a high pass filter but my current 500w bash amp doesn’t have one unless its internal.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Depends on how well the design does above about 100Hz and where you're crossing it, so the mains can matter too - if you can cross them lower, then that becomes less of an issue as you get into the range where the sub does better. My former Adire Tempest / vented Sonotube never had problems blending, and it was tuned to 17.5Hz. Current Empire is dual 15" sealed and blends really well and gets down to 16Hz but isn't nearly as convincing in the low 20s and below as my vented was. That's the tradeoff with sealed in most cases, less rumble for that clean sound and I prefer that clean sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks